Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming pc

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 1, 2009 12:33:19 AM

I am looking for a gaming PC that can handle armored assault 2 on high settings. I am looking to only spend about a grand. is this possible?

More about : gaming

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 1:05:11 AM

Yes. It is possible. Now go spec out a system and come back.

Basic Gaming system:
i5 or Phenom II
2*2GB DDR3 or more
4850 or 4870 or GTX260
A decent motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte
640GB WD or better
Vista x64 with Win 7 code
A case like an Antec 300 or better (ie Antec 900, HAF 932)
A good cooler like a S1283 or Core Contact Freezer if overclocking
A good PSU like a 550VX or better.
October 1, 2009 1:21:03 AM

I was looking at the AMD PhenomII X4 965 CPU or the intel® Core™2 i7-860 CPU i am new to the whole pc thing so i cant really overclock.. i just really want to play arma 2 on high as well as other games but its a pain! thanks for the reply i appreciate it! what do you think of these two?


-keith
Related resources
October 1, 2009 2:06:20 AM

karkoski22 said:
I was looking at the AMD PhenomII X4 965 CPU or the intel® Core™2 i7-860 CPU i am new to the whole pc thing so i cant really overclock.. i just really want to play arma 2 on high as well as other games but its a pain! thanks for the reply i appreciate it! what do you think of these two?


-keith


First of all, the diff b/w a 955 and a 965 is negligible (perf. wise). Honestly, once you build your own pc you will learn to overclock. Both cpus you listed are very, very capable of playing games on high, but the i7 is a hundred dollars more expensive, so big savings by going for AMD there. Honestly i think the 955 is a huuuge bargain at 180, but again if you have the extra money the i7 is great too. IF all your doing thats taxing on the system is gaming, then i'd save 100 dollars and go for the 955.
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 4:08:51 PM

I openly confess to not being a fan of AMD - so would choose the i5/i7 option if you plan to keep your system for a few years without further upgrades.

That said the 955 is a very good CPU (sorry intel) and if gaming is your main thing then you cant really go wrong.


I wouldnt worry about the overlocking bit too much - especially if you go for the i5/i7 as they have "Turbo Mode" which boosts the processor speed when needed for short periods
Games at the monent rarely use more than a dual core so anything dual core 2.6 - 3.0 ghz will serve you well. Ideally you need 2gb of RAM for XP and 4gb of RAM to make games work well on Vista - however if you go down the vista route make sure its the 64bit versiomn if you plan on using 4gb of RAM (xp is limited to 3gb)

Video... well now there is plenty of very good cards out there - BUT dont necessarily believe everything you read on the box - Nvidia are guilty on many occassions of claiming fantastic performance for little money... its not always true.


Mobo = ASUS / Gigabyte
CPU = Intel i5 or AMD 955
Video = Nvidia 275 or 4850/4870 (ATI)
RAM = 2 x 2gb RAM
PSU = Corsair
CASE = personal choice really Antec / Coolermaster
Optical Drive = DVD/RW
October 1, 2009 4:22:35 PM

so u say the 955 can run arma 2? because that's a wicked demanding game for CPU more than GPU. I just want to be able to run arma on high and if it can do that then it will have no problem with other games! i am going to post some specs from the computer in a bit and if you could let me know if it is worth it that would be greatly appreciated! thanks again!
October 1, 2009 4:39:09 PM

karkoski22 said:
so u say the 955 can run arma 2? because that's a wicked demanding game for CPU more than GPU. I just want to be able to run arma on high and if it can do that then it will have no problem with other games! i am going to post some specs from the computer in a bit and if you could let me know if it is worth it that would be greatly appreciated! thanks again!


If the game you are playing is, in fact, very CPU intense, then go with the 860. It will give you HT and turbo which will greatly improve the gaming performance. HOWEVER, most games do not have the CPU as bottleneck (right now anyway), so if you want to save $100, go with the 955.

I just purchased the 860 because I need it for more than gaming (local website testing, video encoding, image rendering, etc.). Just remember, in most games, GPU will bottleneck your system, not the CPU.
October 1, 2009 5:53:46 PM

these are the spec of the PC i was looking at getting from cyberpowerpc.com is it worth it? also i might grab a different Graphics card:

*CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.80 GHz 8M L2 Cache LGA1156
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

* COOLING FAN : Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

* MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Asus P7P55D LE Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI

* MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

* VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 CORE 216 896MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
October 1, 2009 9:35:16 PM

Karkoski- i downloaded the arma 2 demo and it runs at max settings, (1920 x 1080 res) smoothly with a 955.
October 1, 2009 10:17:55 PM

that's good to hear! so i will most likely by that! is there a better graphics card u think i should get? this is the one i am looking at for the 955

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_GTS/

again sorry if i seem a bit rudimentary about PCs but i am new to this whole world lol
October 1, 2009 10:23:04 PM

karkoski22 said:
that's good to hear! so i will most likely by that! is there a better graphics card u think i should get? this is the one i am looking at for the 955

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_GTS/

again sorry if i seem a bit rudimentary about PCs but i am new to this whole world lol


Well the good thing 'bout getting the 955 is that the extra $100 can go a long way to getting a better graphics card, but the 250 in that link is not better, tell me your budget and i'll go to powerpc or wherever you were looking and tell you the best customization for the money.
October 1, 2009 10:30:25 PM

I customized this for 1297 USD, but u think you can shave off a $100-200, as i added the best graphics card you can buy :D 

CAS: NZXT Beta Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Window
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Apevia Power Supply
CPU: AMD Phenom�II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
FAN: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof 16dBA)(Venom Boost Pro OC Certified) [+45]
MOTHERBOARD: MSI AMD 790FX-GD70 AM3 DDR3 1666 CrossFire Chipset Mainboard [+99]
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5870 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card [+280] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

Though im not sure about the PSU... it should do but i'll double check. Also that cooler should be pretty helpful.

