Fresh build, XFX 4890 3 red lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, I've searched around the forum and have seen a number of threads about the 48xx series having red lights, however none of them ever seem to have resolutions.

Here's the situation, I just built a new system (parts below) and I get no video out and no system beeps. Everything seems ok, I tried individual sticks of RAM, remounted the CPU, double checked the standoffs, and have unplugged all un-needed items (hard drive, audio cable, usb hookups, etc.).

It wasn't until I went through the entire process that I read online that 3 red lights on the GPU is bad news. The graphics card I have claims to have a 8-pin / 6-pin power connection, however the one I received appears to have 2x6-pin, I'm slightly confused by this (am I missing something?).

I'm fairly sure my PSU is powerful enough for the one card. I'm hoping that I'm missing something simple and the card isn't DOA...maybe I'll double check the standoffs again and make sure the mobo isn't touching metal.

Here is the complete breakdown:

VGA XFX | HD-489A-ZDFC HD4890 1GB R
MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VH236H RT
DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S223F 22X BK
HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS
CASE CM|RC-932-KKN1-GP BK RT
MB GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 RTL
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R
MEM 2Gx3|CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8 G
MS VISTA HOME PREM X64 1PK COUPON
CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The three lights are supposed to come on when the computer boots. They signify that the card is going through its internal POST. They will all flash once, then turn off if the POST is successful.

If a single light stays on then there is something wrong. Otherwise the issues is in a different part of your machine. Depending on which light stays on indicats a particular error.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I believe all three staying on signifies a critical core power fault. One light is temeprature, the other two are the respective power plug being lose. All three means not enough power.

This means that either the card is falwed, or the PSU is flawed. That PSU is plenty to power the system if everything is working.

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I'm gonna try another card tonight. Another strange thing is the card came with a converter to convert 4-pin into 6-pin, however it also came with a booklet saying specifically not to do that, it also had absolutely no documentation when it comes to installation or error lights. Not thrilled with XFX.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
None of the cards come with information on the error lights. I own two xfx 4890's myself. They are required to supply those adapters, as you need to use them if you have an old PSU.. never a good idea though.

tplaner

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, was able to solve the issue last night, it turns out that a standoff was not aligned properly and was causing a short.

I built the system out of the box and it booted fine, then fixed the standoff and now all is well.

Thank you guys again for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.