Artic Silver 5 == Voiding my warranty?

Well, I got heat problem. I would like to apply AS5 to lower my graphic cards temperature, but would it void my warranty?

I got 2 Asus 4850 TOP... they are by far one of the worst product I could have purchased.

Hell... really great stuff... I can't get rid of them and I can't deal with the problem either.

It was the last time I buy an Asus product. The performance is great and with my additional fan I get great result, but my cards get to 85C at the highest load. Without a fan it goes over 100C... just damn crazy... only because they are in Crossfire. Really poorly made product...

It's out of question that I spend 100$ on coolers for cards that cost me 165$. I prefer them to burn in hell than spending a single $ more.

Yeah, I have put a 120mm fan at one inch of the cards blowing fresh air. It was my old Big Water radiator fan with a rheostat, really useful to change the speed for quieter ops.

Still, without this my system was crashing after 30 minutes of play. After I've done that, my PC never crashed because of overheating security.

Still, you buy something and it's not designed to work properly out of the box. If Asus can release something like that, who knows which of their products will be the next victim?

I am not asking for the moon, just that my stuff work properly. As for now I will not be as trust worthy of the Asus brand as I was.

I know that, it's not what really matter here. What is bothersome is that Asus put the thermal security at 95C. So getting to that point, without proper additional cooling strategies, your computer will crash and provoke artifacts on the next boot... for another crash until everything cool down.

I know that, my old 8800 GTX OC was getting to 85C too in huge loads, but it never crashed due to overheating. By the way, I am seeing you a lot in these forums, are you a tech or something :p

randomizer

Champion
Thermal protection is often set quite high. My fan will spin up to 100% once the card hits 94C, but usually runs fast enough by the time it reaches 85C to keep it stable there. I have managed 89C though. Remember that they want to keep the cards quiet for as long as possible too. You should never run it without a fan unless the heatsink was designed for this to be possible. Most aren't.

You could use Rivatuner to set your fan speeds to something fixed and reasonable to keep the card cool before it reaches excessively high temperatures.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The Catalyst Control Center's built-in Overdrive should allow fan management on it. Regardless, it should not be getting that hot... Not with their "TOP" thermal solution.

Personally, I'd stick it in a PoS old machine, disable BIOS temp protection, cover up the fan, run Furmark, and RMA that sucker when it catches fire.

AKM880: Since when does Precision support ATI cards? I've been under a rock for a month...

royalcrown

Distinguished
Hey randomizer, don't you also have a dual opty setup for folding ? I thought you did/do from another ;) place...

I wanted to get into folding and got a dual server to use, but that damn GL360 sounds like a vacuum cleaner on turbo, so in the closet it went...lol.

In single card mode, I never got a load higher than 76C, but in crossfire... just setting them in crossfire raise the temperature 15C higher on idle.

These cards should never have gone out on the shelves.

I don`t know why, but I got the strange impression that I got a 4850EAH with a BIOS of 4850EAH TOP. The PCB is identical to the 4850EAH.

4850EAH (I got something with the exact same PCB layout)

EAH4850_BOX_CARD.jpg

4850EAH TOP

acard.jpg

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
These are different PCBs. Designs will always vary due to revisions over time. The only way to be sure it is what it is would be to call ASUS and have them trace the serial number back to the point of assembly, if they do that... Otherwise, ya gotta go with whatever the card says it is on the sticker.

Seems the only thing that truly separates a company's identical GPU-series cards might only be something as simple as a VGA BIOS setting.

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
regardless doesn't the 4XX0 series usually run hotter anyways? even with a factory revision? and just by looking at the pics you posted that HSF looks like it does a worse job at cooling then the stock fan most other 4850s have.

I did some research on the internet and I contacted Asus to know what was going on. So I learned that the PCB are the new revision.

I wanted to know if the old revision was better... and they are mostly the same, both overheat in crossfire configuration.

I learned that the coolers are really bad for multiple cards setup. These cards should be avoided for any crossfire setup... without any additional cooling solution.

Still, for any single card system, they are easily the most silent and cool 4850 cards.

I am quite lucky to be able to run them in Crossfire at stable temperatures, but adding a 120mm fan really did the difference.

Phhh... stuff like that never occurred when NVIDIA and ATI were selling their cards... now it is more a mainstream reality.

Here the article... interesting read. I usually don't buy anything without reading reviews, but I was trusting Asus and they really let me down this time. Well, I guess it was my last experience with them since I don't plan buying any of their future products.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/4