Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WEIRD BOARD!!!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 1, 2009 2:28:48 AM

ok i recently had a board go out on me.( me cooling kit leaked) so while i wait for my RMA i decided to buy a spare board so i can keek my pc running.the board i bought is a XFX X58i. i can can not get thins thing to boot with more than 1 stick of ram no matter what dimm i put the memory it only boots with one sitck really anoying. can any one help? also will bending a heatpipe mess with cooling? i only need to move it about a MM.

More about : weird board

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 9:01:01 AM

yes very strange indeed. Are you putting the second stick of ram in dual channel mode? (same color socket)

Bending heat pipes should not matter much, as long as the points which touch the cpu or part being cooled stay in contact. Naturally, make sure the heat pipe does not break.
m
0
l
a c 172 à CPUs
October 1, 2009 9:34:04 AM

first problem: have you checked the manual to see which memory sockets you are supposed to use first. Many X58 boards populate the RAM sockets in opposite order from their P45/X48 predecessors.

2nd: A mm of "flex" (more accurate than "bend" I think) to correct heatpipe alignment is not unusual.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 1, 2009 2:27:06 PM

i did read the manual, according to it i am suppose to install the memory in the green slots, when i do my pc don't boot, so i tried the black slots and same thing, only boot s if i use one stick or i use dims 1,2,3 so i can't use tripple channel or dual channel. i know my memory is not the problem because it was runign fine in my other board.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 2:31:32 PM

Can you tell us what ram it is?

Manufacture, volt requirement, MHz, ect.
m
0
l
October 1, 2009 2:37:11 PM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
yes very strange indeed. Are you putting the second stick of ram in dual channel mode? (same color socket)

Bending heat pipes should not matter much, as long as the points which touch the cpu or part being cooled stay in contact. Naturally, make sure the heat pipe does not break.


yup tried dual and tripple channel only seems to work on single channel mode.
m
0
l
October 1, 2009 2:46:52 PM

warmon6 said:
Can you tell us what ram it is?

Manufacture, volt requirement, MHz, ect.


its mushkin EM3 10666 running at stock speed of 1333Mhz @ 9 9 9 24.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 2:50:27 PM

Well everything else seams to be fine so the only thing i can think of is that's either a bad MB or maybe the i7 memory contoler went bad. (lets hope it the MB)
m
0
l
October 1, 2009 3:14:30 PM

warmon6 said:
Well everything else seams to be fine so the only thing i can think of is that's either a bad MB or maybe the i7 memory contoler went bad. (lets hope it the MB)


i read alot about this board and it seems that alot of people have the eact same problem that i am having. how could i find out if its a cpu problem? i ran prime95 for 4 hours without a problem yesterday. that kinda rules out the memory controler idea don't you think? but i did give my brother this cpu a i7 920 and it could not run stable on his board( would freeze and lag but never crashed) but runs perfect on my board and on a friends evga x58 sli. any idea why this would happen?
m
0
l
November 25, 2009 10:53:48 PM

I have the same board ( xfx x58i ) and cannot get the manufactures timing and voltage to work properly. I have 12gb of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz ( 6 sticks at 2 gb each) with 9-9-9-24 at 1.5volts. The bios on auto runs it at 8-8-8-20 at 1.55 volts and 1033mhz (or so)... Runs very unstable at wrong timing and voltage and warms ups a bit... anybody know how to best set up timing and voltages with this board? 6gb runs fine and stable at wrong timing. I assume it is running at wrong timing becuase when you go to the Overclocking tab in the bios it shows for my dramm at wrong settings and shows voltage at 1.55v.... I have not reflashed my bios yet. The bios provided by XFX on their website is called 2.1 whereas I have seen others on forums call it out as 2.3??? Did anyone successfully flash their bios for this board and have memory timing work properly? Or does this particular brand of COrsair not jive with this board?

Thanks guys,

D.
m
0
l
November 25, 2009 11:21:46 PM

Good idea to check forum header "Overclocking" = it has how to overclock and indicates good information about overclocking - I would hope the triple channel sticks are being uses and inserted correctly - something is definitely not right with use of wrong way will make it work properly - since it is new board and under warranty, go to web site or call MB maker - you might waste a lot of time otherwise - they can help you determine what is up!

"Keep pushing forward - Let's not go back to dos!"
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 12:10:12 AM

ferny12345623 said:
ok i recently had a board go out on me.( me cooling kit leaked) so while i wait for my RMA i decided to buy a spare board so i can keek my pc running.the board i bought is a XFX X58i. i can can not get thins thing to boot with more than 1 stick of ram no matter what dimm i put the memory it only boots with one sitck really anoying. can any one help? also will bending a heatpipe mess with cooling? i only need to move it about a MM.



leaking cooling kit is covered under warranty?
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 3:35:00 AM

I am just wondering if anybody has been able to boot up their memory at 1333mhz. My board sets it at 1064mhz and the wrong timing... I guess the prognosis is that you have to set the timing manually for each ramm slot in the Overclocking bios... Anybody have any luck with this board? My three RAMM sticks make nice paper weights for now but I would like to get them dialed in...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 4:38:31 AM

RMA it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 11:54:43 AM

BadTrip said:
leaking cooling kit is covered under warranty?


Nearly 2 months late and a $1 short. :whistle: 
m
0
l
!