I might have to replace the mother board

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what I have to do if I have to replace a motherboard and
CPU, but wanted to keep the hard drive which has my operating system. Would
my operating system go crazy if i had added a new components. I have
windows XP profressional.

Ankit Shah
5 answers Last reply
More about replace mother board

    "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I wanted to know what I have to do if I have to replace a motherboard and
    >CPU, but wanted to keep the hard drive which has my operating system. Would
    >my operating system go crazy if i had added a new components. I have
    >windows XP profressional.

    See "How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314070).

    --
    (tm)

    The link does not work.

    Ankit Shah
    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I wanted to know what I have to do if I have to replace a motherboard and
    > >CPU, but wanted to keep the hard drive which has my operating system.
    Would
    > >my operating system go crazy if i had added a new components. I have
    > >windows XP profressional.
    >
    > See "How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314070).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    _before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wanted to know what I have to do if I have to replace a
    motherboard and
    > CPU, but wanted to keep the hard drive which has my operating
    system. Would
    > my operating system go crazy if i had added a new components. I
    have
    > windows XP profressional.
    >
    > Ankit Shah

    I often replace components in one of my machines. Sometimes XP wants to call
    home for validation, and sometimes it doesn't -- and I haven't yet figured
    out what makes the difference.
    Most recently, I replaced mobo, CPU, and RAM, and XP never made a peep about
    it.
    I'd suggest that you go for it, and see what happens.

    "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I wanted to know what I have to do if I have to replace a motherboard and
    > CPU, but wanted to keep the hard drive which has my operating system.
    Would
    > my operating system go crazy if i had added a new components. I have
    > windows XP profressional.
    >
    > Ankit Shah

    "Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The link does not work.

    Here is the text:

    "Knowledge Base: Dutch

    How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different
    HardwareArtikelnummer: 314070

    Laatst gewijzigd: 10-4-2003

    De informatie in dit artikel is van toepassing op:

    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    Dit artikel is eerder gepubliceerd onder NL314070
    For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 249694.

    IMPORTANT : The issues that are discussed in this article and in the
    linked articles are the most common problems and limitations that you
    may encounter when you try to restore a backup copy to different
    hardware. Other issues can also appear because of the variations in
    software and hardware configurations. You may be able to resolve any
    of these issues by troubleshooting the specific problems that occur,
    but compatibility issues may limit the success of the restore of a
    backup to dissimilar hardware.

    Samenvatting
    This article describes how to move an installation of Windows XP to
    new, upgraded, or just different hardware. By using this information,
    you can:
    Migrate a working Windows XP operating system and your installed
    programs to a different or more powerful computer in minimal downtime.
    Replace a small system/boot disk drive with a larger system/boot disk
    drive.
    Restore a Windows backup from a malfunctioning computer to a different
    computer for disaster recovery purposes.
    Meer informatie
    Windows Backup (Ntbackup.exe) can handle differences in hardware
    configuration information between computers and maintain critical
    registry entries that are unique to the computer to which you are
    migrating information. This capability means that you can migrate to
    new hardware by performing a full backup of the source computer and
    then restoring the backup over a fresh installation of Windows XP on
    the destination computer.

    Ntbackup.exe handles restore operations in the registry by first
    querying the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore

    This registry key indicates to Ntbackup.exe that certain registry keys
    under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM key should not be overwritten when
    files are restored.

    An entry that ends with a backslash (\) indicates that a key is
    protected and that any keys or values under that key should not be
    restored. If the entry ends with a backslash and an asterisk (\*), all
    subkeys are "merged." In this situation, "merged" means comparing the
    start values of the keys in the backup set with the start values that
    exist in the current registry, to determine the correct key to
    restore.

    If the value of the key on the backup set has a lower start value, the
    backup key takes precedence. If the value of the key in the current
    registry has a lower start value, the current key takes precedence.
    This process ensures that all services and devices start correctly
    after a "system state" restoration, even on dissimilar hardware.

    For example: If the value of the following key on the backup set has a
    lower start value, the backup key takes precedence:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp

    If the value of the same key in the current registry has a lower start
    value than the key you want to restore, the current key takes
    precedence.
    Original System New System: Before Restore After
    Restore

    DHCP Running: YES NO YES
    DHCP Running: NO YES YES
    DHCP Running: NO NO NO
    After the computer successfully restarts, Windows Plug and Play takes
    care of any minor differences in hardware configuration.
    The Factors to Consider Before You Use This Procedure
    Drive Letters and the %SystemRoot% Folder
    For a complete migration to work correctly, the %SystemRoot% folder
    (the Windows folder in Windows XP) and the drive letters for any
    (target) volumes that contain a system-state component must be the
    same on both the source computer and the destination computer. This
    means that if the source computer has, for example, Windows XP
    Professional installed in the C:\Windows folder and has Active
    Directory (NTDS) and SYSVOL on separate drives, drive D and drive E
    respectively, the destination computer must have Windows XP
    pre-installed in a C:\Windows folder and contain drives D and E before
    the restore operation can succeed.
    Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
    The HALs on both of the computers should be the same. This means that
    the source and destination computers should be using the same HAL type
    to achieve favorable results. Although this is not a requirement, the
    computer may not perform migration properly if the HALs do not match.

