Sign in with
Your question

Burning Audio CDs

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2011 1:52:47 PM

I have always had a problem burning Audio CDs and getting the tracks to burn in the order I arranged them. I am not sure why this happens. I have used different burning software, tried changing the names of the tracks to numbers (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4,) and other things to force the tracks to be burned in the order I want. No matter what I do it appears that there is some hidden algorithm that is used to decide how the tracks are burned on the CD. Can someone explain this to me?

More about : burning audio cds

a c 311 G Storage
March 21, 2011 3:14:45 PM

There is no hidden algorithm, and (I'm sorry to say), this problem is somewhere in the range of rare to unique with you. I have never had tracks burn out of order, for example. I've also never heard of this before.

Can you tell us the name of one or more burning programs that you have used, and post both a screenshot of the selection screen before burning and the actual order in which the tracks ended up on the CD? The burn order is not necessarily the order in which you added the tracks, but the order they are set to in the contents panel.

Is it possible that your playback program is set to Shuffle the tracks, so that they are being burned in the correct order but playing in a random order?

I'm grasping at straws because this seems so unlikely.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 21, 2011 3:16:17 PM

Well, the simple answer is no. No hidden algorithm, (except some times by track title a-z). Another guess might be the track designation in the MP3 tags. If you are using windows 7, you can see this information at the bottom of the Window in explorer when you select the track.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2011 8:22:55 PM

I have used Nero, BurnAware and some others. The problem seems to be with the reader, because the tracks come out right on the PC but play differently in different devices, like a home theater or car cd player. I read somewhere that there is some high dollar professional program that can can make it so a CD plays the same in all devices. I can't remember all the technical jargon as to why some readers read the tracks differently, but it has something to do with some type of hidden code on a part of the CD that most writers can't write to. But it was a long time ago that I read that so that might not be the case today. But I will try the three digit number idea and see if that helps. As far as the mp3 track designation, I have never heard of that. I am using XP, so I will have to see where that information is located. But I seldom burn MP3's to disc. I mostly convert old vinyl records to wav, separates the tracks and burn them to a cd in the order they are on the album. But thanks for the advice.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 21, 2011 8:35:39 PM

Interesting. I've been in the business for a long time and have not come across this issue before except as I stated above.

However, try this.
Use Itunes (easiest way to do this over the net).
Import your WAV files to iTunes.
Right click the file and select "get info"
Set track number field.
Use Itunes to burn the CD.

---> note I am not a big iTunes user so iTunes may convert your WAV file. You can go to preferences to define a losses codec to use if so.
m
l
March 21, 2011 11:55:45 PM

Thanks. I usually avoid anything Apple related, just because they try to take over your universe and make you a slave to them for the rest of your life. But I guess I could if iTunes a try if nothing else works.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 22, 2011 3:27:40 AM

So, instead of itunes, use WinAMP. I can't tell you the exact path to tagging the files, and WinAMP won't convert your files either. Itunes just happens to be an easy way to test, and im with you, ITUNES is not the greatest. Just don't install the safari advertisement :) 
m
l
!