Sign in with
Your question

PHENOM II 965--IS THIS COOL AND QUIET OR MOTHERBOARD ISSUE??

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2009 5:45:24 PM

URGENT HELP NEEDED REGARDING PHENOM II 965 AND MOTHERBOARD ISSUE - - - IS IT AMD COOL N QUIET CAUSING THE PROBLEM????

hey i really need someones help on here. I have recently built my brand new computer with a phenom II 965 3.4ghz processor, on a gigabyte GAM720-US3 motherboard.

I ordered my build from lambdatek.co.uk and it said these to components were compatible with each other however when i turned my comp on for the 1st time i noticed how the phenom HAD BEEN DOWNCLOCKED TO 1.6GHZ.
I looked on the gigabyte website for this board however to my dissatisfaction my phenom 965 was not listed in the cpu support list, however the phenom II 955 3.2ghz was.

I THEN UPPED THE CLOCK SPEED IN THE BIOS TO 3.4GHZ (WHAT IT SHOULD BE) AND THE COMPUTER THEN TURNED ITSELF OFF AND NOW WILL NOT BOOT AT ALL. I TRIED TO RESET MY BIOS BUT FOR SOME REASON COULDNT (SHOULD I BOTHER TRYING AGAIN??)

Please can someone tell me if this is a compatibility issue or not, or whether it is AMD COOL N QUIET.

i now CANNOT GET PAST POST AND THERE IS NO SIGNAL TO MY MONITOR.
BIOS BEEPS ARE NON EXISTENT, yet case fans etc and psu appear to be on, however COMPUTER OCCASIONALY RESTARTS A FEW TIMES on power on :S:S:S:S:S.

NOTE: THE SYSTEM DID ORIGINALLY BOOT AND WORK HOWEVER THE CPU WAS RUNNING AT 1.6GHZ, ALSO RAM HAD BEEN CLOCKED DOWN TO 800MHZ

4gb (2x2gb) ocz blade 1150mhz
650w antec earthwatts
asus radeon hd 4870 1gb ddr5
wdc black 500gb
lite on dvd/rw

I AM WONDERING IF IT IS AMD COOL AND QUIET WHICH IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM AS I HAVE HEARD THAT THIS DOWNLCLOCKS YOUR PROCESSOR. I WAS AT THE DESKTOP WHEN I CHECKED THE CURRENT SPEED (HOWEVER THE COMPUTER SEEMED ABIT LAGGY ANYWAY SO IM NOT SURE IT WAS COOL N QUIET)

I have purchased another mobo now hoping this will fix all my issues. This being the asus m4a78 pro which apparently is compatible (i notied the m4a78-e mobo just after i ordered it :@:@)

the links to the motherboards are below, the gigabyte being the one that "doesnt work"?? and the asus being the one i have purchased and am hoping to put the components onto in a bid to get the system to work.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] uctID=3006

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] uctID=3006

October 1, 2009 6:12:46 PM

It claims to support AM3 CPUs and 140W CPUs so should work, however with AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboards you're better off going for an AMD chipset, they are very good and more common than nVidia with those sockets so easier to support.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2009 7:17:43 PM

so any suggestions why what happened happened?
thx
November 2, 2009 10:23:24 AM

What he said......., plus did you update the BIOS on the Gigabyte board?

Most modern boards have a system info/CPU details page in the BIOS where you can check the CPU specifactions, so you can always look there to see if it is recognising the CPU properly.
!