8800GT getting hot and locking up

Jononomous

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Alright so a while back these cards were doing just fine, previously I used nTune to overclock the cards from 640 to 670 and there wouldnt be an issue. Runnin 2 XFX 8800GT's in SLI on a 780i board

Then I formatted a few weeks ago, noting that I hadn't played Crysis in some months (5-6 about).

Now for the problem:
I downloaded RivaTuner and overclocked them once again to 670, ect ect, and crysis locked up - screen pixelation - bleeding, ect.
So I thought hmm, heat? So I set the fan speeds to 100%, and put a portable fan in front of the case to maximize airflow. Even after setting the clocks back to default (640), after about 5-10min in crysis, it still locks up...

GPU-Z gave me a log printout and it indicates that the cards run around 61 at idle, and before the crash they were pushin 82 - 84C, which is very hot considering they used to run around 75C when playing crysis.

Any ideas as to why crysis keeps locking up on me?

Any help is much appreciated!!

- Jon

*And I should mention that after looking at the 2nd card in GPUZ, its idling at 77C....wtf o_O*

Jononomous

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
omfg, just looked after playing a very SHORT round of COD4, 2nd card hit over 100... somethin aint right, even stock it shouldnt run higher than 90C

I'll look into the heatsink, but I don't think its necessary cause the card shouldnt be runnin this hot in the first place

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I 3rd the motion; clean out your case!

1. Shut your computer off, open up the case, and use canned air to remove the dirt from each fan. Close the case!

2. Check your power supply fan; is it still working?

3. Install that GPU cooler I pointed you to.

4. What kind of case do you have? How many fans? Where are the fans?