Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is the phenom II x4 965 stock cooler any good?

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2009 11:39:02 PM

Hey there, let's talk about cpus and stock coolers. Let's particularly talk about the Phenom II X4 965 stock cooler. Is it any good? If a person's not planning to overclock, then is there much advantage in getting a better one? Do you think that running at slightly cooler temperatures would save general wear and tear on your PC's parts?
October 3, 2009 3:46:18 AM

Yes the stock fan will work fine for the processor it was packaged with as long as you dont OC the living daylights out of it.

I am guessing that if you processor is running fine the way it is that a lower temp wont really effect the lifespan of it
Score

Best solution

October 3, 2009 6:20:53 AM

The Phenom II stock fan is quite capable, but very loud. It will keep the CPU cool, but it's not silent.
Related resources
October 3, 2009 6:26:05 AM

it will keep your cpu cool as long as you dont overclock, there is really no need to upgrade to a new cooler unless you overclock its this simple.
Score
January 25, 2010 2:39:42 PM

So how loud is the stock CPU cooler. Would it be the loudest fan in my computer (HAF 932 case fans, HD 5770 Vapor-X GPU and Stock AMD heatsink)
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
January 25, 2010 6:35:43 PM

It'll probably be the loudest fan in your computer, the stock fan on my Phenom II 940 is the loudest fan between 4 computers I own. lol

It only gets loud though under heavy load when I have it overclocked to 3.5Ghz, at lower speeds/light loads it is almost silent.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2010 2:32:24 AM

mine is OC'ed to 3.98ghz on the stock fan and works fine runs at 41 c and doesnt seem to be too loud maybe mine wasnt a loud one idk but i am about to buy a H50 to get it running closer to 4.5ghz stable.
Score
March 18, 2010 5:22:23 PM

One thing that I discovered that you absolutly have to do is flip the fan over. The fan uses a temp sensor to determine it's speed, all they way up to 7000 rpm. If you don't flip it over so it's blowing air out the top of the heatsink, then all you're doing is adjusting cpu fan speed by case air temp.
Score
March 18, 2010 5:29:16 PM

ibemad said:
One thing that I discovered that you absolutly have to do is flip the fan over. The fan uses a temp sensor to determine it's speed, all they way up to 7000 rpm. If you don't flip it over so it's blowing air out the top of the heatsink, then all you're doing is adjusting cpu fan speed by case air temp.

Really... ! :o 

Thats weird!!
Score
March 21, 2010 11:29:01 PM

Starges said:
Really... ! :o 

Thats weird!!

I know, it's a really dumb design. Before I flipped it, I could change the speed of the cpu fan by about 2000 rpm just by turning off my case fans via speedfan. While my other componants would roast, my cpu would be about 5 degrees cooler :pfff: 
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 3:37:23 PM

Quote:
mine is OC'ed to 3.98ghz on the stock fan and works fine runs at 41 c and doesnt seem to be too loud maybe mine wasnt a loud one idk but i am about to buy a H50 to get it running closer to 4.5ghz stable.

I've got a 965 BE 125w and on the stock heatsink/fan it runs at 40 C but the fan is very loud and makes a buzzing noise most of the time. I've got it clocked at stock 3.4ghz (not OC'd). I've seen the temp. go as low as 36 C and only once as high as 51 C, other than that its always 39-41. Can aftermarket coolers cool better than this? I was gonna get a NH-D14 (the huge expensive one) but the temps I saw in reviews were very similar to these. I really want to try overclocking but I wanna be really safe about it. Is there a cooler that will get me better temperatures? What I was kind of thinking is maybe I could just replace the fan on the stock heatsink with a better/quiet one. Is that possible? If anyone knows of one that fits that'd be awesome.
Also what OC settings did you use to go up to 3.98? And did you really try pushing it to 4.5? Any Luck? Oh, and what temps did you get with the H50 I was looking at that cooler too.

-Best
-John Dollermeiker
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2010 4:17:39 PM

I have Phenom II x4 965 black with stock cooler for about 1 week now, I used Arctic Silver 5 right away as I had it from other builds - its the way to go. I like the original mounting easy one clip solution.
It idles @ 3500 rpm and goes to 5500 rpm under load - it is new so it sounds like a hard drive running loudest at high, not louder then any other fan in my Antec nine hundred case and with cooler master 600W 130mm fan Power supply mounted on the bottom at idle.
Temps are 27-30C idle and under full load 45-50C. My EVGA 465 fermi blows its heat straight out the back so no heat is building up inside the case on its account.
I'll stick with the stock cooler for now, once the fan ages and increase in loudness then I will consider replacing it with aftermarket solution. Amd could have added 10mm of fins and bigger fan, then that heatsink would been all you ever needed.
Score
December 11, 2010 1:58:04 AM

I have this CPU and the stock fan is ridiculous, currently looking for a quieter alternative that also offers lower temps
Score
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2010 11:19:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
December 18, 2010 1:36:10 PM

Best answer selected by prklts.
Score
!