Sign in with
Your question

Under which operating system games will be faster?

Last response: in CPUs
October 1, 2009 1:54:56 AM

currently i have windows xp 32 bit, games run smooth but when it gets to the big games such as crysis with full settings max that's where it'll start to get slow...

so i went to view some benchmarks about windows xp vs windows vista vs windows 7 benchmarks for gaming, and believe it or not they have different results in every forum, i mean what the hell? they put their own freaking numbers or they really do benchmark them, in some forums i seen xp being the fastest and in others i have seen 7, and huge differences but why they are so different from forum to another with having different results?

my current specs are

core i7 920
260 gtx
3g ram 1600 8-8-8-24 ocz
asus p6t x58
500 WD 32 cache 7200 rmp

if someone who have experience and had used more than 1 windows for gaming could help me out i'll be thankful.
October 1, 2009 2:00:09 AM

intelx said:
currently i have windows xp 32 bit, games run smooth but when it gets to the big games such as crysis with full settings max that's where it'll start to get slow...

so i went to view some benchmarks about windows xp vs windows vista vs windows 7 benchmarks for gaming, and believe it or not they have different results in every forum, i mean what the hell? they put their own freaking numbers or they really do benchmark them, in some forums i seen xp being the fastest and in others i have seen 7, and huge differences but why they are so different from forum to another with having different results?

my current specs are

core i7 920
260 gtx
3g ram 1600 8-8-8-24 ocz
asus p6t x58
500 WD 32 cache 7200 rmp

if someone who have experience and had used more than 1 windows for gaming could help me out i'll be thankful.

64 bit, because 64 bit os can take advantage of all the ram (im guessing the 260 has either 512-1gig), and allows for upgrades (ram wise, again)
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 2:02:46 AM

W7 & DX11 are the way of the future man, grooovy.
Related resources
October 1, 2009 3:59:01 AM

@Yannifb: 64bit gives its advatnges when using 4 or more gigabytes of ram, but as for intelx specs 32bit is just fine and he'll be able to use all of his ram on 32bit, however i still recommend 64bit over 32bit because 64 bit programs open faster on a 64 processor and now days they are making almost all programs and games based on 64bits, and if you wanna add more ram in the future, you wont be able to benift from it unless u use 64bit operating system.

go with windows 7 as mousemonkey said it supports directx 11 which is the latest directx now and the graphics on windows 7 looks great, as for gaming yes windows 7 seems to be better for gaming so far the final relase is coming out in oct 22 by then they might even make it better, as for windows vista it just sucks as i have seen, it takes forever to boot and on system start up it takes for ever to load thats because it loads everything in the ram (SuperFetch) but they changed this in windows 7 and its much better.

go with windows 7 64bit, however before u do check the 64bit drivers for your hardware just to make sure they got them relased in 64.
October 1, 2009 5:27:22 AM

o i didnt know that about 32 and 64 bit thanks for telling me about that, and yea i'll go with windows 7 thanks guys.

if there is anything else to add please do.
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 12:29:56 PM

I pretty much agree with surda except for the Windows Vista part.
It takes just a few seconds for it to to boot on my last years system and just a few seconds to desktop.
Then again he might have an older system than mine with less RAM.
October 1, 2009 12:36:08 PM

Maybe going to 4GB wouldn't be such a bad idea when getting 64bit Win7, because Win7 uses more memory then XP and 64bit versions use even more memory (my 64bit XP uses around 700mb of memory when idle, compared to 300mb when I had 32bit, Win7 64bit will probably use more.)
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 12:48:13 PM

Gulli said:
Maybe going to 4GB wouldn't be such a bad idea when getting 64bit Win7, because Win7 uses more memory then XP and 64bit versions use even more memory (my 64bit XP uses around 700mb of memory when idle, compared to 300mb when I had 32bit, Win7 64bit will probably use more.)

With FF and the T.V going my W7 64 is only using 1.9GB, whadda mean it uses more....oh er. :whistle: 
October 1, 2009 1:19:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
With FF and the T.V going my W7 64 is only using 1.9GB, whadda mean it uses more....oh er. :whistle: 

I'm just saying that with 3GB of memory, 700mb of idle use and 900mb graphics card memory there's only 1.4GB left for applications...
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 1:22:22 PM

4GB is the minimum I was just being a knob.
October 2, 2009 5:46:56 AM

yea more likely upgrade to windows 7 64 bit.
October 3, 2009 7:54:18 PM

4 gigabyte is better than 3 but in intelx specs with x58 it wont operate as fast as the other 3 gigabytes because it will operate as single channel and having the other 3 slots as triple, so just to add my 2 cent, if you want to get the best performance out of your ram upgrade with 3 sticks of ram, what i mean is getting 3x1GB or 3x2GB or 3x512MB
a c 96 à CPUs
October 4, 2009 12:13:45 AM

Mousemonkey said:
W7 & DX11 are the way of the future man, grooovy.

