Sign in with
Your question

Are these 2 things compatible?

Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2009 8:10:47 PM

Hey guys Im building a new computer,

Is this motherboard http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB... compatible with this RAM http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY... , because I noticed the mobo supports 1.5v ram and the RAM is 1.65v

Another thing Im getting Antec 300 with the mobo I listed above and Xigmatek Dark Knight, just wanna know if the Xigmatek Dark Knight will with onto my motherboard and will the whole thing fit in my Antec 300?
Another thing which way should my fan on my heatsink face?

More about : things compatible

a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2009 8:27:43 PM

The RAM needs 1.65V at 1600Mhz, but you will probably be running it at 1333. It should default at 1066 1.5V to start anyway, so you should be fine.
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 30, 2009 8:40:00 PM

Another thing Im getting Antec 300 with the mobo I listed above and Xigmatek Dark Knight, just wanna know if the Xigmatek Dark Knight will with onto my motherboard and will the whole thing fit in my Antec 300?
Another thing which way should my fan on my heatsink face? said:
Another thing which way should my fan on my heatsink face?

Just a reminder... here is the same info. I provided in your other thread... Need advice on my new AMD 940 GAMING RIG about the components fitting into the Antec 300

Wire's PC

vis213's PC

You can go to this website and see more pictures... http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/365540-antec-30...

Based on the two pictures I provided, it looks like the Xigmatek Dark Knight's fan is turned toward the top of the case, so the air flows out of the top of the case.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 30, 2009 8:45:33 PM

That pretty well sums it up. RAM has to go into the outside slots, but yeah it works.
June 30, 2009 8:52:50 PM

Yea I was just a bit worried, about the xigmateks fan, I bought a 120mm fans and placed it on the side panel so that the air is blowing in, and also the top fan and back fan are blowing air out, so in which direction would it make the most sense to place my xigmatek dark knight fan IN? also the 2 front 120mm fans are blowing air in if that makes any difference to the position of my Xigmatek Dark Knights fan.
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 2:43:17 AM

If it fits, you want the Xigmatek fan to face the front of the case, so it is sucking the air coming into the case through the cooler. However, it doesn't matter since it will work both ways.

Read Proximon's thread before installing the Xigmatek... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252942-29-some-notes-... ... It tells you how to apply the thermal grease to it.
July 1, 2009 7:32:22 AM

Another question,

my specs
AMD 955
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
OCZ Platinum AMD Edition 4GB
XFX XXX HD 4870 1gb
1 DVD/CD drive
1 500GB HDD
Antec 300 (2 fans) + 3 120mm fans

I was planning on getting a 750W because I wanted to crossfire the 4870 in the future, but the DX11 are coming out soon so I decided not to crossfire the 4870, so I dont know if I should get the 650W or 750W and will 750W be enought to power up the future DX11 video card crossfire?

Another thing what RAM (prefebly cheeper) do you recommend instead of the one I listed above
July 1, 2009 3:46:47 PM

OK, but is there like a significant difference between 650W PSU and 750 PSU....by significant differance I mean like the difference bettwen single video card and crossfire/SLI
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 6:35:42 PM

The only way to answer that is to educate you about power supplies. You can get that knowledge by reading the section in my guide on PSUs, then following the links there.

There is a lot more to power supplies than wattage. They are complicated devices.
July 1, 2009 7:34:10 PM

I think I worded that question incorectly. by significant differance I mean the differance between the 650W supporting single video card and the 750W supporting crossfire

Edit: Or let me word it this way, keeping in mind the parts I listed above, will Corsair 650W we enough to power up 2 4870's in Crossfire?
and what GPU combination would you say would push the Corsair 650W and PC P&C 750W to its limits?
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 7:52:54 PM

While you can technically put two 4870s on a Corsair 650TX, I would not recommend it. The 650TX is best left to CF 4850s.

The PC P&C 750W or the Corsair 750TX will run CF 4870s fine, even if they are overclocked. Also SLI GTX 260 core 216s.

CF 4890s might be OK for the 750W units, but I would prefer the 850Ws for those, especially if overclocked.

Those are my margins for everything. If you go to the Corsair site, they have a little calculator that will tell you what they prefer:
http://www.corsair.com/
July 1, 2009 8:45:07 PM

Ill just get the 750W for now just to be on the safe side, and I can always upgrade my PSU as it does not affect the rest of my components as much.

