Should i keep going?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Ok so i have a Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC (it came stock at 900MHz)
(Using i5-2500k OC'd to 4.4GHz)

Ive overclocked using AfterBurner up to:

Core Voltage: 1075
Core Clock: 975
Shader Clock: 1950
Memory Clock: 2100

This overclock is nicely stable using Unigine (temps stay about 60degrees) and Furmark Stability test (temps stay about 68degrees).

Should i keep going with Overclocking? (I dont want to damage my card in any way, id just like to maximise what the card has to offer in order the get a nice FPS on new games for everyday use).

If anyone has any nice stable OC settings higher than ive listed, let me know and let me know if its good for long term use on a daily basis.

Thanks.

Solution
Nobody can give you an "OC Spec" and tell you to follow suit, as all cards are different and some don't OC as well as others. 975MHz with 1075mV is a good OC when considering most cards though, but I'm guessing you whould be able to go to 1000MHz with a 1100mV if you want to. 68'C is a good load temp at the current OC settings, but I must ask you to stop using FurMark. FurMark isn't very good for your GPU, and can cause premature degredation on your card. Rather stick with 3DMark, MSI Kombustor or something similar.

In general I wouldn't OC too far for long term use, the gain is too little and the heat is too high. I'd recommend your current settings as general, everyday OC to be fine. I've had a nice fat OC for everyday use for...

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Nobody can give you an "OC Spec" and tell you to follow suit, as all cards are different and some don't OC as well as others. 975MHz with 1075mV is a good OC when considering most cards though, but I'm guessing you whould be able to go to 1000MHz with a 1100mV if you want to. 68'C is a good load temp at the current OC settings, but I must ask you to stop using FurMark. FurMark isn't very good for your GPU, and can cause premature degredation on your card. Rather stick with 3DMark, MSI Kombustor or something similar.

In general I wouldn't OC too far for long term use, the gain is too little and the heat is too high. I'd recommend your current settings as general, everyday OC to be fine. I've had a nice fat OC for everyday use for a while, then noticed that the gain is too little and I can dramatically drop the temps if I just play games at 4x AA and not 8x AA so the temps and higher OC isn't justified. Find your "ballpark" and make some adjustments to games, don't just run everything at ultra settings... :)

Solution

alancode

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I just had a Gigabyte 570 OC version, oc'ed it to 1.1v, 900mhz...it was at 64 degrees while playing rift, my computer just shut down...would not start up again.. ever. I am having to have the motherboard replaced because it fried everything, my cpu, memory, hard drive won't boot..and my card wont work either. Don't go too far my friend.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Thank you all for such swift responses. Some pretty scary stories in there too! As for games i play COD4, CS:S and have just played through Bioshock 2 without any problems, high temps or crashes. Toxic holds a good point that the gain is fairly minor compared to the extra stress on the GPU. l guess ill leave it as it is for now as it does seem to be a solid overclock.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

It was probably the PSU that got fried, and the GFX card isn't to blame. As long as you have sufficient power, it can't go wrong (except for obvious overheating/artifacting, obviously).

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
An hour's play at higer speeds mean you were probably on the edge, and the GFX card needed very little to push it over the edge. Good choice in dropping it down again, it's not worth it. Just for interest sake, what temps were you running before the crash, or don't you know?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Avoid using FurMark, please. There's a reason it returns higher temps than all other programs, and that's because it actually causes early degradation on your GPU (absolutely maxes out the GPU, where other programs hang at around 99% stress). Something like 3DMark or MSI Kombustor is better. The nice thing about Kombustor is that it's included in the new MSI Afterburner package. Allows overclocking, temperature monitoring and benchmarking in one. Works well, and handles like a dream.