Phenom X4 9650 and Everest

alexohlol

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I just overclocked my AMD Phenom X4 9650 from 2.3ghz to 2.6ghz. Looking at Everest, my CPU Multiplier jumps from 11.5x to 5.75x, making my clock speed slower. When i ran a stress test on Orthos, it goes back to 11.5x. Is 5.75x the idle multiplier? That is the only reason I can think of for it to go down and up. I might have to check if it does the same on stock settings and i'll update this tomorrow. Please respond, thanks.

Why would someone do something stupid like that??

It's a power saving feature. If you read your manual you would know this.

If your cpu runs too cold and your electric bill is too low, then follow heydiah's advice.

alexohlol

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
yeah that guy replied on my other post and I had no idea what he was talking about. o.o according to everest, my CPU runs 35 Celsius. I just wanted to know why the multiplier jumps from 5.75x to 11.5x..

JhonnyWishbone

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

He's Is Giving You The Solution .. Cool And Quite Needs To Be Disabled As Well As Spread Spectrum And C1E
For Prime Overclocking Stability . It's Somewhat Of A Standard For The AMD 9650 . Google It And You Should
Find Tons Of Info On Overclocking This CPU . Their Are Even More Things You Should Probably Consider With
The 9650 Like Changing The HT Speed From 1800Mhz To About 1400Mhz To Get Greater Stability & Speed From The CPU This 9650 2.3ghz Should Be Stable Up To About 2.9ghz Depends On What Ram You Have (DDR2 800Mhz Or Higher)

JhonnyWishbone

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

If Your Worried About Heat Then You Should Ethier Buy A Aftermarket Cooling System Or Not Overclock
CPU's In The First Place . Quite And Cool Is Much More Then A Pwr Saving Feature It Monitors Temp
Thresholds And Adjust/Corrects The CPU Output And Fan Speed. So When Enabled The CPU Runs At
Variable Speeds In Order To Keep The CPU " Cool & Quite " . Aftermarket Fans/ Cooling Systems Are Commonly Used And Designed To Keep The CPU From Overheating Without The Need To Sacrifice Performance. Example: Variable Speeds Are Not Used In Most Commercial Server Infrastructures
When CPU Power Is A Must ! So Maybe Now You Hopefully Understand Why Someone Would
Implement Common Practices & Protocols In A CPU Environment ??