Sign in with
Your question

P55 Extreme On-Board USB Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
December 26, 2009 12:24:12 AM

I just built this desktop a week or so ago, and I've noticed some problems when running peripherals on my on-board USB ports. It seems that the problem occurs whenever 2 are running at the same time, such as my dual band wireless N USB and syncing my iPhone. Either one will work, while the other fails, or neither will work. And to make matters worse, instead of just failing, it turns the device on and off, on and off. This problem hasn't really happened with my USB keyboard and mouse however. I've updated the BIOS and also searched for any kind of on-board USB driver for this mobo without any success.

Here's what I'm running:

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel Core i5 750 - socket 1156 LGA
ASRock P55 Extreme
BIOS - American Megatrends Inc. Version P1.80 (10/30/2009)
2x2 GB Corsair DDR3 PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Is there anymore information yall need?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
January 11, 2010 9:05:08 PM

I've got the same problem. No solution yet.
m
l
February 18, 2010 6:06:18 PM

I've seen that the latest BIOS for your board is 1.80 on ASRock website,but with the 11/19/2009 date :

Fixes :

1. Add XMP OC support.
2. Change SETUP item 'Suspend To RAM' default = 'Auto'.

Try this one first and if it does not fix a thing try this other one :

http://rapidshare.com/files/32599444...X_17E.zip.html
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2010 9:04:45 PM

Try changing the USB jumper position on the motherboard as +5V (and not +5VSB) :
m
l
September 4, 2010 11:43:47 PM

I had similar trouble to the OP, with a USB mouse seemingly dropping signal every 10 seconds or so, and a USB portable hard drive that just power cycled on and off when it was connected to the comp, and no indication in Windows 7 that it was plugged in.

I updated the bios as suggested, to no avail, and fiddled with the USB configuration settings in the BIOS as well (with no luck there either).

I switched the jumper as suggested by CL3M, and after booting up the portable hard drive started working right away. Windows 7 finally recognized it, and I was able to access the files on it without a problem.

The mouse is still behaving erratically, and it works fine with my other computers so I'm still investigating that, but getting the hard drive working was a huge win.

Thanks for the tip on the jumper!
m
l
September 5, 2010 12:12:49 AM

I spoke too soon, the hard drive is recognized by Windows but now has the same issue as the mouse, where it seems to drop connection intermittently.

For example, if I'm copying files from or to the disk the file transfer might stop suddenly, and only some of the files transferred.
m
l
November 23, 2010 8:04:06 AM

I had the same problem on a Asrock P55 pro/usb3 mobo, got some improvement by switching the jumpers as suggested by CL3M, but still had problems with my external harddrive.

Fix that worked for me:
set "USB 2.0 rate matching hub" to disabled in the bios
m
l
!