TOKER420

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
i got some new parts from my computer for Christmas, i got the AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955 which is sweet but i also got some value ram, i was wondering if the ram will bottleneck my cpu. its 6gb of geil value ram 1333mhz. should i get 4gb of some better quality stuff?

thanks

-iain-

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
As far as I know it will perform the same as any other ram with the same specs apart from the fact that better quality ram can be overclocked more than value ram, so if your not planning on overclocking then just stick with your value ram.

-iain-

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
It also depends on the latencies of the ram, you could overclock 4gb of high quality ram much more than value ram. Personally I would have got the higher quality ram. I remember tom's hardware doing a test with ram and the results were something like anything more than 3gb of ram and the difference is negligible, but if your doing things like photoshop then you will need more ram but for gaming 4gb would be just fine.

r-sky

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
But overclocking the BE does not mean you have to overclock the ram. (multi instead of raising the clock)

Have a look at the charts here on tom's and you can decide for your self if getting "better" ram is worth it...