    To determine the type of HAL that you are using on each computer:
    Click Start , click Control Panel , and then double-click System .
    On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager , and then view the listing
    under Computer . Possible values for the system description and the
    associated HAL include:
    ACPI Multiprocessor PC = Halmacpi.dll
    ACPI Uniprocessor PC = Halaacpi.dll
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC = Halacpi.dll
    MPS Multiprocessor PC = Halmps.dll
    MPS Uniprocessor PC = Halapic.dll
    Standard PC = Hal.dll
    Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible = Halsp.dll

    The Windows\Repair Folder
    The Windows\Repair folder that contains your source computer hardware
    and software configuration files and the Setup.log file may not be
    valid for the new hardware on the destination computer to which you
    restored them. You should perform an in-place upgrade on the
    destination computer to update these files so that you can make the
    appropriate repairs in the future if necessary.
    NTFS Volumes
    You may need to start special filter drivers before you can restore
    files that contain reparse points to NTFS volumes. This means that
    before you can restore these types of files, you need to restart the
    computer after you restore the operating system. Examples of these
    types of files include Remote Installation Services (RIS) images that
    rely on Single Instance Storage (SIS), Remote Storage Server (RSS)
    files that you are restoring to managed volumes, or other third-party
    services that use reparse points and require filter drivers.
    The Procedure for Moving a Windows Installation
    On the destination computer, perform a new installation of Windows,
    using the product type that matches that of the source computer.
    Ensure that the drive letter and %SystemRoot% folder names match those
    on the source computer.
    Using Disk Management, create, format, and assign drive letters to any
    additional volumes that may be required to hold a system-state
    component (for example, SYSVOL, Active Directory, or Active Directory
    Log files). Ensure that all drive letters match those on the source
    computer. For additional information about drive letter assignments,,
    click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    307844 HOW TO: Change Drive Letter Assignments in Windows XP

    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: On the source computer, log on as Administrator, and then stop
    all the non-essential services that you normally stop before
    performing a backup.
    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: Using Ntbackup.exe, back up the system\boot volume, the system
    state, and associated NTDS and SYSVOL volumes, if applicable. For
    additional information about how to perform a backup, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    308422 HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your
    Computer

    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: On the destination computer, log on as Administrator. If the
    system that you want to restore is a destination computer, you must
    restart the computer, press F8 during startup, and then click
    Directory Services Restore Mode before you log on as Administrator.
    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: Start Ntbackup.exe, click Options on the Tools menu, click the
    Restore tab, and then click Always replace the file on my computer .
    Restore the system\boot volume, the system state, and associated
    volumes from the backup that you performed previously. Make sure that
    you select the option to restore them to "original location" in the
    backup program. For additional information about how to restore, click
    the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    309340 HOW TO: Use Backup to Restore Files and Folders on Your
    Computer

    NOTE : To have access to all removable media (tape or magneto-optic
    [MO] disk) from the source computer after the full system restore is
    complete, you must also click Restore Removable Storage Database under
    Advanced before you begin the restore.

    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: After the full restoration finishes, and before you restart the
    destination computer, make sure that the computer is disconnected from
    the network, to avoid conflicts.
    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: Restart the computer.
    If the computer does not restart after restoration because of HAL
    mismatches, you can start from the Windows installation disk to
    perform an in-place installation or repair. This type of repair occurs
    after you accept the licensing agreement, and Setup searches for
    previous versions to repair. When the installation that is damaged or
    needs repair is found, press R to repair the selected installation.
    Setup re-enumerates your computer's hardware (including the HAL) and
    performs an in-place upgrade while maintaining your programs and user
    settings. This also refreshes the %SystemRoot%\Repair folder with
    accurate information that you can use for normal repairs.
    If the computer does restart after the restoration, log on as
    Administrator and initiate an in-place upgrade by running Winnt32.exe
    from the i386 folder on the Windows CD-ROM. This refreshes the
    Setup.log and registry files in the %SystemRoot%\Repair folder, and
    ensures that the proper HAL is in use.
    Note that in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, user profiles are stored as a
    subfolder of the %SystemRoot%\Profiles folder. In Windows XP, if the
    installation is an upgrade, the existing profile path continues to be
    used. In new Windows XP installations, a Documents and Settings folder
    is created on the same volume as the Windows XP installation, to hold
    user profiles. If the original system was an upgrade from Windows NT,
    the original profiles will be used after the restore. However, if an
    in-place upgrade is performed, you may need to change the profiles'
    path in the registry back to %SystemRoot%\Profiles by modifying the
    keys under the following path:
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    For additional information about drive letter assignments,, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base: After the upgrade is finished and you are certain that
    everything works, you can remove the source (original) computer from
    the network and connect the destination (new) computer in its place.
    NOTE : The difference between the time of the backup and the time of
    the restoration to the new computer may affect the machine account on
    the domain controller. You may have to join a workgroup first, and
    then rejoin the domain.

    For additional information about re-activation after the restore,
    click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    305356 Windows XP Prompts You to Re-activate After You Restore Your
    Computer

    For information about how to install Ntbackup on a computer that runs
    Windows XP Home Edition, see the following article in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    302894 HOW TO: Install Backup from the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM

    Additional query words: stop 0x79 pnp transfer new hard drive

    Technology: kbWinXPHome kbWinXPHomeSearch kbWinXPPro kbWinXPProSearch
    kbWinXPSearch

    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."

    --
    (tm)

Configuration Microsoft Motherboards Windows XP