Gtx 275 sli..

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Okay so basically my question is when i decide to add another gtx 275 to my computer how much do you think i should overclock my system to achieve the best preformance. I have heard of people who barely gain or dont gain much from sli at all.. and i need to know exactly how to get all that preformance. I wish it were as easy as slapping in another card with an sli bridge but i guess not. Heres my specs.

750i ftw Mobo
gtx 275 (msi dual frozr)
4 gb of reaper @ 1066 < will be 8 gb before sli if i do sli
Intel Q9550@ stock speed. < have overclocked it to over 3.4 before
1000w psu (cooler master)
Hyper 212 cooler (dual fans)
Cooler Master Stacker 810 case
1x seagate 250gb
1x wd 500 gb.

So will my current setup hold up to this next card and exactly what should i try to achieve with my overclock.. Im feeling that i will need to go 3.4 or higher?

The CPU overclock will not affect the second 275 regardless. Nor will the 8GB of ram, the factor here is that you play a game that will utilize both cards in Sli and benefit off of them. Since the Q9950 overclocks to 3.4-3.6Ghz easy, I would suggest you leave it between those 2 clock speeds, pop in the second 275 and leave everything else alone for now....Enjoy....

On a side note : the only thing that might hold you back at the moment is your hard-drives. What drive are you using for your OS and what drive do you use for the games?

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
i have the os on the 250 gb harddrive. Simpily because the seagate has a 7200rpm and 32 mb cache instead of the 500 gb's 16 mb cache. I havent had any problems with the drives. I am fairly organized with the pc so i dont have any spyware malaware.. etc I am aware only certain games utilize sli.. but i own newer games so im sure id see the preformance. (Farcry 2, Crysis, Company of Heros, Cod4 and waw, Command and Conquer 3, etc) Im assuming more and more games wil be more compatible with sli.