Not recongizing all avaliable RAM

tikershi

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi, I have just upgraded from windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. I have 2x2GB DDRIII RAM from Corsair. I understand that Windows Vista was unable to use all 4GBs of the RAM, but why does Windows 7 not recongize all of it? Out of the 4GBs I have, it is only recongizing 2.99GBs. Because I didn't do clean install of windows 7( I did an upgrade) I did not find any new drivers execpt for a driver for the graphics card and a driver for the chipset. What do I need to do? Is it normal that it doesn't recongize all of it? Or is there some driver I need to update?

tikershi

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ahh looks like I been looking at the wrong info. It says supports maximum of 192GBs of physical memory but I did not read the small letters saying only in 64 bit. Damn, I knew I shouldn't of taken the easy way out by upgrading the 32 bit instead of doing clean install if 64 bit.

tikershi

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I upgraded from XP to vista then from vista to 7 without any problems. Only problem was before I got windows 7, every time I reformat I gotta get xp and then upgrade to vista so I got full install version for windows 7

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Man W7 is just plain awesome.
I went with all 3, Home64 pro 64 and still running ultimate RC64 from a year ago.

Only bad thing is im gonna have to re-install my ultimate RC here in like june
i think. i,ll put W7 pro on it.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
TikerShi,

Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7
For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee150430.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

tikershi

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
thank you for the information. I realize that there is no upgrade option. I was running on 32bit so i had change to 64 bit so i was going to have to do a clean install anyways.

I am already finished installing it.