Question about Future Graphic cards

elo820

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, First time here on the forums.

I had a question about upgrading graphics cards. Say I wanted to build an i7 like from now till September. There are the Dx11 cards coming out soon maybe by October. What should I do? Wait to build a system around October? Should I even care about dx11? Thanks

elo820

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
what are the benefits anyway? when people are saying to buy one graphics card and save for the new one 5xxx how would that even be compatible with the 4xxx series, unless they mean something else? thanks for the reply !

Well newer cards are usually faster/better than the last ones so on that alone it would be worth waiting in my opinion.
DX 11 will see benefits for cards from DX10 upwards, dont know what exactly yet. DX11 Games that take full advantage of the new DX will be a while coming but as i said earlier its worth waiting to see whats what im my opinion.

Mactronix

Whats the i7 got to do with it ? You said your building using an i7 and asked about DX11, my advise is to wait and see what it gives in terms of performance :)
You are getting a DO stepping 920 right ? ;)
Although i dont think they are the monster CPU people think they are where gaming is concerned, sure when multi threading starts to be used properly your in the driving seat but right now in Crysis with everything on high the FPS are identical between a Phenom 2 X4 995 black edition and a 920 DO according to the PC Format magazine in front of me. Everything else aside it kicks but big time but games not so much, wonder what numbers an OCed 8600 would put up against it ?

Mactronix

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Wait, if only for the lower prices on current cards. If you aren't going to have something completed until then it makes little sense to lock yourself into a card or price point which could be a terrible value at the time.

AMD will be rocking those cards by October so be ready.

ATI has already produced at 40nm. ATI's chips are smaller than nVidias, which makes them easier (usually) to produce, new node or not. Having more transistors means having more potential problems, redundancy included.
Everything Ive heard is ATI is doing fine, TSMC is doing fine, nVidia is having a lil trouble, and they started later

elo820

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
last question. Would the new 5xxx or gtx 3xxx cards be the same price as the current cards now? Will they be able to fit in current motherboards? Would it be a good idea to just buy a decent graphics cards like a gtx 260 right now and wait for the new ones when it drops prices? I dont know how pricing would be. only thing that is keeping me back from building a system right now..