Another quick questions I just got a Xigmatek Dark Knight should the fan be sucking the hot air out of the heatsink or blowing cold air into the heatsink?
July 1, 2009 8:51:28 PM

klasher, got my pc, took me 4 hours to build but fans wont work lol i think i got wiring mixed up :o :o :o :o :o :o  :'(  manual is gay.
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 8:51:58 PM

It should be blowing cold air into the heatsink.

Look at my picture....

You can always add another fan on the back side of the heatsink that sucks the hot air out if you have the room. It is an option to increase your cooling.

July 1, 2009 9:11:14 PM

kronik2k... DAM 4 hours, probobly gonna take me like 3 days to built my lol, sry bout the fans man dont know what I can do to help =/.... the AMD 955 just droped my 10 pounds its 149 now..... I think... gonna order it this weekend with my PSU and the rest of my parts the weekend after that.... cause my dad got some major payments to do this weekend.

tecmo34.... Yea, my antec 300 has a fan in the back and a fan at the top that suck hot air out so I think Im gonna place my CPU fan towards the front of my case and screw it in so it blows cold air in. Just like yours........I think.
July 1, 2009 9:32:10 PM

LMFAO ! Its 149 now lmfao ?

Sad.

Got fans working lol, just hope I've set this beast up right !

U should see how big my case is Ive got the antec 902 it looks evil, + the 4890 is as long as my foot lol + Im size 10 !!

Also got an asus 22" HD LCD lolol all wireless in my bedroom...

Just waiting for Windows 7 64 or xp 64 to download which ever first will go in it !

I r so happy now.

Nice way to waste a grand lol.

Argh my house so messy now got like 2000 screws on the floor n room stacked up with boxes :@ !

Tecmo, your wires own mine lololol, mine looks like a T800 shot in the head.
July 1, 2009 10:02:19 PM

mhh... I hope everything will fit in my case cause its smaller than yours. Let me know how you games run.

Im getting the LG 22" FULL HD =) 155 pounds... good deal

I would use the windows 7 over the Xp cause I was told that xp doesnt support DX10 or something like that, anyone Im still gonna have to download my =/

Just got my 3 120mm fans installed in my antec 300 and tried it out with my PSU from my other computer...very sexy, couldnt stop starring at it =]

I like to keep my room clean =) altough it never is. Probobly gonna burn all my boxes lol... jk Might squeeze them in my closet or just shove em in my corner.
July 1, 2009 10:12:10 PM

Start downloading win 7 now, ya don't wanna be like me stuck here on my old pc with a giant 22" monitor lol.

This monitor is gonna destroy my eyeballs I swear to god ! Its too wide lol !

llololol yeah the led's just suck you in don't they haha

Just cleaned teh room... You should see how high my pile of garments is lol.

win 7 = 17% done....

Might just install XP 32bit on it till win7 downloads...

Ye I bought Dawn of War 2 today so I'll let u know !
July 1, 2009 10:30:16 PM

I might buy my 22" a week or 2 after I build my computer so ima just gonna use my dads 20" TV before I get my 22".

Yea lol 20" are just too small for me and the 22" feel a bit too big, it be good if they had like 21"s....

How much space does win 7 take up?

Couple quick questions
What PSU u got?
and are you planning on overclocking and if you are to what extent, cause I probobly will as soon as i get my rig build and are you gonna crossfire that 4890?

This is proly a silly questions but I just cant sleep without knowing the answer, when you first turn on your PC do you wait for something to pop up and than you put your CD with your operationg system or do have to click somewhere and than u put ur cd in or what? and are you downloading your drives or are you gonna install them form your CD's
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 1, 2009 11:31:39 PM

Kronik2k... Thanks for the comment on my cable mgmt. Just don't ask me to take off my side panel behind my MOBO. :)  The cables might jump out & hit you!! LOL. When I installed my computed, I ran all my PSU cables through the bottom opening before installing the cables. Next, I plugged my wires back through the case and left the extra cables there to organize & hide behind the side panel.

K1ash3r... When you install all your parts and boot up the first time, you go into your BIOS and select to boot from CD, install your CD in your drive & hit F10 to save and boot from the drive.
July 2, 2009 9:25:10 PM

.....wtf -_- I just finished downloading Windows 7 and when I try to burn it onto a DVD with Active ISO Burner I get some gay error... Which program did you use to burn yours?

edit: I tried it with my othe ISO files and they worked fine, so the problem must be with the win7.iso.. I quess Im just gonna redownload win7 and see if the helps.
July 3, 2009 1:28:10 AM

OMG pc up + running swiftly lol !

