Freshly built PC, Monitor not working

kecandeta

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
All right. I built my system, everything has power, however the monitor isn't showing anything. Now the motherboard I bought apparently doesn't have a standard VGA connection, and the graphics card doesn't either, but it came with what I assumed was an adapter.

What problems could I be dealing with? I read the sticky above and it said something about the graphics card needing a lot of force to get into the PCI slot. Maybe it isn't in all the way(I'm almost convinced it is). After reading the booklet that came with the graphics card, it mentioned installing Standard Graphics Adapter drivers. Does that mean my VGA connection won't work?

Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB
PSU: Corsair 750tx
GPU: HIS HD4890
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640gb
DVD: LG 22x

armi

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Make a checklist!

1. [] Did you give the video card the power it needs?
2. [] Did you install the driver? (Applies to some video cards. Not sure about GTX 275, I don't have one.)
3. [] Is your cable plugged in right? (I assume you got a DVI cable, make sure your monitor supports it)

The card should operate without installing any drivers. The adapter will give you VGA output.

It requires 2x6-pin power connectors - did you plug those in?

Card inserted: Is the fan on the vid card spinning? Does the card appear to be level? Has it clicked into catch at the end of the PCIe slot?

kecandeta

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
The fan is spinning. When the monitor didn't come on the first time, that's the first thing I checked. I'm going to try removing the card and putting it back in just to make sure it is in all the way. Basically, I just wanted to know what you told me, Twoboxer, and that's whether or not the adapter will give me VGA output.

I'm going to end up getting a new monitor on Friday, but I want to get everything set up before then since everything is in the case and, at the very least, has power.

kecandeta

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
All right. I just checked the graphics card. It feels loose, but I can't pull it out and it isn't going any further in the slot. Unless the fact that its loose means it isn't all the way in the slot.

Ah. Frustrating stuff.

kecandeta

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I'm an idiot. I didn't push the RAM in their slots all the way. Everything is working fine. Thanks a ton, guys, for the advice.

First build. I'm stoked.