Sign in with
Your question

Good to go ?

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2009 10:08:39 AM

Hi everyone out there.. i read tom's hardware a lot n finally decided to sign up... :p 

I made a list of hardware im looking forward to buy soon enough... wanted ur reviews/suggestions on it..

The hardware listed below (please if u suggest any other hardware do have some links to your research, would be nice) ~

LCD ` BenQ E2400HD (*2)
GFX ` MSi N285GTX SuperPipe 2G OC (*3)
CPU ` Intel Core i7 965 Extreme
Mobo ` Msi Eclipse SLi / Asus Rampage II Extreme (*?)
PSU ` CM 1250W Modular Type
Chassis ` CM Cosmos S
RAM ` Corsair Dominator GT (*?)
Cooling ` Im very confused about the cooling.. setup weather liquid cooling or air ? (really wanna debate a lil bit on this one!)

My Budget is 350000 INR (Indian Rupee).

This is what my list says so far... i would be going for 3way SLi, still thinking how much RAM would i need 6 / 12 GB !!?! and confused between the motherboards... :??: 

My usage would be for 3d animation & rendering (softwares like autodesk maya/max/mudbox, adobe after effect/premiere, zbrush, etc... expands as i learn :D ) and im up for some hardcore gaming aswell... i would be having 2 of those LCD's each for my xbox 360 aswell as the ps3..

Feel free to drop in any kind of suggestions/review on the hardware.. ;) 

More about : good

July 1, 2009 10:19:22 AM

Some nice hardware ^ IMO, I'd drop the 965 and go for the 920 with DO stepping, spending the $700 (sorry, not sure in INR) on extra monitors, maybe even a mid range water cooling system so there would be a lot of overclocking headeroom.pi
July 1, 2009 10:25:51 AM

From a quick calculation your budget comes to over $7,000 US. That is quite a budget! Most here will advise you to spend considerably less than that now and save the rest for a rig 2-3 years down the road! Unless your prices are crazy higher than over here, spending more than $3,000 at any one time usually isn't worth the price premium.

For that budget look at something like this:

i7 920 - if you will be cooling anyway you can always OC to 965 speeds
The Rampage II extreme is great
3 GTX 285's should really only be used on 30" monitors; 2 285's would be fine.
Because of the above a quality 850W PSU would be fine. Think Corsair, Antec, PC Power and Cooling
That is a fine chassis, it's really personal preference. I'm sure others will have suggestions.
RAM - 6GB of low latency DDR3 1600 MHz look for OCZ, GSkill, Corsair
Cooling - if you want to stick to air look for a Xigmatek S1283, Scythe Mugen 2, TRUE, Coolermaster V8 (whichever is available and cheapest in India)
if you want water cooling you will need someones help other than mine.
Related resources
July 1, 2009 10:36:11 AM

hi there Goony20, the i7 920 here is priced for INR 14600 and i7 965 is just recently launched with a price of INR 56000...

About the cooling liquid cooling is not having a huge range to pick from in here... we have Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Plus Cooling Kit available here.. and Coolermaster Aquagate Max ( which has no 1366 bracket) + Swiftech Apogee GTZ Ci7 would work ? these are the only dedicated cpy liquid cooling option available here in india... as far i know..

Aircooling we have Coolermaster V8 (no idea when the v10 coming here) / Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer 120mm CPU Cooler...

those are the best cooling setup we can get here as far i know... both liquid/air.

*** Any clues with how long nowdays high end rig might last.. ? :p  i mean i used my current machine for over 4 years with very minor upgrades.. its pretty old now n i face hardtime with my current usage (the softwares & games).
July 1, 2009 11:04:32 AM

overkill... u dont need that. get a phenom2 build with like 2 4890s and a PII 965. you can donate some money to poor places in india, pls do not take this as a offense, because human eye cannot detect higher frame rates after 35 fps, OVERKILL.

BTW in 2 month when ATI hd-5000 comes out ur rig will be really weak and a comp priced half as that will beat it in bencmarks.

