Low Power Linux Build Advice Needed

dert

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hey folks. I have a rather simple question for you all. I need a very basic Linux box to test some audio streaming software on. I had a 550Mhz box in the closet (yes, ancient, I know) and gave that a spin but the newer distros complained about lack of memory and some other show-stopper issues so I abandoned that idea quickly. I have most of the spare parts on hand to build a 2.4Ghz Pentium machine, but the case I want to use is a MicroATX form factor. My question for the gurus is, what is the MINIMUM power supply I need to run a Socket 478 microATX mobo using a 2.4Ghz Intel chip? I've got a 200 Watt on the shelf but I doubt that's going to fit the bill. Again, power is not the goal here, just very basic performance (and low price would be nice too). I'll be using the on-board video but an add-on sound card (older SoundBlaster) that's necessary to duplicate the environment the machine will be used in. The only other components that will be hooked to the PSU will be a cd-rw/dvd rom drive and the hard drive. If you can provide a link to your suggested PSU, that's even better. Looking forward to your advice. Thanks!

dert

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
No peripherals on even an irregular basis. Might put in a USB device from time to time but that shouldn't stress even a low ball PSU. I like that Corsair. I have a better one in my primary PC and it's been sitting there for ages running like a dream. Can't go wrong with them or Thermaltake. I just hope it fits in the box! The microATX board and cards are really jammed in the one I have. I'll do some shopping for 350-400 Watt PSUs and see what I can grab on the cheap. Thanks!