I7-2600K - Best settings for 5.5 or 6.0GHz?

Solution
I concur with RJR and Leaps-from-Shadows.

Reaching 5.5G would itself take some remarkable cooling but 6.0G is extreme and reaching that even with the extreme cooling solution it would take, would probably be a one shot deal, damaging the CPU in the process.

Someone told me that I could get an easy 5GHz with that CPU cooler.

5Ghz is definitely possible even 24/7 but there's nothing easy about getting 5Ghz rock solid enough to be comfortable running it 24/7 with the voltage it takes to get there.

Some claim 5.0Ghz just because they got there and were able to get a CPU-Z validation, however getting stress stable and having it rock solid is quite a different story.

You cannot believe everything you're told on the internet unless...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I suggest you do a little research on overclocking first before attempting to play around at OC's like that. The voltage required will be too much for conventional cooling solutions at that frequency.

The likelihood of you getting 5.0GHz from a Sandy Bridge CPU is very small, something like 1% or less.

The likelihood of you getting 5.5GHz is as close to zero as you can get without actually being zero.

Don't even bother dreaming about getting 6.0GHz -- you would need cherry-picked components and exotic cooling.

A more realistic everyday overclock for a Sandy Bridge CPU is somewhere between 4.5GHz and 5.0GHz.

The H50-H80 coolers only cool about as well as the top "big air" coolers. The new H100 goes a little bit beyond that with a 240 radiator.

The cooler you choose won't make it any easier to get 5.0GHz. I got 4.8GHz with mine on "big air" and switching to a water cooling system with a 360 radiator and three 120mm fans didn't allow me to get any higher. All it did was lower the load temps at 4.8GHz.

Your best bet even with the H100 is still somewhere between 4.5GHz and 5.0GHz overclocked speed.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
You can run at 5.0 Ghz 24/7 with "custom water cooling" but your voltage WILL be beyond what I would be comfortable with 24/7.

Here is with a custom 360 rad and heat killer block only cooling the cpu. It's only a few minutes of prime so I would guess low 70's if I kept it running, but like I said the voltage is more than I like, especially when running prime or extended periods.

35446835.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I concur with RJR and Leaps-from-Shadows.

Reaching 5.5G would itself take some remarkable cooling but 6.0G is extreme and reaching that even with the extreme cooling solution it would take, would probably be a one shot deal, damaging the CPU in the process.

Someone told me that I could get an easy 5GHz with that CPU cooler.

5Ghz is definitely possible even 24/7 but there's nothing easy about getting 5Ghz rock solid enough to be comfortable running it 24/7 with the voltage it takes to get there.

Some claim 5.0Ghz just because they got there and were able to get a CPU-Z validation, however getting stress stable and having it rock solid is quite a different story.

You cannot believe everything you're told on the internet unless it's backed with facts the 5.1G CPU-Z in my sig is not Prime95 Stable, it's a hey it's possible to get there.

5G1hrP953DM06.jpg

Win764P951hr3DMV50G.png

Both of these at 5.0Ghz are 1hr Prime95 stable in WinXP 32bit and Win7 64bit, plus benches thrown in for good measure.

However look at the voltages!

Intel tested the Sandy Bridge to 1.520v, just how far past that are you willing to go, none of us want to destroy what we have, once you get yours in hand to actually put to the test, you should realize that. Ryan

Solution