Computer wont turn on after overclocking memory

blacklic0ric3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Plz help, i tried to overclock my 800mhz corsair DDR2 memory to 1066mhz and after I saved the settings and restarted the computer, nothing shows up. My computer runs but I see nothing on screen. I tried removing the battery for 10 mins but nothing happened, so now I will try for 30mins. plz help

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
This exactly what happened to me when I cleaned my PC, turned it on, and find out eventually that I forgot to reinstall the mems.

Do you have a jumper for resetting CMOS settings? If so, then do it. You could also use anything metal to reset it. But if the battery is the one maintaining power to the CMOS then it should already lose its data by then.

Another thing is to try the modules to a separate system and see if it works. At the same time, get an another RAM stick and see if you PC will boot. This way, you could determine if you've really busted your mems.

Check also the motherboard for burn marks.

blacklic0ric3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I have alrdy tried using the jumper but nothing happened...I dont have any other desktops to put the memory in so I cant check them in a different system. I tried using em one at a time but still got nothing. I hope i dont have to go PC-less until I get more money for new parts :(

It's almost 10 AM here in Saudi Arabia, so Merry Christmas.

On to your problem:

:pfff:
[strike]Why did you try to overclock your memory?[/strike] Never mind, I know. Someone either told you or you read somewhere that it is an easy way to improve system performance. Worked really well, didn't it?

We have a lot of threads about why not to overclock memory. I know; I've written several of them.

Then how do you know it's running? Did it POST? Did you get a single short beep or any beeps at all? Just because fans spin and the case LED's illuminate does not mean it is running.

Did you RTFM?

Let me make some assumptions, since you did not post your system specs.
First, I know that you do not have a Gigabyte motherboard. A Gigabyte motherboard would automatically reset itself to a bootable state if you overdo an OC setting. I am guessing that you have an Asus or similar board that needs to have the BIOS manually cleared.

I am guessing that you have a Core2 system.

And I am guessing that you did not read the motherboard manual. It contains instructions to clear (reset to factory defaults) the BIOS. But I cannot even download a copy of of your motherboard manual and tell you where to look in it because you did not give your system specs.

So ...
System specs?

If you check the time stamps, our last posts coincided almost exactly. So we can eliminate my third assumption. Is this a new build, or had it been working for a while? And I still need system specs.

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

That thread mentions breadboarding and how to assemble the system piece by piece and testing after each step.

blacklic0ric3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
core 2 quad q6600
mobo: intel dp35dp
memory: 800mhz corsair xms2 4gig
video: radeom 4890
psu: corsair 450w

it is a build I had for a while and I did read the manual so I know how to reset bios.... Idk how to tell if it did POST but I did not hear any beeps

blacklic0ric3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Yea, making fun of me isnt going to help anything....problem solved though, Im getting an i7, new mobo, and ddr3 ram. Planned on getting it anyway and today I just found a better reason to get it. Thank you all for helping though

blacklic0ric3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I overclocked it because I had been (mis)informed that I could get my cpu up to 3.0ghz w/o adjusting voltages (no OC bios) if I had OCd my memory(kept shutting off at 2.8ghz and wasnt even hot). Im just never going to OC memory ever again.

but I have one more question, Would yall say it can be assured that my problem is either in the memory, cpu, or mobo? I would hate to get the new i7 stuff n still have the same problem