GA-MA785GT-UD3H and Phenom II X3 Issue

nicholasbgr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hello guys. I just got this brand new motherboard and processor. The thing is, the system won't start at all. As soon as I hit the power button the coolers do start, but I've got no VGA output, no beeps, the board and processor heatsinks doesn't seem to get any hot and off course the system won't POST.
I took a look at Gigabyte's website and I found out that my CPU (Phenom II X3 720) is not supported by default and that I need to update the BIOS to version F2. Mine is most probably F1. So I ask you: Even though my CPU isn't supported, wouldn't I be able to POST, enter the bios setup and flash it?
I googled about it and I've found some reports that usually when this happens with ASUS boards, they are still able to POST and flash the bios. The only issue is that the bios won't recognize the processor name and FSB correctly, but after flashing with the lastest bios the problem is gone.
So, my point with this topic is to clarify whether I've got a faulty board or if the problem is caused only by the CPU support issue. I don't have another processor to test and Gigabyte's doesn't list the F1 bios supported CPU. Can you guys help me out?

aeromum

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I'm having exactly the same issue with the same board but an Athlon II X3 425 processor, which IS explicity supported. I've tried turning the machine on with the minimum components/memory (and different brands of memory) but never even get to the bios. Just get "NO SIGNAL" I'd really like some ideas before resorting to returning the board.

aeromum

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I've been looking for a "stupid" answer to my issue. My PSU has 24-pin and 8-pin connectors that get clipped together to make one long connector before plugging into the board and a 4-pin connector that connects into HALF of the 12V connector near the CPU. It took the comment above and reading the m/b booklet four times to figure this out. Sounds stupid, but this had me stymied for a couple of days. Sheesh.