Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • BIOS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2009 4:56:43 AM

Checking the FTP site earlier tonight, I found they had released a new BIOS for the FX6800 series system.

It's dated 12/23/2009 FX6800_BIOS_842P181G.zip 793 KB

There is the usual files packed in the zip files including a .pdf document which is very poorly written and contains some bad information.

Remember - This must be done from an Administrator Account

Once you download the file, you can save the contents (a folder containing 6 files) to the "root" directory
of the "Local Disk (C)".

Next open Notepad and paste the following line into it: AFUWIN.EXE 842P181G.ROM /p /b /c /REBOOT
and save as update.bat. Place this file in the folder containing the BIOS update files.

Now physically disconnect your system from your network. (unplug the network cable from the back of the system)
Do a quick check to make sure your system is clean of any Malware or other parasites.
Then disable any Anti-Virus or other resident Security programs.

Go to your Control Panel > User Accounts and disable UAC - Your system will now need a Reboot.

-

Soon as your system finishes loading, Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Now enter CD C:\BIOS_842P181G
Next enter update

You should see the BIOS start to update, then when it finishes, then system will shutdown quickly but the fan will stay on. Now at this point I advise you to wait a minute just in case. If after a minute the system has not rebooted, hold the power button in until it shuts down fully (10seconds).

Now restart the system and be ready to hit F2 after it starts. You will notice that there will be a Check Sum error. This is OK, the BIOS Update took just fine, you just need to enter the BIOS and make some adjustments to return everything to how you had it set before the update. After you finish with the BIOS and save your settings, you will find that the Check Sum error will be gone.

I have already updated my system with this BIOS and after you run the update, Select
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

You'll notice that in the Right Pane where it says BIOS Version/Date it lists AMI R01-B0, 5/19/2009

Now don't forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus and other security programs and to reconnect your network cable.

-

For anyone having any problems, here is the link to the old thread.
Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported

It's almost 2:00AM in the morning and I'm heading to bed G'night everyone :) 

More about : fx6800 bios 842p181g

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2009 1:39:46 PM

Ok, just did a Quick edit this morn to add the Bolded Red information reminding everyone that this must be done from an administrator account.
December 25, 2009 7:12:29 PM

I installed the bios update and it appears to be working for Windows 7. It changed a few of the bios options, vt and added eist (which I enabled for no good reason other that to see what it does. CPUs show up as 'parked" now).

rgbm3 :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 26, 2009 3:24:00 AM

i keep getting a error: file rom id incorrect i read on http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257928-30-gateway-680... that you said adding /x would cause it to not check rom id. would that be ok to use in this situation? if so how would it be written? would it be AFUWIN.EXE 842P181G.ROM /p /b /c /x /REBOOT ? im sorry, im a newb at messing with bios/updating it
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2009 11:12:23 AM

Morning!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! :) 

The correct format in your case would be as follows:

AFUWIN.EXE 842P181G.ROM /p /b /x /c /REBOOT

the /c must come after the /x when used together.

/P - Program main BIOS image
/B - Program Boot Block
/X - Don't Check ROM ID
/C - Destroy CMOS checksum (Clear nVRAM)
December 26, 2009 3:12:17 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. thanks for the info and fast reply! ill give it a try, hopefully i wont have a paper weight when im done lol.
December 26, 2009 3:28:34 PM

ok, it seemed to take just fine. would you be able to explain to me what to change in the bios to make my computer run better? thanks for all your help!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2009 5:12:24 PM

Gateway (Acer) didn't bother to include any information as to the changes in this updated BIOS.

But my guess is (?)possibly(?) better support for Windows 7.
Plus they also did make a few changes /additions in the BIOS which you will notice when you look through the BIOS settings.
January 19, 2010 3:19:59 AM

I am not seeing the core speed go up into the 2.9s as before it seems to be in the 2.6s. have you noticed this after the new bios update? Or did I maybe turn something off in the new bios?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 10:10:37 AM

Did you go into the BIOS and verify your settings after updating the BIOS?

Also, have you cleaned your system recently as this can make a difference too as the turboboost relies on core temps and heat retention would affect this.
January 19, 2010 12:55:49 PM

Hi, cleaned recently. Is there a post somewhere that tells us what we should have on in the new bios? I think I must have disabled something in the new bios. What part of the new bios turns on turbo boost? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 1:05:16 PM

Turboboost is a feature which is self enabling and is dependent on the temperature of the processor. The cooler the processor runs, the faster the processor is able to run.

