This old desk top

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I have a question about compatibility.My son has a Medion composer 5100 with a p4 3ghz and a ms 7046 motherboard.He wants more frame rate for his online games ie. team fortress 2, halflife ext. it's just about at the max for upgrades it could take 2 mb of ram and I guess I could go a bit further with the video card (now he has a gs 9500gt)it may also need a better cpu fan as the one he has seems to be on full most of the time (and yes we dust frequently) what I want to know is, can I upgrade his processor to, say a core dou? or is it time to bite the bullet and get a new pc. I'm trying to be budget minded and wanted to keep it under $200 the cheaper the better I'm not made out of the stuff.
thanks
Peter

Well from what i can find this motherboard only supports p4's. so you wont be able to put in core 2 duo.

For improving gaming, the only think you could truly do is get a better gpu. although a you need to get a new computer sooner or later if you want to run duo/quad core cpu.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The methodology to find out if you can upgrade a CPU is generally to go to the motherboards manufacturers website,look under support especially for CPU and find out there.It usually works.
I looked here at their support site and couldn't find anything on that motherboard even under their archives.However this is probably because the MS-7046 motherboard most likely has another name for it and that's just the model number.
I am guessing that it's probably one of those 915P motherboards since it uses the 915P chipset.The motherboard supports Intel Pentium 4 Prescott LGA 775 processors.
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodarchive&maincat_no=1
I did find a manual looking here though
http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/7046-engl%20v1.0%20-%20MS-7046.pdf
Doing a google search though I did catch a glimpse that stated
"CPU Intel Pentium 4 (3.2 GHz) Motherboard MS 7046 ... That chipset doesn't support any Core 2 processors and it doesn't support Pentium D too."
It is however an early socket 775 motherboard but it seems that you're out of luck.
$200 as a budget is generally too cheap to consider.
However on the low end it's possible to find some inexpensive motherboards,a CPU and RAM that would cost around the $200 mark.Even a new current low end budget CPU would easily outperform an obsolete 3 Ghz P4.
Once you change the motherboard though you will need another license for Windows which will set you back another $100.
So perhaps it would be best to raise that budget for a $450 -$650 new budget PC system for your son.Other people at this forum would be glad to make some suggestions.
Edit I see that Gulli already made a new components suggestion.

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Wow thanks for all the advice from every one. that was quick and answered all my questions. you guys did quite a bit of research for a guy you don't even know. with the OS adding another $100 to a quickly growing budget i think we might take a bit more time and think about what we really need.

I'm quite handy and a possibly foolish enough to start with a bare bones kit seeing as we have plenty of peripherals at hand .

Thanks again and count on me dropping by in a few weeks with more questions.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Why do you need a new OS? Doesn't the old desktop have XP on it?

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Linux for a gaming PC? You've gotta be kidding me...

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

A lot of games don't work, and if they work they have less fps and you often have to recompile Wine just to get rid of all kinds of bugs, that's a lot of trouble to go through for reduced fps...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Yes, that might be true, but Source based games are all gold standard WINE games, meaning little or no difference towards a Windows installation. Even if he doesn't get a higher fps, the saving of $100 means that he could perhaps buy something more expensive like a HD 4890 or something. Windows does cost money you know.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

It doesn't have to cost any money...

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I know this is off topic Random,

But I have a question. I know a guy that I built a custom rig for and he knows a guy that used to repair his computers for him that made him a copy of MS office 07 that installs without using a Key. I have seen him run it in his computer and it updates through MS. Is this legal? I do not use pirated software and I do not recomend that he use's it either. Any Ideas on why no code is needed to install?

Thanks for any Opinion or info Random

randomizer

Champion
Well he may have embedded the key within the installer. Visual Studio typically has an embedded key and so you don't need to enter one, as do some OEM copies of Windows. It may also have been cracked, in which case it does breach the EULA.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I think it is cracked. When I installed my copy of '07 Student it needed a key. Just take a look at the CD and the box. If he can't show the Microsoft certificate of authenticity, then it's fake.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Well thanks for the input guys and ladies ;) .... I informed him of the risk's involved of running it if it is fake. I am guessing if it is a fake that MS will catch it at some point because it updates with MS updates? I guess time will tell.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Generally Microsoft doesn't do that.Instead when someone has an invalid key they offer the user a valid license for a fee (the price of the license of the software).
On old software like Windows ME,98,95,3.1,DOS etc that's not supported (unprotected) anymore on obsolete hardware I don't think they would care or be obsessed with catching someone running Doom 2 on an old Pentium system with Windows 95 even if one broke the Windows 95 license agreement.

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
LoL I leave for a few days and my thread gets hyjacked.
as to the OS question, if I switch out the cpu and the mother board will my old os instal on the "new system" or do I need a fresh copy of xp?

smokey14

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I guess My question now goes something like this: I have the original windows xp home addition OS disk that came with my Medion composer 5100 ( 0ne disk that is xp sp1 and another disk that is application software ) so if I replace my mother board and my CPU will I be able to use that disk or will I have to get a new licence for windows? If I could do that I wouldn't need a new copy of Xp and that would reduce the build cost by about $100 ( and that would make my very happy :)
thanks again
Peter

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
You should be able to use your XP key that came with that computer, and install XP with that disc. I perfer clean installs however and not disc's that come with store bought computers. I believe you can use any install CD or DVD to install the Microsoft OS, and then use your legit key if you would like.