I5 at 4.7GHz Getting Too Hot

ruben1123

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I'm currently using the Hyper 212 with one fan and with all cores at 100% at 4.7GHz, I get temps going past 80 (don't worry, I stop before it goes too far :kaola:)

I was going to get the H70, but it looks like it got bad reviews.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Ruben

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The Hyper212+ should be more than enough for cooling. The reason your seeing such high temps is beacuse its under stress testing. Under normal use your cores are never ever going to be constantly at 100% on each one.

Your only real option is to Water cool your CPU, or drop to overclock to more like 4.4-4.5 GHz

mcinjere

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I too am a newb.

Just bought an i7 2600k stock at 3.4/3.8tb with hyper threading on.

I bought a CORSAIR CWCH60 and seeing idle temps ~35c with just a pull so far.

I have read reviews of people achieving ~18 low to ~28high idle with this cooler.
Should I see this drop if i add the push to my pull?

I am only using the stock thermal compound that came with the cooler.

Should I stress test to decide if I should add the push to the pull?

Also wondering if I should buy some AS5 or some MX4 (leaning toward mx4 for non electrical conductivity and carbon/diamond compound transfers heat better)
Because I do plan to overclock to atleast 4.2 after I break in the system for a few months.

Also ambient temps in my basement are around 70F/21C.

Any feedback is much appreciated, please qualify your responses with personal experience or by reliable sources

ruben1123

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

And this is true! But I always got the idea it had to be stable under such stress tests. If not, when doing my most intensive thing it never goes higher than 60.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Well im using the i5-2500k which core is 3.3GHz and ive Overclocked to 4.4GHz. Im using Arctic Freezer 13 (92mm CPU fan) and seeing max temps of about 60 degree's during long gaming sessions.

The 212 Plus is a very good cooler for the price. However, it can only handle mild to moderate overclocks, as it is one of the smaller heat sinks. A bigger badder "big air" cooler will be required to get better temps at higher overclocks. Cooler Master V6 GT, Thermaltake Frio, Zalman 9900 MAX, Noctua NH-D14, and Thermalright Silver Arrow will all out-perform the 212 Plus, but they are also more expensive. The Hydro series from Corsair are roughly equal to the top level of "big air" coolers in terms of cooling performance.

Any cooler that relies on air can only get as cool as the ambient temp. This includes water cooling setups, which use air to cool the water as it goes through the radiator. Those people who had 18ºC idle temps were sitting in a pretty cool room to get that.

starbucks99

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Hi Leaps-from-Shadows,

If I overclock my i2600k to 4.5GHz (automated oc by Asus P8Z68 Pro) with Cooler Master V6,
Is it safe to run 24/7 ?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

As far as i know the ASUS suite will only push itself high enough for a solid overclock. It stress tests each stage as it clocks up. It should be 100% safe to run it 24/7. Personally on my ASUS board i just enabled XMP and that left me with a 4.4GHz overclock with a peak core voltage of 1.36 and allows my system to maximise the 1600Mhz RAM.

mcinjere

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Just makes me think I should be seeing better temps. Averaging 35-40c idle with ambient temps never going higher than 25c/77f. Gonna change my fan configuration on my corsair 600t. Gonna add the push to my pull from outside the back of the case, change out the stock top 180mm fan for two 120mm fan. I really like the mesh screen included with the case as an option to change out the clear panel. I really wanna buy another side panel w/ the mesh/panel option for the other side to match ^_^