HELP,Fast Formatted 1.5 TB Recovering Data Techniques ???

angrypizza

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
i fast formatted my external hard disk of 1.5tb it was about 95%full of data,format was done from fat32 to fat32,scanning it usually takes about 3-4 days depending on the software used,waiting is not a problem ,the main problem is that i red that fragmented data will be recovered damaged so i believe i will have plenty of it

my questions are the following

1)is there any chance i can work through some program on the damaged/arased "partition table" of the original disk state to recover it?or an online service or someone that i can post to it damaged mbr or partition table to let them fix it?

2)should i consider using a software that have strong carping (fixing) fragmented files capabilities to recover them if yes can you name some apart from photorec ?

3)is there a program that will list after scanning the entire disk healthy files or corrupted files due to fragmentation ,this will help me a lot for filtering the results as i really have too much data to handle there

4)in case point number 3) isn't there,do you know about any program that i can scan with it recovered files of all there kinds to see what is working and what is not,this will help me avoid double clicking on each considering they are thousands

*data that i need to recover mainly is in the following order avi,audio,jpg,rar and some txt
*disk have not been written on it since this issue
*disk is perfectly working and does not have any physical damage
*disk is WD elements USB 2 interface
*no os was on it,no encryption was on it

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, then send it to someone who knows what they are doing. No need for the whole cleanroom and whatnot though, if you can find a local student computer company someone studying on some university, and doing computers on the side. Wouldn't set you back much, compared to what you have to lose by doing it yourself, or going commercial and sending it to a professional clean room.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
tell him to ddrescue the entire drive, so it wont get any worse than it is now. but he should know all that, and take full responsibility of not making it worse, not how well he can recover it, since nobody knows.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
If all you did was a quick format you should be able to recover everything. It will be far cheaper to do it yourself. I don't think fragmented files matter. The only program I have used is EASEUS. It worked very well. Any good program will not write to the disk so it is really idiot proof. It will copy everything it finds to another disk. I had to use a 1.5T disk to recover a 1T disk because it thought it found more than 1T of files. Be aware it can take all day to run the program so make sure no one will mess with the computer.

angrypizza

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

i am having a similar experience i am going to recover a 1.5tb on a 2tb 90hours i think i know something about scan time (about 90hours just the scan process) , but time is not a problem ,i can wait as long as that would get me back possibly everything.

i would like to believe you about "I don't think fragmented files matter" but speaking about easeus take a look here

http://www.easeus.com/resource/unformat-software.htm

it says

"1. For FAT type file systems: file fragmentation is a major factor. Fragmented files are likely to emerge corrupted, and un-fragmented files will be fine. The format process destroys a number of important bookkeeping structures on a FAT type partition, the FAT (File Allocation Table) and the root directory. The absence of these structures makes recovery complicated.

2. For NTFS type file systems: fragmentation is of little consequence. The format process only re-initializes a part of the MFT and most of the MFT remains intact. Using the information stored in the MFT, even fragmented files can be recovered intact under the help of a unformat software."

by the way can i ask. 1)you had ntfs or fat32 as original file system were the data was stored?
2) did you recover from format,unreadable disk,damaged disk or else?and did you do some defrag tasks on the disk regularly before the accident? did you had also big file500mb-2gb each ?bigger files get more chances to get fragmented . . .

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
NTFS. I would try anyway. It's not much money to throw at it. Most of the recovery programs will let you do the scan for free, but you have to buy to recover. As long as you can buy it and enter the serial number without rescanning you could try it.

I don't remember how long it took, but it was less than a day. I think it makes a difference how much the drive was used. It gives a confidence percentage of what it finds. You will get a lot of low confidence percentages for odd FAT types. Like Fat 16, 8, etc.

angrypizza

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

i have 1.5tb usb drive full of data,my pc is rather old thats why the 90hours ,my drive is perfectly working and i was able to view and play anything on it before formatting

i used getdataback once,but did not fine anything with it ,what are the steps in using it ?i might have done something wrong ??

right now i am recovering data with icare recovery software ,85-90% of the files i am getting back if they are videos,rar or 7z are unusable/corrupted , i think fragmenting is the reason . . .

any solution would be really appreciated

Formatting won't make the data erased permanently.Those deleted data is still stored in the external HDD. They're just invisible or inaccessible. The most effective way is to rely on some professional data recovery program.

Try this one called Tenorshare Data Recovery. It can recover data after deeply scanning your hard drive to look for lost data you accidentally deleted or formatted.

Last but not least,you should have stopped using the hard drive.The more new data is added,the less chance the data recovery.

You can get it from: http://www.any-data-recovery.com/product/index.htm

i know about the data is still there ,but most data recovery software wont handle fragmented data ,thats why i am recovering most of my data corrupted (can't use it) in this moment. 85-90% of videos,rar and 7z are corrupted and wont open or play

i did not write anything on the original disk after format.

i dropped Tenorshare Data Recovery support an email to let them know if the app will handle fragmented data,but doubt it will as otherwise they would have mentioned that on their web site

any other help please ,not regarding on witch software to use but on witch will have great carping capabilities on fragmented files or can undo the quick format on the disk directly like people are saying on other forums

again ,i did not write on the disk after formatting and the disk i working 101% as all data was available and health before fast formating it