Voltage Tweaking + Furmark Settings

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hey! I have a couple questions regarding voltage tweaking. Are the following statements correct?

Raising your voltage gives you more headroom to increase core clock, shader clock and memory clock.
Raising your voltage creates more heat.
Raising your voltage lessens the life span of your hardware.

I've read around A LOT in regards to overclocking a GTX 470, but I always like to come here with my conclusions to see if I interpreted them correctly.

Also, what settings should I use in furmark to correlate to a stable overlock to play games like Crysis 2? Keep in mind, Crysis 2 just released it's DX11 pack + high res textures.

Anyone else have any stable settings for a GTX470?

Solution
Raising your voltage gives you more headroom to increase core clock, shader clock and memory clock.
Core clock and shader clock are linked, so raising your gpu voltage will give you more latitude to overclock your core. If you have the option to raise memory voltage, then that can give you higher overclocks on your VRAM. However, if you don't have heatsinks on your memory modules, (this varies from card to card) then you don't want to mess with your memory that much and especially not the voltage.

Always.

Probably, thought I don't know what tests have been done to confirm this, though it's generally...

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Core clock and shader clock are linked, so raising your gpu voltage will give you more latitude to overclock your core. If you have the option to raise memory voltage, then that can give you higher overclocks on your VRAM. However, if you don't have heatsinks on your memory modules, (this varies from card to card) then you don't want to mess with your memory that much and especially not the voltage.

Always.

Probably, thought I don't know what tests have been done to confirm this, though it's generally accepted that any type of overclocking leaves you with diminished lifespan.

I don't like Furmark for stability testing, it won't appropriately stress your VRAM and often unnecessarily stresses your core. I find that actual gaming without Vsync to be the best way to stress test. Crysis has always been my favorite, but in your case I'd recommend cranking everything to max on Crysis 2 DX11 and running through the single player.

Solution

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

Thanks a ton!

TRENDING THREADS