Have a look at comments on the torrent see if anyone else had problems ? Did they ?

Also try another ISO burner, I suggest this as it can burn bootable discs ( so you can install OS on a fresh drive ) ---> http://ImgBurn.com

If you need a good phr33 OS get this its XP 64 bit very good + I'll seed 4 j00 ---> http://www.mininova.org/tor/2672430

Re downloading will help too !

GL BRO !

Tecmo;

Yeah lol I think the side panel on mine looks a mess too at least its hidden away from naked eye lol, time to install Dawn of War 2 r o f l.
BTW you play any games ?
this 1920 1080 res hurts my eyes lol
July 3, 2009 6:52:52 AM

Yea Ill try everything to get this stupid thing working..What PSU u got?
and are you planning on overclocking and if you are to what extent, cause I probobly will as soon as i get my rig build and are you gonna crossfire that 4890
July 3, 2009 9:23:53 AM

O soz didn't see ur post lol, was like 2am or something lol, err I got this 700w one instead of that 750w due to the fact its cheaper + idk much about PSU's lol.
--> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

I dunno about overclocking it seems fast enough as it is lol plays dawn of war 2 max settings at like 30-70 fps ( 30 in big battles ) plus when I overclocked my old pc it started to mash up lol, don't wanna risk anything with this one !

Doubt I'll crossfire this 4890 cuz PSU won't be able to handle 2 4890s I think but ! I'll be Xfiring before I overclock !

Plus this Mobo got some nice OC software :p  looks smexi.

P.S win 7 is like 5.5GB <3

Need a dvd r disc to burn !
July 3, 2009 10:31:19 AM

Iv seen reviews of the PC P&C 750W and it looks like its a good PSU so I guess im just order that today.

Since I got CPU cooler Ill overlock to maybe 3.6ghz or something aroud there

I dun really plan on crossfiring my 4870, peobobly gonna get a DX11 video card when they come out

Yea my mobo got some nice OC software as well

It started to burn win7 but I dont know if it finished sucessfuly cause I had to go to school lol. Ill let you know if it works =)

July 3, 2009 2:52:01 PM

You got ur pc now ??
July 3, 2009 3:04:11 PM

Unfortuntly not yet. I got my case, 3 120mm fans and CPU cooler. Im gonna order my PSU and CPU today(next day delivery) and get my GPU, MOBO, RAM, HDD and optical drive next weekend. Im not sure when Im getting my 22" thought so for now Im gonna use my dads 20"

So what operating system are you running? and do you usully buy games or play pirate games?
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 3, 2009 5:58:22 PM

kronik2k said:
Tecmo;

Yeah lol I think the side panel on mine looks a mess too at least its hidden away from naked eye lol, time to install Dawn of War 2 r o f l.
BTW you play any games ?
I'm a big Call of Duty & Need for Speed fan|player. I have a group of friends that do a lot of LAN parties of COD4, Quake3 & Counter Strike. Also, I play a little Tiger Woods as well.
July 3, 2009 8:59:50 PM

Oki thanks
July 3, 2009 9:46:04 PM

tecmo34 said:
Quote:
Tecmo34... Im assuming this mobo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/show [...] ubcat=1377 will work with this RAM http://www.overclockers.co.uk/show [...] ubcat=1387 keeping in mind the Volt thing
Yes... the MOBO & RAM will work together. :) 

Quick question Tecmo34, when I install windwos for the the first time and something goes wrong for example if thers some error on the CD, will I be able to start over with another CD, or will my BIOS get corrupted or something like that?
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 3, 2009 10:07:25 PM

No, your BIOS will not be effected by a bad OS install. Just get a good copy of Win7 & do another fresh install of the OS and you will be good to go.
July 3, 2009 10:29:22 PM

tecmo34 said:
No, your BIOS will not be effected by a bad OS install. Just get a good copy of Win7 & do another fresh install of the OS and you will be good to go.

Yea, because if you noticed my other thread I had some trouble burning win7 64bit but I eventully got it and I hope it works
July 4, 2009 9:32:56 AM

kronik2k said:
You got ur pc now ??