EDIT: ok i see you said a grand for budget... replace the 5870 with a GTX 275 (still a good card) and you will get 1118 USD. Also apparently you get some free stuff at that site when you buy a pc.
October 1, 2009 10:43:40 PM

ok I see it and i will try and c what it'll cost me again man thanks for helping me
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 11:00:31 PM

Quote:
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Apevia Power Supply

PLEASE DO NOT! DO NOT get a low quality PSU. Get a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or OCZ.

Quote:
FAN: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU Cooling Fan

lol. A XIGMATEK S1283 or a Core Contact Freezer is a better idea. The TT is no longer at the top of the list.
October 1, 2009 11:13:19 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Apevia Power Supply

PLEASE DO NOT! DO NOT get a low quality PSU. Get a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or OCZ.

Quote:
FAN: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU Cooling Fan

lol. A XIGMATEK S1283 or a Core Contact Freezer is a better idea. The TT is no longer at the top of the list.


That is a premade computer from the website: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_GTS/

I'm assuming the OP wants a premade machine. Is this correct OP?
October 2, 2009 1:00:23 AM

what i want is a pc that can run arma 2 on highest settings lol as previously stated umteen times :p ... the PC you had posted is a premaid wich is much easier for me and I do not have any components to make my own so therefore i need to get a premaid. I just want the best bang for my buck is all. I was looking at some stuff online and an individual was running arma on this: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450@ 3.2GHz 8GB DDR2 RAM ATI HD4870 512MB Vista x64

I want a PC that will work like, or better than this without spending three grand if possible and it is much easier to buy one from a site with premaid CPUs rather than hunting through 5 to get different parts/components to build my own because i am new to this whole genre of gaming.

hope this clears up some confusion and I am in no way saying either one of you is wrong, because frankly i am a NOOB haha and if I have no idea what I am talking about then go ahead and tell me lol I am open to any help I can get!!
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 1:04:56 AM

From the stuff I've read on the web, Arma 2 works better on i7's, and not so great on Phenom II's. There are a few titles like that, and this appears to be one of them.

Get the cheapest i7 setup you can get and a 5850 or 5870 and you'll be happy.
October 2, 2009 1:14:05 AM

any idea how much it will cost me?
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 1:27:29 AM

Psycho's recommendations look pretty decent but I'd save cash on the memory (no need for 2000mhz) and I'm sure one 500gb hard drive is enough for anyone to start with at least.
October 2, 2009 1:51:44 AM

k I have narrowed the deicsion to two PCs.

the i7:

# POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: Corsair Power Supplies (650 Watts CMPSU-650TX - Quad SLI Ready)
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
# Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
# COOLING FAN : Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual CPU Cooling Fan System (Extreme Silent Operation at only 20dBA)
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio
# MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
# VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

or the recomendation from psycho..

Psycho is that a pre-made pc or would i have to go through a bunch of websites... could you send me some links? thanks man
October 2, 2009 2:10:54 AM

karkoski22 said:
k I have narrowed the deicsion to two PCs.

the i7:

# POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: Corsair Power Supplies (650 Watts CMPSU-650TX - Quad SLI Ready)
# CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
# Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
# COOLING FAN : Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual CPU Cooling Fan System (Extreme Silent Operation at only 20dBA)
# MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio
# MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
# VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

or the recomendation from psycho..

Psycho is that a pre-made pc or would i have to go through a bunch of websites... could you send me some links? thanks man


The build Psycho suggested would better, the GPU he suggested completely destroys a GTS 250.
October 2, 2009 6:30:26 AM

Good system build. I'd go with the following:

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Though the one you chose is also a good choice, I know GB has been good about OCing.

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This PSU is only $10 more, modular, and is single 12v rail. Much better than the Antec IMO.

Other than those 2 things, I like the build! Enjoy the 5850, I ordered mine 2 days ago!
October 2, 2009 11:51:03 AM

thanks guys ill see what i can do. looks like i'll be going with psycho's build! again i appreciate it guys
October 2, 2009 9:08:24 PM

hey guys got a question for ya I came across today a core i5 OCed to 3.6 but it has a ATI Radeon HD 4850 what ur take on this GPU?
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 10:13:55 PM

The ATI 4850 is a pretty good GPU. Not the best, but has very good bang for buck.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2009 1:16:34 AM

jennyh said:
Psycho's recommendations look pretty decent but I'd save cash on the memory (no need for 2000mhz) and I'm sure one 500gb hard drive is enough for anyone to start with at least.


Nah, might as well get 1tb, cheap these days.
October 3, 2009 4:14:13 PM

well i had emailed them and asked them to put in the xfx 5870 so i think that crad is pretty kick ass from what i heard.. it is only costing me about 240 for it as well
!