Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP Hard Drive not showing in Disk Management

Last response: in Storage
March 22, 2011 9:16:53 AM

Please please help! I'm about to throw my computer off a bridge!!!! I just bought a 1 TB hard drive SATA, as the 160GB IDE was completely full, so I installed it correctly (triple checked that), then I went into disk management & it's not showing...so I can't initialize it...Please help! I would greatly appreciate it :wahoo: 

March 22, 2011 10:44:25 AM

Is it showing up in Device manager? In the machines BIOS?
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
March 22, 2011 1:11:45 PM

If the computer has an old 160 gig drive, chances are it is a SATA 1.5 controller onboard.

This said, sata 3(like most 1tb drives) and 6(why, ohh why with mechanical drives) drives sometimes have a jumper to make them work on 1.5 mode.

I had some drives that needed this jumper setting to be used on my old K8V SE board.

List the drive and I can tell you if it has this jumper. Some newer drives are not shipping with this jumper option, and that sucks...if it comes to that, you may require a controller card or a different drive(lets hope not).
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 9:31:45 PM

Thanks for your reply...Yes it's in Device Manager :) 
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:34:14 PM

nukemaster said:
If the computer has an old 160 gig drive, chances are it is a SATA 1.5 controller onboard.

This said, sata 3(like most 1tb drives) and 6(why, ohh why with mechanical drives) drives sometimes have a jumper to make them work on 1.5 mode.

I had some drives that needed this jumper setting to be used on my old K8V SE board.

List the drive and I can tell you if it has this jumper. Some newer drives are not shipping with this jumper option, and that sucks...if it comes to that, you may require a controller card or a different drive(lets hope not).

Hi, Thanks for your reply...all I know is that it's a WD 1 TB Hard Drive...I don't know anything about this side of computers...so it's really confusing.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
March 22, 2011 11:18:18 PM

You may need to install a jumper over pins 5 & 6 (OPT1).

Jumper Settings for WD SATA and EIDE Hard Drives:
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

"OPT1: 150 MB/s data transfer speed enabled or disabled. Default
setting is disabled. To enable 150 MB/s data transfer speed, place a
jumper on pins 5–6."
m
l
March 29, 2011 9:28:48 AM

Thanks for everyones replies & help etc...I just took it to the Computer Doctor & paid someone to make it all better for me!! LOL...It's a lot less stressful that way...Cheers :) 
m
l
March 29, 2011 9:31:21 AM

Ammy21 said:
Please please help! I'm about to throw my computer off a bridge!!!! I just bought a 1 TB hard drive SATA, as the 160GB IDE was completely full, so I installed it correctly (triple checked that), then I went into disk management & it's not showing...so I can't initialize it...Please help! I would greatly appreciate it :wahoo: 

Thanks for everyones replies & help etc...I just took it to the Computer Doctor & paid someone to make it all better for me!! LOL...It's a lot less stressful that way...Cheers :) 
m
l
!