Guys at local Comp Store

shyheim

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
These guys at the local computer store are trying to convince me that going with an i7 instead of the Phenom II is completely worth it. I'm not sure if its because they want more money from me (which seems weird since they didnt own the store, maybe they get commission). What do you guys think, are they jerking me around?

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
well that depends on how much of a computer "lover" you are really. core i7 is definitely faster and probably more future proof. Yet the P2 is slower and less expensive. It really depends what you're using the comp for

That being said:
What exactly are you going to be using the computer for? and will you be overclocking?

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Well i'd say the i7 920 then. it may be a bit more expensive but it kicks the P2's butt just about everywhere. Plus you probably wont have to upgrade again for a while, seeing as the i7 is much more future proof.

It's really a gut decision though. core i7 is amazing but it costs up to around $200 more than the P2. If you've got a gut feeling to go with the P2 go with that, if it's for the i7 go with that one.

G

I7s have been consistently OC'd to 4.0Ghz, P2s have not.

Toms actually just did a P2 vs. I7 comparison in which the P2 system had better graphics cards and the I7 system still beat it by a considerable margin. Set your AMD bias aside, the I7 is the superior CPU.