The best bang for buck for gaming is prob samsung p2370. I have a comp and a xbox360 and i have samung t240 monitor which has a hdmi and dvi cables, and it also features a audio 3.5mm output slot for u to plug a long head set or a good audio system.

for good cooling solution get a air conditioner which keeps the gaming room with2 consoles cool. cheapest and easiet lol :D 
July 1, 2009 11:19:49 AM

im not offended :p  lol

but the fact is if u go out to donate ull tend to come on streets yourself sooner or later... im not a rich bitch mate just waited a very long time to invest in the rig to do my animation stuff + gaming :D 

So, i better not take that advice.... xD

Getting back to the topic.. those displays are nice but not launched here yet... n im a nvidia lover.. so ill never deny the fact nvidia overkills ati everytime ati tries to pawn them.... hehe ati 5000 series would take come like 6-8months later than the actual release date... n amd is dead aswell tho i was and still am a amd lover but cant deny the fact that intel ruling the market now... n ati+amd thingy is sad.. the pc is more for rendering n work than just pure gaming madness, lol.

But thx for the suggestions.. definately buying an AC !! LOL its damn hot for humans the poor thing will die ;P
July 2, 2009 8:49:45 AM

damn no more response... :S
July 2, 2009 2:05:17 PM

Good God , 350000 rupees.. Good. Where do you live? I am in Mumbai.

So, I kknow you might be aware of this, but DX 11 cards are going to be launched soon. Even 2 x GTX 285 would be a waste of money as DX 11 games wont run any faster on them than , say, GTX 360 sli, which would be much cheaper to upgrade to if you stick to one GTX 285 for now. For your monitor, seriously, GTX 285 is an overkill (except for crysis and GTA 4). I have a 4870 1 GB and I can run Far cry 2 at 1920 x 1080 4x AA with an average of 50 FPS. Any other game with an average of 75 FPS. Crysis and GTA 4 are different stories though. and I have a AMD x3 720 BE which is no comparison to i7.

Also, i7 920 can be overclocked to some insane speeds and is the best bang for buck. 965 does not offer anuthing new except higher clock speeds and an unlocked multiplier. Pair it with a good cooler and you are good to go.

Now, I assume you know all the stuff that I said, so if you want you can still go ahead with the configuration.

On a side note, samsung T240 are avaiable in India. You have to look for them in malls and electronic stores though. EXCELLENT monitors. Go see them on the display and you will see what I mean. Otherwise, get a samsung 2233 SW. 16:9 aspect ratio with 1920x1080 resolution. Not sure if 24" is available or not. But, seriously samsung is the way to go when it comes to monitors. I really dont understand why alot of people in India are going for Benq 2200HD and such when samsung monitors are available for the same price. I mean, put those monitors together and you will know what I am talking about.

About the 35 FPS remark by a poster above. I would say, if 35 FPS is the minimum that he means, then yes he is right. But when it comes to average FPS, then 60 is the way to go. You can actually feel the difference. But then again in games like crysis you cant. Its a long time debate anyway, and it really comes down to personal preference. I, for one would appreciate 45-60 FPS with 30 FPS as minimum.

Good luck desighning and gaming mate.
July 6, 2009 7:38:03 AM

Umm thanx for ur reply Hellraiser.. Im from Delhi..

Im relly looking forward to samsung if i get them ill chk arnd my city not a problem.. but if u say they cost just the same as benq then im surely gonna consider them... thanx for the suggest that they available out in here...

Does the Samsung t240 has HDMI ? cause i got an apple cinema HD at the moment... n the 2 other i want for xbox360 + my ps3 side by side..

it would be nice if you can PM me your msn id o something so we can talk over it more if u like too.. :) 
July 6, 2009 12:44:08 PM

@SandmanDante that is a lot of money you are spending...

And +1 for the i7 920...the 965/975 is totally not worth the extra cash...

Mobo - Rampage II Extreme is great for tri-SLI...

Graphics card - I would say 3x GTX 275 rather than 3x GTX 285...and you can easily save about 15000 INR without loosing noticable performance...

RAM - OCZ Platinum 1600MHz CAS 7...
12GB would be good for your needs...

PSU - Try and get the Corsair 1000HX...

