Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Additional exhaust or re-do thermal seal?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 6, 2011 1:07:28 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU
Biostar TA870U3+ AMD 870 Socket AM3 Motherboard
Apevia X-Plorer Black w/ Clr Side
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIe, Dual DVI & HDMI
ULTRA LSX 650W PSU
OCZ Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound
ULTRA X-WIND COPPER 120MM - ALL IN ONE CPU COOLER
3X Cooler Master 80mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Fan
1X 15SharkBlades 83CFM 2Modes120mm BlueLED

Set up is, 2X 80MM intake in the front, 1X 80MM exhaust out the top, 1X 120MM exhaust out the back.

Using the stock cooler with only 1x 80MM out the back and 1X 80MM out the top, max case temp (w/o OC) would be 31-32C.

Now that I have the Ultra X-Wind, and the 2X 80MM intakes and 1X 80MM exhaust + 1X 120MM exhaust, still with no OC my temps are pushing up to 39-41C.

I obviously did something wrong if I have a better CPU cooler and more fans/better intake/exhaust and my temps have gone up.

The side of the case has a scoop kind of thing, but I'm debating putting another 80MM exhaust for the side of the case, but I am unsure if I should re-do the cooler and thermal paste?

So what's the vote, add another exhaust fan for the side of the case, replacing the stupid (useless) scoop thing, or re-do CPU cooler and re-apply thermal paste?
July 6, 2011 2:58:01 PM

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here on the forums I get tons of reads and no responses - this is my second attempt at getting some answers/advice.

If I'm doing/asking something wrong or not supplying enough information, please let me know.

Thank you.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2011 3:28:48 PM

I'd think its just people either cba answering or dont have the skills to answer :p 
I'd check the direction of your fan on the hs, should be blowing through it towards the rear, and upgrade what fans you can to 120mm, no more 80mm's hehe, the noise alone is going to annoy you
although googling the cooler, its not a heavy duty job, if you had a budget there are some good ones like the hyper 212, noctua dh12/14's and thermaltakes silver arrow out there
Moto
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2011 4:31:53 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I'd think its just people either cba answering or dont have the skills to answer :p 
I'd check the direction of your fan on the hs, should be blowing through it towards the rear, and upgrade what fans you can to 120mm, no more 80mm's hehe, the noise alone is going to annoy you
although googling the cooler, its not a heavy duty job, if you had a budget there are some good ones like the hyper 212, noctua dh12/14's and thermaltakes silver arrow out there
Moto

Thanks Moto

The fan doesn't really point in any specific direction, just "up" from the MOBO, which is why I am considering putting another fan for exhaust directly above the fan.

I'm not too pleased with the fan, but I only have a mid-tower case not full tower so I worry the hyper 212 wouldn't fit.

Are 80MM's louder? It definitely a big loud but I use gaming headphones so it doesn't really bother me.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2011 4:41:47 PM

80mm's are a lot louder than 120's especially once they kick up and when bearings age, its horrible
if you can put an exhaust above the fan do that, otherwise I'd have said turn the hs to the rear
and if you measure your clearance from socke to sidepanel, i'm sure we can find you a hardcore cooler that will fit, what case is it btw?
Moto
m
l
July 6, 2011 5:14:55 PM

I honestly feel like this CPU cooler was a waste of money.

Might just put the stock cooler the BE955 came with and invest in a nice Cooler Master or something at a later date.

Not too amazed with the case either, might upgrade to something Full tower with room for better cooling (120MM - 140MM etc)

Something like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... that already has all the fan's in it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2011 5:35:16 PM

Yup, that micro case isnt really going to help at all, unless you fancy modding,
But if your going for a larger case anyhow I would wait till you have it and then see your options for larger heatsinks,
definately advise the larger case option though :) 
Moto
July 6, 2011 5:42:48 PM

Best answer selected by heerobya.
m
l
July 6, 2011 5:43:40 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Yup, that micro case isnt really going to help at all, unless you fancy modding,
But if your going for a larger case anyhow I would wait till you have it and then see your options for larger heatsinks,
definately advise the larger case option though :) 
Moto

Yeah I figured... went a little too cheap with the case. First build and all.

Going to put the stock CPU cooler back in, re-apply the thermal paste etc. and hold out till I can get a new full-tower, then look into a better CPU cooling option.

Thanks Motto
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 6, 2011 6:05:03 PM

No probs man, good luck with the build when it happens :) 
and thank you for B.a.
Moto
m
l
!