Hey kronik2.. have you tried out any other games and what OS are you running

and one more thing could you send me a picture of you monitor and the inside of your case to me =) just curious..... my email krystian9339@live.com
July 4, 2009 9:45:50 AM

tecmo34 said:

Hey tecmo34 one more thing will this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW... be compatible with the rest of my components

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 XXX 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel (OCZ3P13334GK)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (WD5001AALS)
LG GH22NS30 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

edit: and wahts the differance between wireless G and wireless N and I have 10mb broadband from virgin by the way
a c 235 V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 11:31:40 AM

K1ash3r.... The wireless adapter will work with your system. I double checked your MOBO layout to make sure you had an open PCI slot when you go to a Crossfire setup... you are good there as well.

Wireless N is the faster of the two, so stick with it.
July 4, 2009 12:15:08 PM

Thanks Tecmo34 you da man =)
July 4, 2009 1:06:48 PM

tecmo34 said:
I'm a big Call of Duty & Need for Speed fan|player. I have a group of friends that do a lot of LAN parties of COD4, Quake3 & Counter Strike. Also, I play a little Tiger Woods as well.

OO, only play cod on 360... :( 
July 4, 2009 1:11:22 PM

K1ash3r said:
Hey kronik2.. have you tried out any other games and what OS are you running

and one more thing could you send me a picture of you monitor and the inside of your case to me =) just curious..... my email krystian9339@live.com

Warhammer online: Age of reckoning max settings no jitters
DOW2 Max settings no jitters
Sins of a solar empire max settings no jitters

I'm using winxp 64 bit, I'll send u link if u want ? Good OS the guy who made has done lots of editing to OS etc, comes with some good software !

I'll take some pics on my phone + slam em on the internet 4 u !

Currently downloading overlord II, prototype, Civ 4, terminator salvation, transformers game, jus to see what their like, if I like I buy 4 multiplayer
July 4, 2009 1:15:30 PM

Hi. I'm using virgin 10MB connection. I also use G wireless router from Virgin. It's Netgear. And I get somewhere 8-9MB/s speed from it and I get no lag or slutters while gaming. I recommend it.
July 4, 2009 1:19:48 PM

kronik2k said:
OMG pc up + running swiftly lol !

Have a look at comments on the torrent see if anyone else had problems ? Did they ?

Also try another ISO burner, I suggest this as it can burn bootable discs ( so you can install OS on a fresh drive ) ---> http://ImgBurn.com

If you need a good phr33 OS get this its XP 64 bit very good + I'll seed 4 j00 ---> http://www.mininova.org/tor/2672430

Re downloading will help too !

GL BRO !

Tecmo;

BTW you play any games ?

look ^
July 4, 2009 2:46:08 PM

kk, After wasting 9 DVD's I managed to burn my Win7 64bit successfuly... I hope i just dont get any errors or anything when I install it cause if I do Ill be pissed as hell and I wont bother with anything else just gonna go buy vista basic. The reason I dun wanna go with xp cause it doesnt support DX10 or so Iv been told.. so yea

Ordered my PSU and CPU the other day suppose to come on tuesday

The first games Ill probobly try out then I get my rig in one piece is Far Cry2, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, CODWAW, Crysis, Dead Space, Fallout 3, GRID, L4D, GTA4 and Empire Total War.....lol I alredy got them all so I wont have to bother with downloading.
July 5, 2009 6:35:36 PM

umm I cant decide between XFX XXX 4870 and XFX 4870. I know the XXX version is OC'd and suppose to be better but its also cheeper than the normal 4870, so is the XXX versions really better?

kornik2k... still waiting for those pics =)
July 6, 2009 6:08:28 PM

bumb^
July 6, 2009 8:16:51 PM

Yeah ill get on it asap lol, the pictures.

Whats deadspace like ?? Might purchase hehehehe

Let me kno when u get ur pc !
July 6, 2009 8:39:07 PM

Deadspace is awesome expecially when you're alone in the room with the lights off and the volume turnd up.....real scary game that will make you pee in your pants=) Though the monsters poping out get a little repetetive and you kind expect them to drop from the ceiling or pop up from the floor, but still fun and gets your heart pumping. but again Iv played it on my old pc on a 17" with medium settings... so yea

money's gonna get transfered on friday 12am-1am so Im hoping to order as soon as I can, might even stay up all night and order at like 2am cause if I order like friday evening Im gonna have to wait till tuesday for the delivery. So Im planning on getting everything on saturday and sacrificing the whole day on putting it together cause im kinda busy during the week
July 6, 2009 11:15:06 PM

Might have to buy deadspace whats it like online ?
July 6, 2009 11:20:06 PM

umm..unfortuntly its only single player =/

Have you played L4D online cause I was thinking about getting that
!