myseries

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hey... so... I was trying to build a new custom case with my current rig (info below) and after i unplugged my 1tb samsung hdd it just won't spin anymore. it was working just fine before i moved it. The problem is, it had no reasons to do it.. it won't show in bios and i can1t fell it spinning. the big black chip on it does heat a little bit, but i cannot feel a single thing. it's freezing in my fridge just now... 1tb of data is too much!!! help!!

My Current Rig:

ASUS M2N-SLI (BIOS 1002)
AMD Phenom x4 9650 @ 2.35 Ghz
Zalman 7500
4GB DDR2 667 2GB Kingston DDR2 800
SLI: 2x XFX 9500GT 512MB DDR3
Storage: 1x Samsung HDD 250GB HD250HJ
1x Samsung HDD 1000GB HD100UJ ***

myseries

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
sorry... it's a "generic" c3-tech 500w. it's not it, i tested with another one, plus i have the 250gb working perfectly. i also tested all the sata ports on my mobo and all the diferent sata power cables of my psu.. the hdd is heating up when power-on... guess it is getting power... i just tested the freeze recovery method and will try the spin first thing in the morning. thx for the reply!

ulysses35

Distinguished
first thing to check

1) molex power connector - if in doubt try another one as it maybe well be a poor connection causing not enough power.

2) it is also possible that the SATA data cable might be faulty

myseries

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

already tested with other molex and sata data cables, even in a whole other rig... freezing didn't work, hitting it (softly, with my hand) also didn't work. it's in a tech support right now, but they said that when it just won't spin, it probably got burned (there was no reason for that to happen). i doubt they can fix it.. if not, i will try warranty or open it and try to spin it manually... thx 4 the reply!

ulysses35

Distinguished
Ermm opening any HDD is a no go area - once open dust particles no matter how minute will settle on the platters and cause damage.

I wouldlook on the drive for a manufacturers date and contact them directly - normally they will ask you to send the drive off and wait 14-28 days before either repairing the unit or sending you a replacement