Monitor - You should check out the Dell 2408WFP -
Talk to the dell reps...they should help you get 2 at a good price...They also have HDMI
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

CPU Cooling - The corsair H50 liquid cooling setup is available in India...So check that out...But if you can then setup a good setup yourself...
And as for air cooling - Scythe Mugen 2 is the best option if you can get one...

And check this out...
http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/

They seem to have most of the current components available...
July 6, 2009 2:43:37 PM

Thats a lot of money you are spending, personally I think its a waste of money, when you can spend a lot less than that and use that money to upgrade in couple months and you would still have some money left and end up with a better rig, but thats just my opinion
July 6, 2009 2:47:45 PM

hellraiser06 said:
Good God , 350000 rupees.. Good. Where do you live? I am in Mumbai.

So, I kknow you might be aware of this, but DX 11 cards are going to be launched soon. Even 2 x GTX 285 would be a waste of money as DX 11 games wont run any faster on them than , say, GTX 360 sli, which would be much cheaper to upgrade to if you stick to one GTX 285 for now. For your monitor, seriously, GTX 285 is an overkill (except for crysis and GTA 4). I have a 4870 1 GB and I can run Far cry 2 at 1920 x 1080 4x AA with an average of 50 FPS. Any other game with an average of 75 FPS. Crysis and GTA 4 are different stories though. and I have a AMD x3 720 BE which is no comparison to i7.

Also, i7 920 can be overclocked to some insane speeds and is the best bang for buck. 965 does not offer anuthing new except higher clock speeds and an unlocked multiplier. Pair it with a good cooler and you are good to go.

Now, I assume you know all the stuff that I said, so if you want you can still go ahead with the configuration.

On a side note, samsung T240 are avaiable in India. You have to look for them in malls and electronic stores though. EXCELLENT monitors. Go see them on the display and you will see what I mean. Otherwise, get a samsung 2233 SW. 16:9 aspect ratio with 1920x1080 resolution. Not sure if 24" is available or not. But, seriously samsung is the way to go when it comes to monitors. I really dont understand why alot of people in India are going for Benq 2200HD and such when samsung monitors are available for the same price. I mean, put those monitors together and you will know what I am talking about.

About the 35 FPS remark by a poster above. I would say, if 35 FPS is the minimum that he means, then yes he is right. But when it comes to average FPS, then 60 is the way to go. You can actually feel the difference. But then again in games like crysis you cant. Its a long time debate anyway, and it really comes down to personal preference. I, for one would appreciate 45-60 FPS with 30 FPS as minimum.

Good luck desighning and gaming mate.

Hey I just wanted to know, I got a 4870 1gb as well with a AMD 955, at what settings you think I could hit 40-50fps average when playing GTA4, crysis, Emire total war at 1680x1080
July 16, 2009 8:39:46 PM

thanx Gkay09, should i stick to 3x 24" LCDs or go for a 42" Plasma (need suggestions) ?

And K1ash3r how would i be wasting my money on a machine that will help me do my animation/rendering n earn my money? i think ill save a lot of time for HD rendering on mentalray(on maya)...

Cooler Master v10 is available in India just landed.. should i go for that ?
July 16, 2009 10:10:46 PM

S Mugen 2 or Xigmatek Dark Knight are the way to go, if you can pick one up. The V10 ia nice but way too over priced for little to no performance gain.
July 17, 2009 9:27:33 AM

@SandmanDante, going with the 42" Plasma(Assuming its a TV) is not good
Reason -> The resolution...Generally all the TVs have a resolution 1920X1080 -> 1080p resolution...But having 2 of those Dell LCDs, would get you more screen space( 2x 1920X1200), hence these are better...
Mabye you can drop one 24" and get a 32"/ 37"/ 40" Full HD LCD...

And NO to V10...Not worth the extra cash though you have cash to spend :p 
July 27, 2009 10:43:17 PM

top contender for 32-37 ish LCD HDTV ?
July 27, 2009 11:05:24 PM

K1ash3r said:
Thats a lot of money you are spending, personally I think its a waste of money, when you can spend a lot less than that and use that money to upgrade in couple months and you would still have some money left and end up with a better rig, but thats just my opinion

You can always say that you wait till the new technology comes out, but the companies constantly progressing. So by the time he would buy the next gen card, there will be next, much better (not saying next gen, becouse it can be just another model) card coming out soon...