I have seen several people with the smiley faces bowing down before a picture of NVIDIA's CEO. What is that all about?

And to answer the OP's question, either Vista or Windows 7 64-bit would be the best choice to run your games on. You don't lose any RAM addressing because of PCI and VRAM memory holes. Plus, just about any x86_64-capable CPU except for the EM64T Pentium 4s and Ds runs faster under a 64-bit OS as you get to use more registers and all programs will be compiled with at least SSE2 support. The original EM64T implementation in the Pentium 4s and Ds just stank, which is why they were often slower under 64-bit mode than under 32-bit mode, although just about every other CPU out there is faster under 64-bit mode than 32-bit mode.
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 1:30:33 AM

Head over to the Fermi threads in the graphics section. It's an NVIDIA fanboy nest and we're just patronising them a little :D 
a c 96 à CPUs
October 4, 2009 2:00:05 AM

randomizer said:
Head over to the Fermi threads in the graphics section. It's an NVIDIA fanboy nest and we're just patronising them a little :D 

I would agree that it is a nest of something over there. I am surprised that it took a couple of pages to see that the "engineering sample" card was a fake. The dead giveaway was that the huge solder joints for the PCIe power connector weren't anywhere near the power connector. There's no way the card could even run if the power connector weren't soldered to the board, unless it consumed less than 75 watts (which is impossible as we're talking about high-end NVIDIA hardware here, a feat is getting it to suck less than 175 watts let alone 75 watts :na:  )
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 2:02:10 AM

And the cut-off stickers, and the RoHS cert, and the blocked exhaust vent...

Err, yes, wrong section. :ange: 
a c 96 à CPUs
October 4, 2009 2:10:47 AM

randomizer said:
And the cut-off stickers, and the RoHS cert, and the blocked exhaust vent..

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. What I'm wondering is why they brought anything to the presentation if the real hardware isn't done? It's like a politician trying to cover up an affair- everybody always sees through the bad lies and then they look even worse if they just had admitted they'd f'ed up in the first place.
a c 123 à CPUs
October 4, 2009 2:10:57 AM

surda said:
@Yannifb: 64bit gives its advatnges when using 4 or more gigabytes of ram, but as for intelx specs 32bit is just fine and he'll be able to use all of his ram on 32bit, however i still recommend 64bit over 32bit because 64 bit programs open faster on a 64 processor and now days they are making almost all programs and games based on 64bits, and if you wanna add more ram in the future, you wont be able to benift from it unless u use 64bit operating system.

go with windows 7 as mousemonkey said it supports directx 11 which is the latest directx now and the graphics on windows 7 looks great, as for gaming yes windows 7 seems to be better for gaming so far the final relase is coming out in oct 22 by then they might even make it better, as for windows vista it just sucks as i have seen, it takes forever to boot and on system start up it takes for ever to load thats because it loads everything in the ram (SuperFetch) but they changed this in windows 7 and its much better.

go with windows 7 64bit, however before u do check the 64bit drivers for your hardware just to make sure they got them relased in 64.

I wont say that Windows Vista was faster than 7, I know its not because on the same hardware 7 loads and runs faster. But 7 does have SuperFetch still. Its just more optimized. Just like everything else in 7.

I agree too. Go with 7 64. If anything for most gamers Premium will do fine. I have Ultimate RTM and am just loving it.

BTW, in Windows Vista Premium 32bit I was getting this for Batman Arkham Asylum @ 1600x900 Maxed out everything:

Low: 35-40FPS
High: 170FPS
Average: 100FPS

In Windows 7 64:

Low: 55FPS
High: 200FPS
Average: 139FPS

Specs (same for Vista and 7): Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4GB of Corsair XMS2 PC8500 @ 1333 4-4-4-12, Asus P5K-E WiFi/AP, HD48701GB from Sapphire running at Toxic Editions speeds.

Gotta love Windows 7.
!