It's basically self overclocking with the temperature being the regulator.

As to settings in the BIOS, if the Fan was previously running faster (loud), then smart fan was probably Disabled. This in itself would make a difference cause higher fan speeds would mean more air flow meaning more active cooling.

But even so, I do recommend going through the BIOS and checking all your settings to be sure everything is as you want them.
January 19, 2010 1:48:04 PM

Smart fan is disabled and things are cool enough for it to overclock as before. It is not going above much above 2.6 now. For advanced chipset features intel eist is disabled. Also for the speed step option under voltage this is also disabled. I will keep an eye on things but something seems a little off. As far as I know everything else is set up the same as in my old bios and this new one besides the ones mentioned. Maybe we could compare our bios settings are you going above 2.6? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 2:39:58 PM

Mine has mostly been running about 2.79 GHz

I could probably get it higher than that if I were to go to liquid cooling.

As to BIOS settings, I haven't done anything special with mine. But if you're interested, here is the latest hacked BIOS for this system from the other Gateway BIOS threadthread.
January 19, 2010 7:07:08 PM

Alright seems that enabling the intel eist allowed the core speed to get into the high 2.7s. I enabled the spread step as well (not speed step as I had said earlier). I seem to remember being able to get into the 2.8s and .9s before though. Also things where more sporadic now it really stays at those speeds and does not jump around. Before I would see it jumping all over the place.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2010 7:14:57 PM

Sounds like your system is running more stable now. :) 

All that is left is to bring the temp down even more to get higher speeds.
January 19, 2010 10:09:06 PM

Ok I installed the older bios before this one again. I am able to get the core speed to 2.9 again and the multiplier is able to change instead of being locked it can go up to 22 now. Before I think it was locked on maybe 20. The new bios seems to prevent turbo boost overclocking to around a steady 2.79. As I am writing this it is 2931.30. Very interesting not sure what way is better but i like seeing the 2.9. Just a note I guess I have been saying 2.9 when i say this I mean 2900 Mhz etc.
January 20, 2010 4:34:50 PM

Quote:
As to BIOS settings, I haven't done anything special with mine. But if you're interested, here is the latest hacked BIOS for this system from the other Gateway BIOS threadthread.

Which other thread is that? I was considering applying the Unlocked BIOS from above, but wanted to get as much information as possible. This is always a risky endeavor for me as I don't have nearly the skill level as some people on the forum.

One question I have in particular is:
With this BIOS will I be able to take advantage of faster DDR3 PC3-12800 • DDR3-1600 memory?

That above anything seems to be the slowest aspect of this Gateway. I ended up getting a referb and wanted to get more ram. When I got the system it stated that it had 3 GB, but all I ever see is 2 GB through the system. I'll have to look further with some of the techniques I've learned here.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2010 5:16:43 PM

The other thread is this - Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported which is also linked in the very first post of this thread here.

The Hacked BIOS was posted here by MelodyChloe in the other thread and this was the second one she posted which by the way was the newest Gateway BIOS after it had been hacked.

As for memory, I honestly don't know if it does anything with the memory. You'd have to find out from the one who hacked it.

If you have your replies set to 50 per page, then her first post will be page 5 of the thread, 39 posts down the page.
February 18, 2010 11:38:25 PM

Renegade_Warrior you are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: 

Thanks for all your help

Thanks for taking out the time to help me :hello:  :pt1cable:  :sol: 
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2010 2:37:22 AM

You're Welcome :) 
March 8, 2010 6:54:59 PM

I also had a question concerning this bios update. I just installed it a few days ago and notice that randomly, the fans will rev up very fast for about 15-20 seconds, then wind back down. Not too sure if this is the 'Smart Fan' feature or not, but it definitely sounds intense. Haven't played around with much of this stuff in years, so I'm a little out of practice.
March 25, 2010 4:04:19 AM

The setting within BIOS, PC Health Status, "Smart Fan" [ Enabled/Disabled ] when disabled will result in the loud sound coming from the system chassis, once the change has been accepted and written.

This mode of operation will cause instability of the video card crashing (no matter which version of Win OS is being used, although Vista seems to be more problematic when using the 64-bit edition). It doesn't matter which version of ATI drivers are being used. It doesn't matter which version of BIOS is being used.

