PLEASE HELP Hard Drive not showing in Disk Management

Ammy21

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Please please help! I'm about to throw my computer off a bridge!!!! I just bought a 1 TB hard drive SATA, as the 160GB IDE was completely full, so I installed it correctly (triple checked that), then I went into disk management & it's not showing...so I can't initialize it...Please help! I would greatly appreciate it :wahoo:

If the computer has an old 160 gig drive, chances are it is a SATA 1.5 controller onboard.

This said, sata 3(like most 1tb drives) and 6(why, ohh why with mechanical drives) drives sometimes have a jumper to make them work on 1.5 mode.

I had some drives that needed this jumper setting to be used on my old K8V SE board.

List the drive and I can tell you if it has this jumper. Some newer drives are not shipping with this jumper option, and that sucks...if it comes to that, you may require a controller card or a different drive(lets hope not).

Ammy21

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Hi, Thanks for your reply...all I know is that it's a WD 1 TB Hard Drive...I don't know anything about this side of computers...so it's really confusing.

Ammy21

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for everyones replies & help etc...I just took it to the Computer Doctor & paid someone to make it all better for me!! LOL...It's a lot less stressful that way...Cheers :)

Ammy21

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks for everyones replies & help etc...I just took it to the Computer Doctor & paid someone to make it all better for me!! LOL...It's a lot less stressful that way...Cheers :)