Your question

Can you upgrade PSU in Dell xps 420?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 1, 2009 8:27:24 PM

If so, what kind of power supply do I need to get to upgrade the default PSU in my Dell XPS 420?

Can it even be replaced with a newer one?

Thanks!

More about : upgrade psu dell xps 420

a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2009 8:34:23 PM

yes it can but what do you wanna add that will take more power?
m
l
October 1, 2009 8:52:16 PM

a better video card
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2009 9:28:36 PM

budget range for psu?
m
l
October 1, 2009 10:17:42 PM

no budget. just looking for specific. is it a btx atx? what should I get? I want at least 600w
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:03:41 AM

dippindivin said:
no budget. just looking for specific. is it a btx atx? what should I get? I want at least 600w

I have to assume you have eyes since you're reading this, though you could have someone reading it for you. Most modern Dell's use standard ATX power supplies, but you'd be able to SEE if it was oddly sized.

I'd go to a big seller like Newegg and buy a good name brand power supply, like Corsair's 650W, and stick it in. That is, unless something looks wrong about the way it's going to fit.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:08:31 AM

Dell USED to change the pin outs on their power supplies, not sure if they still do, worth checking out though.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:45:01 AM

gregor said:
Dell USED to change the pin outs on their power supplies, not sure if they still do, worth checking out though.

We're not building Pentium III's any more.
m
l
October 2, 2009 8:37:39 AM

A P3 based machine was the last Dell machine I had to replace the PSU, which is why I said used to.
Good to hear they use standard PSU's now.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:15:58 PM

Before replacing the power supply, I would go to the Dell website and see the which video cards you could order installed on the XPS/Vostro 420. You may find that the card you want to install (or one with a similar TDP) is supported on the stock PSU.

In general, Dell PSU is rated on the MEAN power rather than the MAX, and as such, they can power bigger cards than you might think. For instance, my old XPS 400 had a 325W PSU, but would have no problems powering the GeForce 7900GTX.
m
l
October 2, 2009 8:40:22 PM

gregor said:
A P3 based machine was the last Dell machine I had to replace the PSU, which is why I said used to.
Good to hear they use standard PSU's now.

Dell still has an oddball workstation power supply they used in some of their super-high-end gaming machines, but it has entirely different connectors so it can't be confused with the standard parts they now use in other machines.
m
l
!