moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi fellas!

I started my computer this morning and immediately saw something wierd :

1. my computer skipped the usual ram check
2. it did not go throught all my periphericals
3. The ASUS boot screen poped up twice

I wasn't really worried at this point until I start my session to realise that I can't boot 90% of my exe files. For some unterminable reasons I can start CCleaner or Defraggler but I can't start anything else. I can't browse the web on FF or Chrome, can't start any games nor Adobe suite.

Furthermore, none of my .exe files that usually start with Windows didn't start this time (i.e.: Steam, Daemon Tools, etc.)

Everything else seems to be fine : my usb components, my two monitors, my sound system, etc. work perfectly.

I went on the internet on my laptop to check for a solution and tried many things :

1. Booted in Safe mode and networking and it was the same thing... Couldn't run a thing aside from CCleaner.
2. Downloaded the Doug Knox fix for Windows 7... didn't work.
3. Went into the registry and everything seemed fine in the .exe reg.
4. Restored my system to earlier date.

I know that I ran defraggler earlier but I didn't let it finish, could it be the cause of the problem?

So is there a solution? I don't want to reformat until I know I have no other choice, I have a ton of games I got from Steam that I would need to re-download wich would be a pain :(.

Thanks alot for your help!

my rig : X4 995
GTX470
8G RAM
ASUS M4A87TB Evo

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
You're saying the issue interferes with your boot/POST sequence, but you're still loading Windows successfully? This kinda sounds like a firmware rootkit to me, but that's almost impossible. You'd be totally screwed in that case.
Go into BIOS first, see if anything's changed. You wouldn't see anything if it is a rootkit, of course, but it might not be.
Oh, and wait for someone more experienced in this area to say something. I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, I admit.

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
1. Malwarebytes won't run in neither normal or safe mode.
2. The lastest restore is this morning...
3. Not that I'm aware of.

If I go to the BIOS what should I be looking for? I'm kind of a newb when it comes to that.

Thanks!

Do this to scan and more

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
YAzYx.jpg

Thanks God I was able to open Paint, paste the screeny, put in on my flash drive, transfert it on my Mac and upload it.

I can't use Hiren on my flash drive since the exe wont work on my PC and can't run on Mac so I'll burn it on a CD.

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

It's burning as we speak! Hopefully it'll find something and get rid of it for good!

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
So I've try to use the CD on Safe mode and it didn't work...

I pressed F8 during start up, selected the CD as booting device and now I have a load of option but I'm quite lost t_t

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Thing is, Malwarebytes cannot be run on XP and it won't open in Windows 7... Crap.

Booting
Once the disk is burned, place it on a DVD or CD drive on the computer and restart the computer. After the computer displays its default first screen, the disk will scan and load the Hiren's Boot menu. The menu gives users three options. The options are to start the computer normally, load Mini Windows XP or load the disk. Choose the disk-loading option to work within the disk parameters and run in DOS. DOS is a simplified process that uses only text. The CD provides shortcuts to each utility.

moamyot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I'll try that try! Thanks!

I already tried the Doug Knox fix and it didn't do the trick :(