The actual event seems to be a crashing of display drivers stopped ( amdkmdap ) responding and was unable to be recovered. Win OS then fails. The only response is to Hard Reset the computer by depressing the power button for over 5 seconds in duration, or by removing physical power to the chassis.

If you run BIOS "Smart Fan" as [ Enabled ], this same series of events occur much less frequently (hours, days or weeks apart), where running as [ Disabled ] will cause crashes typically within 10-15 minutes.

-------------------

Root cause of this issue is the under sizing of the power supply, based upon the installed 450 watt unit being used in either the Gateway shipped system, or the refurbished units ( I have a 2-day old refurbished unit, built in Jan-2009 ). I have a FX6800-01e, with the 1GB video card from ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series.

Resolutions

Don't run as Disabled, and if running enabled, try to limit the environmental temperatures that the system is exposed to, along with the CPU demand, as when the CPU/SYSTEM gets hot, the fans increase their speed/RPMs and demand more power from the power supply. Depending upon this event duration, the Video card instability can occur, which will cause the system to crash.

The long term resolution is the replacement of the power supply with one from a reputable vendor, rated at least between 650 watts and 750 watts (I would recommend going 750+ watts, depending upon what additional devices you will be installing (there are three additional hard drive bays, along with an additional optical drive bay).

When reading the other threads which involve the Gateway FX6800 series machines, the common solution was to replace the power supply, and once done, the frequency of problems have subsided.

---- Change out the Power Supply ----
March 25, 2010 11:10:35 AM

I can vouch for the power supply upgrade. I upgraded to 750 watt and have FAR fewer problems. I have another question, though. I've been reluctant to upgrade the BIOS, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried replacing the mobo on their fx6800-01e? Any thoughts on this? A recommendation for a compatible mobo would be greatly appreciated.
March 25, 2010 11:29:25 AM

ovrzlus said:
I can vouch for the power supply upgrade. I upgraded to 750 watt and have FAR fewer problems. I have another question, though. I've been reluctant to upgrade the BIOS, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried replacing the mobo on their fx6800-01e? Any thoughts on this? A recommendation for a compatible mobo would be greatly appreciated.

I upgraded to " 842P181G " , which is found on the Gateway Support website, but you would need to take the option of selecting "All Windows Operating Systems" to find this version.

If you follow the instructions for upgrading the BIOS, it will apply and work.

The actual BIOS version info is:

R01-B0 (05-19-2009)

which was packaged by Gateway as 842P181G and made available in December 2009.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2010 12:05:21 PM

dan_sundin said:
I upgraded to " 842P181G " , which is found on the Gateway Support website, but you would need to take the option of selecting "All Windows Operating Systems" to find this version.

If you follow the instructions for upgrading the BIOS, it will apply and work.

The actual BIOS version info is:

R01-B0 (05-19-2009)

which was packaged by Gateway as 842P181G and made available in December 2009.

All you really need is the direct link to the Gateway Ftp site which has the password & username included in the link.

ftp://esupport:vImvF88@ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/

I've had this link since shortly after I purchased my system in the fall of 2008.

As to the BIOS name and version information, it can be found at the very beginning of this thread along with other information.

The power supplies in the FX6800 systems are seriously under powered. Swapping out the power supply
with a more powerful unit has been one of the things I have been recommending for awhile now.

The other thing I have been recommending for this system is Liquid cooling
cause this system has a very poor air flow design for keeping the system cool.

Here are a couple of brands of Liquid Cooling Tech to check out.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?S=1119

From Swiftech, I would recommend the H20-220 Ultima XT, although I feel the Thermaltake P500 would be a better replacement for the Swiftech pump. Anyone getting a liquid cooling system, I would advise getting the cooling block for the North Bridge as this chipset does run hot in the FX6800 system.

Thermaltake does offer some Liquid Cooling solutions for Video cards.

