Sign in with
Your question

Anyone using P7P55D with Adobe Premiere CS4?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2009 4:18:58 PM

I've built a new rig to edit HDV video, and it hasn't been stable enough - total Windows re-boots or freezing, needing the reset switch. Rig is i7 860, 4x 2GB Corsair DDR3, 750w power, P7P55D, GTX260 graphics and Win 7 64bit. Premiere seems the only app to fall over. Not overclocked.

If it's running fine for you, will you say what your rig is made from?

thanks
December 28, 2009 2:38:16 PM

It seems to be more stable with just two sticks of memory in, so it looks like CS4 is particularly fragile to mixing DDR3 memory.
December 31, 2009 3:35:07 PM

The end of the story is that I had a bad dimm. So Happy New Year everybody.
Related resources
January 3, 2010 8:00:54 PM

I have the P7P55D EVO Board with the i7 860 and 4 x 2 gig corsair ddr3 , 750 watt power sup. as well and i am having freezing problems all the time i have taken 2 sticks out and the freezing is alot less but still happens. What do you mean u had a bad dimm? how did you trouble shoot it.?
January 3, 2010 9:18:21 PM

roboguy said:
I have the P7P55D EVO Board with the i7 860 and 4 x 2 gig corsair ddr3 , 750 watt power sup. as well and i am having freezing problems all the time i have taken 2 sticks out and the freezing is alot less but still happens. What do you mean u had a bad dimm? how did you trouble shoot it.?

After taking out 2 of the 4 dimms, the rig ran much better. So I assumed it was because the mobo memory controller had trouble with the 4 dimms.

But then I took those two dimms out, and used only one dimm (from the set I had put to one side) in the rig. Booted up and ran Adobe Premiere in a HDV project. It froze after less than 30 seconds of playing with footage on the timeline. Rebooted about 3 times - the same thing happened in Premiere.

Rebooted, after swapping the dimm with the other 2GB dimm of the pair.

Result - no crashing or freezing in playing with CS4 for an hour. So I can be clear that one of the original memory dimms simply will not run Adobe Premiere, and the other 3 dimms I have will.

The kit has been sent back to Ebuyer, who will hopefully replace them.

So I would advise you to try running your rig with only 1 dimm - Asus actually suggested that to me.
If all your testing shows no improvement, then you'll need to either get some different memory, get your current memory properly tested, or make sure you've got a good power supply and graphics card. You have set the memory voltage correctly though? In my case they need 1.65v and the mobo only gave them 1.45v.
I'm also running with the latest BIOS, and am running the 1600Mhz memory at 1300MHz - which might help you too.

Let's know how you get on - and good luck.
January 26, 2010 3:42:20 PM

I tried one stick two sticks and still got freezes, I slowed down the ram from the 1333 to 1076 and alot less freezes but still get them. I will try the bios update next and if that doesn't work i;ll have to try differant ram.
Thanks for the reply
!