CompUSA warranty vs. direct Toshiba warranty

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 20, 2004 12:39:14 PM

I am planning on getting the laptop through CompUSA. I checked the
warranty prices.

CompUSA charges $500 for 3 years. They claim they will cover the
accidental screen damage (twice during entire warranty), hard drive
damage and other accidental damage INCLUDING batteries (batteries also
covered twice during the entire warranty). When asked to compare their
warranty against Toshiba warranty, they claimed that Toshiba only
covers one repair per year i.e. if the keyboard has a problem, Toshiba
will fix it. Now, if during the same year, keyboard has some problem
again or the screen has a problem, I will have to wait till the second
year of warranty for Toshiba to cover the repair !!!! If this is true,
then people would be crazy to buy Toshiba plan. CompUSA will cover
repairs any number of times per year. That makes the CompUSA warranty
look GREAT.

I called up Toshiba too. They charge $300 for 3 years (their
systemguard warranty). They claim they cover all accidental damage
EXCEPT batteries. And yes, they did confirm that they will cover only
one accidental incident per year. The rep didn't seem to be too
knowledgeable.

Am I missing out some fine print in the CompUSA warranty ? or missing
out on some great features being offered by Toshiba ??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2004 7:18:10 PM

Is there a reason this is posted twice?
"Kamal" <kamald2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am planning on getting the laptop through CompUSA. I checked the
> warranty prices.
>
> CompUSA charges $500 for 3 years. They claim they will cover the
> accidental screen damage (twice during entire warranty), hard drive
> damage and other accidental damage INCLUDING batteries (batteries also
> covered twice during the entire warranty). When asked to compare their
> warranty against Toshiba warranty, they claimed that Toshiba only
> covers one repair per year i.e. if the keyboard has a problem, Toshiba
> will fix it. Now, if during the same year, keyboard has some problem
> again or the screen has a problem, I will have to wait till the second
> year of warranty for Toshiba to cover the repair !!!! If this is true,
> then people would be crazy to buy Toshiba plan. CompUSA will cover
> repairs any number of times per year. That makes the CompUSA warranty
> look GREAT.
>
> I called up Toshiba too. They charge $300 for 3 years (their
> systemguard warranty). They claim they cover all accidental damage
> EXCEPT batteries. And yes, they did confirm that they will cover only
> one accidental incident per year. The rep didn't seem to be too
> knowledgeable.
>
> Am I missing out some fine print in the CompUSA warranty ? or missing
> out on some great features being offered by Toshiba ??
April 21, 2004 12:38:24 AM

No idea how it got posted twice ! I posted it only once
!