If you're just wanting to get your feet wet and you're not too sure about liquid cooling, then go with the Corsair H50 unit, although with this one, you will want the pump running full blast which will mean disabling the Smart Fan in the BIOS. This unit will eliminate a lot of the fan noise and your system will run quieter.
April 26, 2010 12:10:50 AM

Hi Renegade Warrior. I've had this FX6800 gateway since it came out(upgraded PSU and got 5850 + 3 more ram and put Win 7 on it but only recently discovered that turbo bost does not work with the old BIOS.
So I followed you directions for updating, created the new update file and put it with the other bios files on my C:\ drive but when I type update in comand promt
It says -Bootblock cheeck .... ok
-Monule checksums...... ok
-Error: File ROM ID icorrect
<press any key....>

not sure what is wrong
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2010 12:27:26 AM

You need to use the /X switch which tells it to ignore ROM ID

That would be the forth post in this thread where I start with

Morning!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
April 26, 2010 12:45:48 AM

saw that post right after I submitted:( 

It worked! I'm a happy camper, thanks!!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2010 12:54:01 AM

You're welcome :D 

The turboboost (self Over Clocking) is temperature dependent.

This means keeping your system clean periodically and the cooler you can get your system, the better it'll run.

Liquid cooling would be your best bet and don't forget the North Bridge while you're at it if you go this route.
October 29, 2010 1:24:04 AM

Hello,
I upgraded the ram on my FX6800-01e with a matched set of 6 x 2gb sims Corsair HX3X12G1333C9. At first it worked great, the memory was recognized and all was well.. until I tried rebooting. It hands at startup with a black screen and a continuous beep. If I press the power button for 10 secs and the restart sometimes it boots fine but other times is just hangs and beeps again..(it beeps probably 4 out of 5 attempts).. I contacted Corsair and they said upgrade the BIOS so I followed the instructions in this thread and (I now have flashed the 842P181G BIOS).

After that my system only recognized 4gb ram and still had the same problem of hanging with a long beep most of the time but occasionally booting up ok..

In despair I have put back in the original 3Gb ram until I find a solution.. any ideas? I assume that it is possible to use this RAM as I have read other posts from people that have done it..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2010 1:49:24 PM

I have a fairly good idea what your problem is and I'm in the middle of typing a response in the other thread right now.

Although my daughter has no school today and is driving me nuts, so it may take a little while. :) 
December 14, 2010 5:18:19 PM

adams321 said:
Hello,
I upgraded the ram on my FX6800-01e with a matched set of 6 x 2gb sims Corsair HX3X12G1333C9. At first it worked great, the memory was recognized and all was well.. until I tried rebooting. It hands at startup with a black screen and a continuous beep. If I press the power button for 10 secs and the restart sometimes it boots fine but other times is just hangs and beeps again..(it beeps probably 4 out of 5 attempts).. I contacted Corsair and they said upgrade the BIOS so I followed the instructions in this thread and (I now have flashed the 842P181G BIOS).

After that my system only recognized 4gb ram and still had the same problem of hanging with a long beep most of the time but occasionally booting up ok..

In despair I have put back in the original 3Gb ram until I find a solution.. any ideas? I assume that it is possible to use this RAM as I have read other posts from people that have done it..

I am experiencing the EXACT same issue except I am using 3x4g of Mushkin PC3 10666 9-9-9-24 1.5V silverline modules with the stock. If I only use one of the Mushkin's it will work fine, anything else BEEEEEEP. Worked fine once then had to remove the new RAM.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 6:23:04 PM

Ok, what happened is adams321 had posted in two threads and PM'd me.

I left a short reply in the this thread, replied via PM and posted an answer in the other thread. :D 

Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported - Page 12

Just scroll up a little and you'll see two posts from adams321
(I have my settings to 50 replies per page)

Hope this helps

Merry Christmas
December 14, 2010 6:33:07 PM

Quote:
Ok, what happened is adams321 had posted in two threads and PM'd me.

I left a short reply in the this thread, replied via PM and posted an answer in the other thread. :D 

Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported - Page 12

Just scroll up a little and you'll see two posts from adams321
(I have my settings to 50 replies per page)

Hope this helps

Merry Christmas

RW,

I actually did read all of that. I tested each individual RAM module seperately (one at a time) and they all worked. Next I adjusted the NVRAM and like ADAM321 it never indicated it saved after pressing f10 in bios and restarting. I then did the opposite of your advice regarding the voltage and selected disabled on the voltage variable (I can't remember exactly what sections it was but it was what came up when I selected one of the right hand columns of options in the bios man menu screen). Still didn't work. I then removed all of the memory and once again inserted in one by one, worked for the old, but not the new. THen I installed the old RAM 1x3gb in the blue sockets, as they had always been in the white, the ram didn't work. THen I installed all the new RAM on the white sockets where the old RAM had been, and installed the old in the blue. Bingo, that worked. I've restarted the computer 2 times since, and it has worked without issue, once a "restart" and the other a complete shutdown and restart.

