10 nf-p12's in an atcs 840?

aceofspades

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I'm building a system with an i7 920, p6t deluxe v2, w/ gtx 275 ftw sli, w/ slight overclock.

I was thinking about doing the following:

Replacing the top 2 stock exhaust fans with 3 120mm fans, installing two 120mm behind the hdd rack, one 120mm on the bottom for intake, replacing the stock 120mm exhaust fan in the rear, a push/pull setup on my prolimatech megahalems cpu cooler with two 120mm's, install a 120mm on the rear external air duct for the gpu's. I'm thinking of using all nf-p12's for low noise, despite the fact that they're more expensive than other fans.
Also, I'm wondering if I did go ahead with all those fans, if I would need extra power connectors or some
thing in order to power them all. I've never tried to provide power to so many case fans. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks!

r_manic

Administrator
Why don't you see how your temperatures hold out under "slight overclock[ing]", before investing in third-party cooling? Who knows, you might be staying below the dreaded 80C threshold with what you already have.

What case are you using btw?

aceofspades

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Well, I'm buying more fans based on the experiences of other owners of the case that I bought, the ATCS 840 from CoolerMaster. It seems like the airflow in the case isn't ideal stock, so they tend to make some mods to keep temperatures down a little. I know for sure that I'm going to want to get at least a couple of nf-p12's for the push/pull setup on the megahalems cooler that I'm getting, and that I'll need a few more fans here and there, so to save on shipping and time/money trying out other fans, I might as well just get all the fans I may need in one shot and get it over with.
At this point all the other parts are on the way, and I just need some fans for my build. It seems there are a lot of opinions on fans, not necessarily much consensus on what is the best. Some of it is subjective as far as noise perception and what tones you find annoying etc., while others are looking for a certain rpm range, and a certain level of cfm's, price considerations are a factor as well etc, etc. <sigh> It's been tiring thinking about and researching fans for my air cooling solution. :p