CPUID Hardware Monitor says 121c

Here's a screenshot =
1gncko.jpg

abit fatal1ty fp-in9 sli (nvidia 650i chipset)
Intel Pentium D 820 (stock)
2gb OZC Reaper ddr2 @ 800mhz - 4-4-4-12, 1T
gtx 260
maxtor sata ii 160gb hdd

Just decided to rebuild this system again (was stowed away) for basic web-browsing /e-mail. There's a 260 in it but thats because neither of my old 7900 gt's work anymore.

Nothing is overclocked yet, and everything is at stock voltages (auto) except the ram which specifies 2.1v, and even at this slow speed seems to demand it.

Originally put it together but noticed the northbridge heatsink/fan (aftermarket thermaltake nb cooler) was hot enough to fry an egg. So I took that off and cleaned it up with fresh artic silver 5. Those temperatures appear to be manageable now.

I'm looking at CPUID's Hardware Monitor Pro and seeing under "Temperatures" heading, that THRM is registering 121 degrees celsius. I'm not even sure what that is, as I can easily recognize the other 3 as being sys, cpu, and aux temps.

Personally I'm leaning toward this temperature being completely innacurate but that assumption is only based on the fact that HWMonitor thinkgs my +12 volts is 8.53v which is dead wrong. According to my other monitor, it is actually 11.91v. That other monitor however does not include a reading for this "THRM" temp as HWMonitor calls it.

What do you all think?

Solution
Your CPU and other temps look normal, so I'd be inclined to ignore the THRM temp if the hand test doesn't indicate anything strange is going on.

Have you baked your 7900 GT's? I'd be surprised if that didn't fix one of the two.
Testing air temps by hand, there is cool air exhausting out the case fan, warm air out the psu, cool air from the cpu cooler, and the nb fan/heatsink is not hot to the touch. The warmest air is swirling around behind the psu in between it and the top bay optical drive but its still closer to warm than hot.

Your CPU and other temps look normal, so I'd be inclined to ignore the THRM temp if the hand test doesn't indicate anything strange is going on.

Have you baked your 7900 GT's? I'd be surprised if that didn't fix one of the two.

Solution
I've been thinking about it the last few days actually. Seperately, they do fire up but say you go into BIOS, most of the text is illegible and there's a rainbow of colored alpha-numeric gibberish all over the place. I think they're both candidates if for nothing else than the experience.

I dug up my old 3dfx pci card too. lol i had super-glued a pentium cpu heatsink/fan to the chip. I think its a 2000. I might play with that too, and I think a 3dfx chip keyring is way cooler than a nvida one.

Wow! 3dfx. I wanted one of those Voodoo cards back in '99. If it still works, it can be handy to have a PCI card to troubleshoot PCI-e slots and PCI-e cards.

My 7950 GT did things similar to your 7900 GT's. It would work for brief periods off and on for months, then stopped outputting video altogether, but would spin up. I ended up getting a GTS 250 and two years later found out I could bake it--about 1 hour of work and it was back from the dead! I can't guarantee it will work (I'm 3 for 3). But it doesn't hurt to put a paperweight in the oven.

8 to 10 minutes at 380 'F or so and redo it two or three times after letting it cool. That should be adequate to reflow the solder and fix microfractures in it. Any longer than 10 minute intervals tends to heavily damage the capacitors.