If you've got any thoughts on this I would be interested in hearing them. Once again I appreciate all of your contributions throughout the years, they have been invaluable.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 7:21:37 PM

It's times like this that I actually wish that a person having this sort of problem lived close enough near me so that I could see for myself what is going on. :( 

Sometimes it can be something very simple that we might be over looking or it could be something that could easily be overlooked.

Hardware revision changes.
Module incompatibilities
An overlooked setting
Micro crack in motherboard
Contaminated Connectors
Loose wire or solder joint

Any number of things can go wrong with a system as is Murphy's Law.

The trick is in finding and eliminating the problem.
------------------------------------------------------

For the most part, I am fairly good with systems and when I help others remotely, I try to stick to systems that I either own or have owned. Otherwise I mostly prefer to work on systems directly as I am better at working on them directly than I am at explaining things or at trying to explain things to others.

Occasionally I do get stuck though. Usually it's times when I would need to have direct access to the system in question to see exactly what is going on for myself and even then there is no guarantees as it could just be incompatible parts.

But for working on someone else's system, it needs to be local as I do all work in my home.

In the mean time, if I do come up with anything or I happen to think of anything, I will let you know.

Right now, I have to head out for an appointment downtown.
March 4, 2011 8:43:15 PM

will this update work on vista? i can't seem to do the update. when i got ot the command prompt it says can't find the path. it looks like this

C:\Users\theddy>CD C:\BIOS_842P181G
The system cannot find the path specified.

Please help. i still have the vista hp 64bit.

Thanks you very much
March 10, 2011 8:26:40 PM

i followed RW's intruction http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] s-842p181g but i can't seem to update my bios. all instructions are followed carefully but when in command prompt all i got is this nothing happens.

C:\Users\theddy>CD C:\BIOS_842P181G
The system cannot find the path specified.

Can you help please. Anybody?
March 17, 2011 8:26:39 PM

Quote:
Checking the FTP site earlier tonight, I found they had released a new BIOS for the FX6800 series system.

It's dated 12/23/2009 FX6800_BIOS_842P181G.zip 793 KB

There is the usual files packed in the zip files including a .pdf document which is very poorly written and contains some bad information.

Remember - This must be done from an Administrator Account

Once you download the file, you can save the contents (a folder containing 6 files) to the "root" directory
of the "Local Disk (C)".

Next open Notepad and paste the following line into it: AFUWIN.EXE 842P181G.ROM /p /b /c /REBOOT
and save as update.bat. Place this file in the folder containing the BIOS update files.

Now physically disconnect your system from your network. (unplug the network cable from the back of the system)
Do a quick check to make sure your system is clean of any Malware or other parasites.
Then disable any Anti-Virus or other resident Security programs.

Go to your Control Panel > User Accounts and disable UAC - Your system will now need a Reboot.

-

Soon as your system finishes loading, Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Now enter CD C:\BIOS_842P181G
Next enter update

You should see the BIOS start to update, then when it finishes, then system will shutdown quickly but the fan will stay on. Now at this point I advise you to wait a minute just in case. If after a minute the system has not rebooted, hold the power button in until it shuts down fully (10seconds).

Now restart the system and be ready to hit F2 after it starts. You will notice that there will be a Check Sum error. This is OK, the BIOS Update took just fine, you just need to enter the BIOS and make some adjustments to return everything to how you had it set before the update. After you finish with the BIOS and save your settings, you will find that the Check Sum error will be gone.

I have already updated my system with this BIOS and after you run the update, Select
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information

You'll notice that in the Right Pane where it says BIOS Version/Date it lists AMI R01-B0, 5/19/2009

Now don't forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus and other security programs and to reconnect your network cable.

-

For anyone having any problems, here is the link to the old thread.
Gateway FX 6800-01e BIOS Update from Gateway Unsupported

It's almost 2:00AM in the morning and I'm heading to bed G'night everyone :) 

I did exactly what you wrote but now my comp is running very very very slow. What should I do now?