Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

DVDRW Drive not recognizing discs

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 22, 2011 8:56:36 AM

Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying I have already posted in another forum asking for help on this problem but the few responses I got said that my drive was dead and the only way to fix it was to replace it. I can accept that but I just want to get another opinion before I jump on that. The original post is here - .

Computer Specs -
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model # G73Jh
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz, 1734Mhz
BIOS Version: G73Jh.211 7/27/2010
RAM: 6068Mb
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, 1024 Mb
DVDRW Drive: TSSTCorp CDDVDW TS L633C

The drive can read my burned DVD that I burned with this computer a couple months ago, as well as my restore discs. The restore discs were actually burned by a different computer, the exact same model though. It can also read my Serato installation CD and my Memorex Expressit Label Design CD/DVD (don't know which..) but it will not read any games or DVD movies. I haven't tried any games that are CD's because I don't have any, anymore. I've done everything I can think of. I have completely reformatted my computer, 24/7 ASUS Support suggested that. I actually reformatted it two different ways, once with my backup discs and once with the restore program on the drive. I've tried uninstalling the CDDVD Drive and restarting so the drivers would reinstall. I have updated the firmware. I have gone into the BIOS and restored the factory defaults. I have used Microsoft's Fix It program, which says the drive doesn't recognize the disc inserted. When there is a DVD in the drive and I go into "My Computer" the drive just reads; DVD RW Drive (D:)  Thanks for any help.
a c 93 G Storage
March 22, 2011 1:07:36 PM

What you are seeing is the result of a defective or dirty optical drive. You can try to clean the drive (blow out with canned air, run a cleaner CD/DVD, then blow out again) to see if that helps. Otherwise, you need a new optical drive.

Also, keep in mind that DVD-RWs actually use 2 different lasers (keeping this simple) as different wavelengths are used for CDs and DVDs (not going into the burning process at all). Sounds like one is working (sort of) and the other is not.

Cleaning is not likely to solve the problem and a replacement is your only likely recourse.

Good luck!
Score
0
March 22, 2011 2:22:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and explaining it a little. I guess I'll have to invest in another drive, yay!..
Score
0
Related resources
a c 93 G Storage
March 22, 2011 3:07:42 PM

Sprees said:
Thanks for the quick reply and explaining it a little. I guess I'll have to invest in another drive, yay!..

The good thing is that they are widely available and inexpensive. Installing takes minutes. Good luck and have fun!
Score
0
January 11, 2012 9:53:04 AM

Sprees said:
Hey guys, I just want to start off by saying I have already posted in another forum asking for help on this problem but the few responses I got said that my drive was dead and the only way to fix it was to replace it. I can accept that but I just want to get another opinion before I jump on that. The original post is here - .

Computer Specs -
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model # G73Jh
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz, 1734Mhz
BIOS Version: G73Jh.211 7/27/2010
RAM: 6068Mb
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, 1024 Mb
DVDRW Drive: TSSTCorp CDDVDW TS L633C

The drive can read my burned DVD that I burned with this computer a couple months ago, as well as my restore discs. The restore discs were actually burned by a different computer, the exact same model though. It can also read my Serato installation CD and my Memorex Expressit Label Design CD/DVD (don't know which..) but it will not read any games or DVD movies. I haven't tried any games that are CD's because I don't have any, anymore. I've done everything I can think of. I have completely reformatted my computer, 24/7 ASUS Support suggested that. I actually reformatted it two different ways, once with my backup discs and once with the restore program on the drive. I've tried uninstalling the CDDVD Drive and restarting so the drivers would reinstall. I have updated the firmware. I have gone into the BIOS and restored the factory defaults. I have used Microsoft's Fix It program, which says the drive doesn't recognize the disc inserted. When there is a DVD in the drive and I go into "My Computer" the drive just reads; DVD RW Drive (D:)  Thanks for any help.



I did a repplace cd/dvd writer and it would not read dvd+r's. I uninstalled Nero then did the update fix for hp dvd player. Now it reads even using window 7. I am burning a dvd at this moment.
Score
0
January 11, 2012 9:57:45 AM

COLGeek said:
The good thing is that they are widely available and inexpensive. Installing takes minutes. Good luck and have fun!


I replace a cd/dvd write on my hp. It would not read and make loud noises when I tried to put in a dvd+r.
The way I got it to work was uninstall Nero and then did a update fix for the HP DVD Player.
Now I can read and write with no problems using window 7
Score
0
a b G Storage
January 11, 2012 11:06:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
0
!