Upgrade now or later?

My system is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASRock X38TurboTwins LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

(PSU not a problem/won't be upgrading)

I could upgrade by the end of the summer with 600 dollars, or wait until the end of next summer and have about 1200 dollars. I"m kind of leaning towards next summer, because I'm happy with my system, but any advice/opinions would be welcome.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade later
  1. I would definitely wait until next summer.
    You have a pretty nice rig now, unless you are doing really intensive use, you won't need more power
  2. Agreed. E8400 / 4870 combo is the sweet spot in performance atm (as you might know) and if you waited you'll be able to jump on the DX11 train, you'll be glad you did.
  3. Yes, Grasshopper...patience is a virtue, with double the money you will either get some great deals on todays hardware or get to jump onboard something new and hot!
  4. I"m liking all your guys' thinking.... do you think I should be thinking about i7 next summer?
  5. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too soon to think about it.
    Everything will have drastically changed by then.

    Just be happy with what you have now, when you feel it is the right time to upgrade then do.
  6. According to tic-toc, Intel would have something more powerful than i7 next summer.
  7. If you're happy with your system, as you say, there's no reason to upgrade now. If it's the urge to build (been gnawing on me too lately!), perhaps you have a family member or friend who would appreciate your building a system for them.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Intel Systems