Sign in with
Your question

Power suppy question

Last response: in Components
October 1, 2009 5:48:35 PM

Hi everyone

I have a older computer and am wanting to switch out the power supply from a 300 w to a 35 or 380w

it has a 12 pin and a 4 pin connection on the board but i want to upgrade the psu and get a psu that can support dual 4 pin connections to upgrade the graghics card

system runs great now but just want the boost in watts to over come the new graphics card

run down on selecting a new psu

do i need to match the amps of the psu to the board some psus put out diffrent amps at dif watrs

eg.. 350 w at dif amps for drif connections from dif manfactures match those to the mobo requirments ?

or just calculate the watts needed then get a psu a touch over its requirements
when selecting a psu

seam to be geting difrent answers from diffrent people

More about : power suppy question

a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2009 8:01:36 PM

Check the power supply label. You need a total of 40 amps or more on all the 12v rails combined (add them all together). If possible, lift up the ps; it should weigh 3.5-5 lbs. Lightweight units use cheaper components. I like antec, enermax, pc power and cooling, seasonic, ocz, and corsair.
a c 80 ) Power supply
October 1, 2009 10:28:17 PM

I mostly agress with oldie, but you don't really need more then 30A on the 12V rail unless you want to go CF/SLI. This means any quality 400+ PSU will be all you need. Most people buy a PSU based of the connections they need, and the CPU + GPU they will be running. If your motherboard will be using a 24pin ATX bundle as well as an 8pin aux, then get a PSU that supports that. If your running two GTX280 video cards in SLI, get one with enough 6pin PCIe connectors, and enough watts/amps to run both cards together.
October 2, 2009 12:18:34 PM

+1 for Antec - I have never had one of their PSUs fail on me.
!