Sign in with
Your question

OVERCLOCKING ATI 6950 1GB

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2011 10:42:41 PM

I HAVE SET THE PCIE FREQUENCY TO 110......AND WHEN I OVERCLOCK MY ATI 6950 TO ITS LIMIT GAMES CRASHES AFTER SEVERAL MINUTES OF PLAYTIME WHILE AT STOCK CLOCKS IT RUNS PERFECTLY.....AFTER OCING IT GENERATES BLUE SCREEN ERROR AND A MESSAGE POPS UP THAT DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED WORKING.

IS THIS 'CAUSE OF INCREASING THE PCIE FREQUENCY OR ITS A GRAPHICS CARD ISSUE?

MY RIG
ASUS P5G41T MLX3
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB@1500MHZ
Q9550@3.19GHZ
SAPHIRE ATI 6950 1GB VAPOUR X
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2011 12:39:54 AM

You don't want to oc you pcie slot. You want to oc your gpu. Try the performance option in catalyst control panel. You can also use afterburner from msi to oc it.
m
l
July 8, 2011 5:01:03 AM

thanx,but i was reffering to a guide while overclocking my cpu which said that i should set the pcie frequency to 110mhz,so i did......
the problem is that i am getting a stable system without overclocking the gpu from catalyst control panel...but when i overclock my gpu using catalyst control panel my game(crysis 2) crashes generating blue screen.
so i was wondering that whats causing the problem,pcie frequency or the ccc? ocing
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2011 10:00:24 PM

dethadder said:
thanx,but i was reffering to a guide while overclocking my cpu which said that i should set the pcie frequency to 110mhz,so i did......
the problem is that i am getting a stable system without overclocking the gpu from catalyst control panel...but when i overclock my gpu using catalyst control panel my game(crysis 2) crashes generating blue screen.
so i was wondering that whats causing the problem,pcie frequency or the ccc? ocing

The answer is simple.Reduce your pci e frequency to 100 or 101 mhz and try stability testing once more.If you have the same issue,then it wasn't the problem.You should let it at 100mhz though as a higher frequency can potentially mess up the sata controller and/or destroy your pci e slots.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2011 3:19:52 AM

What guide are you using that suggests that? PCIe should be 100, PCI should be 33.
m
l
!