Sign in with
Your question

Transferring Data

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2011 2:34:28 AM

Hello,

I had a computer but the motherboard was damaged. I decided to buy a new computer and now voila. But, I would like to transfer all my data (form my old hard drive) to my new computer (new hard drive). I don't know how. Help would be appreciated!

Tahnks

More about : transferring data

a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
March 21, 2011 11:24:42 AM

Just attach the old hard drive to your motherboard. If it doesn't show up in windows then you will need to go into "disk management" and assign the drive a letter. Once the old drive shows up under "my computer" you can just drag & drop files from the old drive to the new drive.

Be aware that any old programs you had installed will need installed on the new drive. Just copying them over from the old drive will not work.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 113 G Storage
March 21, 2011 12:52:59 PM

Most user files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME folder.

The ones you'd want to copy over to the new system are My Documents, Favorites, Desktop. This should bring over pretty much everything, although things like email program settings, icon locations, etc.. won't come over.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 9:06:16 PM

So basically I just have to attach my hard drive to my motherboard just like if I'm installing a new hard drive? I want to know if I can disconnect my current HD and connect the motherboard to the old one? Because I read somewhere that if you connect an old hard drive to the motherboard and it is the FIRST time (I just build my PC) the HDD will lose all his data.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 113 G Storage
March 25, 2011 9:09:49 PM

lolipop12 said:
So basically I just have to attach my hard drive to my motherboard just like if I'm installing a new hard drive? I want to know if I can disconnect my current HD and connect the motherboard to the old one? Because I read somewhere that if you connect an old hard drive to the motherboard and it is the FIRST time (I just build my PC) the HDD will lose all his data.

You don't disconnect the other drive, that has your new Windows installation. Install the other one as a secondary. Probably simplest thing is to get a USB drive case and mount the old drive in it. Just get the right one for your drive interface, IDE or SATA. Then plug the case into the new computer, browse to the directory I posted and copy the files.
m
l
March 25, 2011 10:59:46 PM

If I don't have a USB drive case, I just put my old hard drive as a secondary one and plug it directly to my motherboard?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 375 G Storage
March 26, 2011 2:17:38 PM

lolipop12 said:
If I don't have a USB drive case, I just put my old hard drive as a secondary one and plug it directly to my motherboard?

Yes, and like i said, if it doesn't show up, go into disk management and assign it a drive letter then it will show up.
m
l
!