So i say, there is no better time for upgrade, than now! :lol: 

I have to agree with hellraiser, T240 are great montirors. For MB, i personally wouldnt consider MSI Eclipse, they cannot match Asus Rampage II (when it comes to overclocking, cooling solution, BIOS options). Maybe have a look at MSI Eclipse Plus (has some heat problems @ NB/SB tho, as i heard) or Gigabyte EX58 Extreme.

Coolermaster V8 should be great for cooling. In some reviews i seen, it keeps up with Noctua. But with TRUE you will get even better temps. Those 3 are most common choice for cooling i7 i think, and you cannot go wrong with any of them.
July 27, 2009 11:17:58 PM

Thanx Sheira.. :) 

im not gonna live in the you should wait for dx11 n stuff lol i have been waiting n saving money for past 5 years... :S

jus updating the hardware list im getting...

i7 975
Asus Rampage II Extreme
12 GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600 Mhz (sadly 2ghz out of stock /cry)
MSi N285 Superpipe 1GB (3 way sli)
Cooler Master 1000W / 1250W Modular.
Cooler Master Cosmos S

Maybe trash in a SSD... depends..

Cooling working on WC Loops... any1 good in this section with Liquid cooling ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253388-29-please-advi...

Help if possible...

Displays still confused plasma 40+ or 2x 30ish LCD HDTV...(will it be good to play ps3/360 on that size).
August 7, 2009 11:22:19 PM

Hey guys a small update got some of my hardware..

i7 975
3 x N285
1000W Coolermaster (will be changing it with a modular 1000W)
n the chassis Cosmos S

will get rampage 2 ext. on monday

Just wanted suggestions on the RAM..

I got 2 option for my system.. will be getting 2x6gb kits i.e. 12gb total

1. Corsair Dominator GT - 1600 mhz - low latency
2. G Skill Trident - 2000 mhz - high latency
August 8, 2009 12:53:04 PM

jbakerlent said:
just no.

Just no ? wat no ram ? :heink: 
August 8, 2009 1:02:25 PM

get the 920 instead you'll be paying 300% on the 975 for 150% gain over the 920
Anonymous
August 16, 2009 10:01:52 PM

dude just listen.

what is the point of asking a question and then not listening to any of the answers.

your an idiot. listen and learn. dont be so stupid
August 17, 2009 1:11:49 AM

Quote:
dude just listen.

what is the point of asking a question and then not listening to any of the answers.

your an idiot. listen and learn. dont be so stupid

Rofl...

Asking a question means taking inputs/suggestions/feedback, not that you will do what the world does.. every1 buys a i7 920 cause its the best bang for bucks so i will buy it too.. everyone jumping in a pool n i will too..

I don't wanna save my money for somthing better in future (already did that past 5 years with this PC) like everyone im investing wats best 2day...

Really nice of u call some1 an idiot.. but i think ur an idiot instead... thank for posting your super helpful comment.. its a PC with price limit not with price concern..

In other words - I'm not looking for sluts off the road, I'm planning on making the playboy mansion itself...
Anonymous
August 24, 2009 1:38:39 AM

if EVERYONE does something theres usually a pretty good reason for it.

i think its incredibly stupid to throw money down the drain as you are doing. if your a millionaire and can afford it then fine, but im sure you could put the vast mojority of that money to better use and still come out with a great pc. at least keep half the money in the bank so in a month or twos time you can afford one of the next gen gpus. you keep saying you want the best....then get the best in a month. you spend your money now your only gonna have the 'best' for a few weeks. next gen cards come out = better cards (obviously) = price cuts on older cards.

you wanted tips/advice there you have it....do the logical/sensible thing or youve wasted your 5 years of savings
September 5, 2009 5:55:38 PM

I suggest you buy a plane ticket to California, have a vacation for a week, buy an i7 or i7 parts for $2000, and you'll still save a couple thousand dollars than just spending $7000 on an i7 in India.
!