Daisy chaining fans

sepiantum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
What would be the result of this? I have 5 system fans and I don't have that many fan headers on my mobo. So what would be the effect of daisy chaining the fans together? Would I get the fans to run at a lower speed or what? Thanks all who enlighten me.

Solution
My fans came with Molex adapters, the same big plugs we used to use for hard drives and floppy drives. These plugs have male on one side and female on the other, so you can plug one plug into a power cable from the power supply, then plug the next fan into the first fan's connector, then plug the next into that, etc. This is really wiring the fans in parallel and because each fan doesn't require much current, it works fine. I do this in my machine and connect the 2 front panel fans into a single connector from the power supply.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My fans came with Molex adapters, the same big plugs we used to use for hard drives and floppy drives. These plugs have male on one side and female on the other, so you can plug one plug into a power cable from the power supply, then plug the next fan into the first fan's connector, then plug the next into that, etc. This is really wiring the fans in parallel and because each fan doesn't require much current, it works fine. I do this in my machine and connect the 2 front panel fans into a single connector from the power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS