Sign in with
Your question

Guys! Alienware $2,604 or Build My Own?

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2009 5:18:12 AM

I'm considering on either purchasing the 875watt Alienware Aurora for $2,604 or building my own computer.

Specs:

CHASSIS COLOR Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 950 (3.06GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64 bit) + Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Coupon - Engli edit
VIDEO CARD Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 edit
MEMORY 12GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3 edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
My Accessories
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue edit
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Red edit
AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled

I have to have a top of the line computer because I'm a internet psychic advisor; I make money with my computer and I like to do gaming and play games like Crysis.

I want another desktop for my bedroom. Would I save that much money if I build my own? Is it hard to build my own if I have no experience?

All of you out there, please let me know your opinions.
Thanks.
October 2, 2009 5:43:04 AM

Quote:
950 is a complete waste

How is 950 a complete waste? I thought the faster a CPU speed the better.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 5:52:09 AM

Wow I guess being psychic dont apply to computers :sarcastic:  Shouldnt you just like know or something?

But really you can spend much less and get more if you build it yourself.

950 is a waste because you can spend less on say a 920 and overclock it thus getting higher clock speeds and more performance then the much more expensive 950.

Research a bit, build your own and save yourself a $1000 or so.

At least thats what my powers are telling me :pt1cable: 
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2009 5:53:13 AM

Quote:
The 920 can easily goto 4.5Ghz with great cooling. It's all you need

If you're talking about overclocking, I cant because I have a Dell XPS 435 and the Bios is locked. And I can't find any decent overclocking software.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 5:54:06 AM

clairvoyant christopher said:
If you're talking about overclocking, I cant because I have a Dell XPS 435 and the Bios is locked. And I can't find any decent overclocking software.

Ok now im confused.
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:02:14 AM

anort3 said:
Ok now im confused.

You're confused because I was talking to Psychosaysdie. Do you overclock the CPU through the Bios?
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:08:26 AM

Eww dell. People buy dell cause its premade and they don't know much about pc's I suppose.
I'd definitely say build your own. Its not hard and can save quite abit of money. Shop around for parts though, can make substantial savings without much risk.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 6:10:25 AM

You're confused because I was talking to Psychosaysdie. Do you overclock the CPU through the Bios?

No im confused as to how a thread started about either buying a new Alienware or building your own turned into a Dell discussion. And since your powers epic fail once again Ill help. The overclocking that was being discussed was for the new homebuilt system and making it faster than the overpriced Alienware NOT about your current computer.

Oh and the thread header says "Guys" and not PsychoSaysDie only. :D 
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:32:11 AM

Alright. I presume you want to buy this new computer for gaming. What games do you want to play, and what's your screen resolution? What are the specs of your current Dell? If I remember correctly, the XPS 435 was available with a Core i7 CPU. If yours has a Core i7, then you're throwing money away buying a new computer; a simple video card and possibly power supply upgrade would increase your gaming performance. If you want to overclock your CPU and your BIOS is locked, you can get a new motherboard for ~$200.

If you really want a new system, then building your own will save you a lot of money over Alienware, but please tell us what your current PC specs are; we could potentially save you a lot of money.

EDIT:I read your original post again, and realized that you want a second desktop for your room. I'd go ahead and build it yourself. As others have said, the Core i7 950 is a waste of money. It costs twice as much as the 920; the only difference between the two is 400 MHz, and that doesn't matter if you're going to overclock. Also, forget about the GeForce GTX295. The ATI Radeon 5000 series cards are out; two Radeon HD 5850s will outperform a GTX295 for the same money.

You should be able to get a build with an i7 920 and two Radeon HD 5850s for under $1500.
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:33:31 AM

anort3 said:
No im confused as to how a thread started about either buying a new Alienware or building your own turned into a Dell discussion. And since your powers epic fail once again Ill help. The overclocking that was being discussed was for the new homebuilt system and making it faster than the overpriced Alienware NOT about your current computer.

Oh and the thread header says "Guys" and not PsychoSaysDie only. :D 

A psychic can't just know everything, computers have so many technical parts to put together. If I could just go out and predict building a computer without learning then I would be a millionaire! And I only talked about my Dell to point out that I can't overclock it because the Bios is locked. But I'm serious about building my own computer & overclocking. My clairvoyance can't predict overclocking & lucky lotto numbers as well.
m
l
October 2, 2009 6:44:59 AM

A psychic can't just know everything, computers have so many technical parts to put together. If I could just go out and predict building a computer without learning then I would be a millionaire! And I only talked about my Dell to point out that I can't overclock it because the Bios is locked. But I'm serious about building my own computer & overclocking. My clairvoyance can't predict overclocking & lucky lotto numbers as well.

In terms of building a computer, it's not all that difficult; there are plenty of good step-by-step guides online to help you along. Just do a quick search; you should come up with a bunch of useful stuff. In terms of overclocking, there are also several guides online. There are guides for overclocking graphics cards, guides for overclocking Core 2 Duos, guides for overclocking AMD processors, guides for overclocking Core i7s; you name it, and there's probably a guide for overclocking it.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 6:53:08 AM

LOL dude you work for a psychic hotline. You read from a checklist like any telemarketer. I was being humorous in my first post but if you want to seriously say you have some kind of "powers" Ill call you on that BS.

I was not rude to you ( sarcastic smily at the end of the first sentence of the first post) and actually tried to help answer your questions. I certainly tried not to let my true feelings about how so called psychics are no better than con men or how you basically make a living stealing from people who for the most part have no education hence have low paying jobs and are the members of society who can least afford to spend money on crap like that. But hey the old scam business usually does pay well as evidenced by the $2600 you want to spend on a "work" computer.

I think Penn and Teller did an episode of BS about this kind of crap.

Brother Beavis is done preaching now.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:09:31 AM

angry_ducky said:
In terms of building a computer, it's not all that difficult; there are plenty of good step-by-step guides online to help you along. Just do a quick search; you should come up with a bunch of useful stuff. In terms of overclocking, there are also several guides online. There are guides for overclocking graphics cards, guides for overclocking Core 2 Duos, guides for overclocking AMD processors, guides for overclocking Core i7s; you name it, and there's probably a guide for overclocking it.

Here are the specs of my Dell that you asked for:

Item Number Quantity Item Description
224-4399 1 Studio XPS 435T
317-0067 1 Studio XPS 435T, Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
317-0076 1 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
330-0915 1 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
320-7810 1 No Monitor
320-7889 1 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5
341-8517 1 640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
421-0084 1 Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition Edition English
330-3184 1 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
420-8873 1 Dell Dock Consumer
420-8874 1 Dell Video Chat
463-2282 1 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
421-0323 1 Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface
421-0427 1 Dell Movie Store
420-9691 1 DataSafe Local BackUp 2.0 Basic
420-6436 1 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
330-1158 1 Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
313-4593 1 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
410-1867 1 ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE
313-7425 1 16X DVD+/-RW
420-8152 1 Roxio Creator 10.2 Dell Edition
421-0543 1 Power DVD 8.2, DVD
313-7878 1 Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
313-4514 1 No Speaker Requested
430-3347 1 Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
410-2156 1 Norton Internet Security
2009 MUI, 15-Month
420-8103 1 Microsoft Works 9.0, English

As I said earlier I want another desktop for my bedroom. From what you just said, I think that there is some hope after all on building my own computer. If it takes more time and patience then it's worth it. And as I understand everything right you can't upgrade a Dell or Alienware without a hassle. If I build my own computer I want the best parts for it such as CPU, graphics card, ram, cooling, harddrive, and motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 7:12:57 AM

I think that you're wasting everybody's time here.You don't want to learn how to build a PC because you're scared about messing up (or just enjoy wasting peoples time) when everybody here knows that it is a pretty simple and enjoyable thing to do ( a minor sense of accomplishment) as well as save some money.
It's not as difficult like it was 15 or 25 years ago with a gazillion sets of jumpers that had to be properly configured.So you are better off buying that Alienware and calling in (and later paying for) support when you have problems with it.Many of us here do our own support for ourselves so we don't have to pay or call.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:29:37 AM

anort3 said:
LOL dude you work for a psychic hotline. You read from a checklist like any telemarketer. I was being humorous in my first post but if you want to seriously say you have some kind of "powers" Ill call you on that BS.

I was not rude to you ( sarcastic smily at the end of the first sentence of the first post) and actually tried to help answer your questions. I certainly tried not to let my true feelings about how so called psychics are no better than con men or how you basically make a living stealing from people who for the most part have no education hence have low paying jobs and are the members of society who can least afford to spend money on crap like that. But hey the old scam business usually does pay well as evidenced by the $2600 you want to spend on a "work" computer.

I think Penn and Teller did an episode of BS about this kind of crap.

Brother Beavis is done preaching now.

I'm not a con artist, I'm also a Police Psychic Detective and I often work with the police. I don't charge a fee for my services when I'm working with the police. For you to say that all psychics are con men is not true. There are a lot of people who are serious about questions on love & money who need guidance. If I get any legal or health questions I always refer my clients to the proper professionals that can help them. And as far as customers having no education, there are some psychics on the network I work with that charge between $40-$50 a MINUTE, which means that a lot of wealthy people call on a regular basis.

You are entitled to you're own opinion.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:46:20 AM

jj463rd said:
I think that you're wasting everybody's time here.You don't want to learn how to build a PC because you're scared about messing up (or just enjoy wasting peoples time) when everybody here knows that it is a pretty simple and enjoyable thing to do ( a minor sense of accomplishment) as well as save some money.
It's not as difficult like it was 15 or 25 years ago with a gazillion sets of jumpers that had to be properly configured.So you are better off buying that Alienware and calling in (and later paying for) support when you have problems with it.Many of us here do our own support for ourselves so we don't have to pay or call.

How would you know that I'm wasting everybodys time? Why would I be scared about messing up? What you're doing is making up rude remarks to me. You don't even know me! YOU'RE NOT A KIND PERSON to say remarks like that. As a psychic I know that there is no way in hell that you can even make predictions like that without ever talking on the phone or talking in person.

When people go out of their way to be rude for no reason whatsoever, its because their lives are miserable.

How can you even prove that I'm wasting everybodys time and that I'm scared about messing up? You can't.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 7:54:48 AM

If he is wasting your time, why are you responding? If you are not interested in answering the OP's questions and would prefer to attack their choice of profession, stop posting in this thread.

OP edited to remove off-site link, as advertisements are not needed to answer the question, not that the link worked anyway.
m
l
October 2, 2009 7:56:28 AM

jj463rd said:

I think that, if the OP wants to learn to build his own PC, then who are we to get in the way of that? While we cannot make the decision to build or buy for him, we can provide the pros and cons of both options to help steer him in the right direction. The point of this forum is for people to ask questions and get help with them. As you and I have said, building a PC isn't too difficult nowadays. If the OP wants to go down that road, we are here to help...
m
l
October 2, 2009 1:30:36 PM

angry_ducky said:
I think that, if the OP wants to learn to build his own PC, then who are we to get in the way of that? While we cannot make the decision to build or buy for him, we can provide the pros and cons of both options to help steer him in the right direction. The point of this forum is for people to ask questions and get help with them. As you and I have said, building a PC isn't too difficult nowadays. If the OP wants to go down that road, we are here to help...

Thank you for you're support. I will build my own. Here in Beverly Hills, CA so many people are having their computers built through Maingear. These computers are so over priced that it's a joke. These computers run over $8,700. These computers have some of the highest ratings for being the fastest computers ever made. I've seen these computers on C-NET and PC Mag, they have water cooling, I don't want to go that far.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 3:27:03 PM

I'm considering on either purchasing the 875watt Alienware Aurora for $2,604 or building my own computer. ~~~~

I have to have a top of the line computer because I'm a internet psychic advisor; I make money with my computer and I like to do gaming and play games like Crysis.

(holds forefingers to temples) I'm thinking of a system .... :o 

In case there is too much cosmic debris between us:

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition: $189

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 790FX: $165

2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1Gb @ $155/pop

G.Skill 6GB (3 x 2GB) CL7 DDR3 1333: $135

XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU Cooler: $45

OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound: $6

Combo: Corsair 750w PSU & Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb hard drive: $195 ($175 AR)
(valid till 10/08/2009)

HP Black 24X DVD Writer - Retail : $32

Antec Twelve Hundred Computer Case: $160

Roughly $1,350.

If you cannot channel my build instructions :whistle:  pay a local yokel $200 to build it for you --- and install a copy of the Win7 RC (which you will have to purchase next Spring).

But you already knew that, didn't you ?

(j/k btw!)

m
l
October 2, 2009 3:59:44 PM

Wisecracker said:

Combo: Corsair 750w PSU & Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb hard drive: $195 ($175 AR)
(valid till 10/08/2009)

Roughly $1,350.

If you cannot channel my build instructions :whistle:  pay a local yokel $200 to build it for you --- and install a copy of the Win7 RC (which you will have to purchase next Spring).

(j/k btw!)

Thank you so much for the information.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2009 4:03:50 PM

With 2,600$$$ you can build a monster that will crush any alienware.....

Building is the least of your worries as long as you take your time and ask questions if you hit a wall.

Most peeps that buy an alienware can care less how much they spend, others just buy them for the case among other things....

The GTX 295 is waste as well since you can get more or less the same performance from the 5870, cheaper/draws less power/DX11 .....

m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 2, 2009 4:23:32 PM

My Recommendation, if you are willing to spend $2,600 on a system!!

Cost: $2,330.87
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
  • MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  • RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
  • HSF: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
  • SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM
  • HDD: SAMUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
  • PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ... - Retail
  • GPU: 2x XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
  • DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
  • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
  • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
  • OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Edit: Add in addtional cost of $150 for a keyboard and mouse... My recommendations for a gaming setup:
  • RAZER DeathAdder RZ01-00150100-R3M1 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Optical High Precision Gaming Mouse - Retail ($49.99)
  • Logitech G15 USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail ($89.99)

m
    l
    October 2, 2009 6:16:57 PM

Wisecracker said:

(valid till 10/08/2009)

Roughly $1,350.

(j/k btw!)

Thank you so much for the information. This forum is exciting, I've never felt so moativated to build my own computer! I'm seeing not only the savings, but I'm also seeing how more of a computer you get thats more reliable. Goodbye Dell.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 6:17:41 PM

I recomand ypu to bulid it yourself,because you'll feel happy that you bulid up your OWN PC,not pre-asambled,and i like the parts you choosen for the do-it yourseft configuration.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 6:23:57 PM

tecmo34 said:
    My Recommendation, if you are willing to spend $2,600 on a system!!

Cost: $2,330.87
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
  • MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  • RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Retail
  • HSF: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
  • SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - OEM
  • HDD: SAMUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
  • PSU: Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ... - Retail
  • GPU: 2x XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
  • DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
  • Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
  • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
  • OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Edit: Add in addtional cost of $150 for a keyboard and mouse... My recommendations for a gaming setup:
  • RAZER DeathAdder RZ01-00150100-R3M1 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Optical High Precision Gaming Mouse - Retail ($49.99)
  • Logitech G15 USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail ($89.99)

• Those are some awesome specs! I will consider it. You guys seem like professional IT techs. You might want to start a business building computers! I'm self employed and I love what I do. $2,604 is to much to spend on a pre-built computer. I see that the possibilities are endless!
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 6:27:12 PM

RAFU said:
    I recomand ypu to bulid it yourself,because you'll feel happy that you bulid up your OWN PC,not pre-asambled,and i like the parts you choosen for the do-it yourseft configuration.

I agree with you 100%. When you build your own, you can build a top of the line PC thats not full of bloatware like AOL software, which slows down the computer.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 6:31:58 PM

OvrClkr said:
    With 2,600$$$ you can build a monster that will crush any alienware.....

Building is the least of your worries as long as you take your time and ask questions if you hit a wall.

Most peeps that buy an alienware can care less how much they spend, others just buy them for the case among other things....

The GTX 295 is waste as well since you can get more or less the same performance from the 5870, cheaper/draws less power/DX11 .....

The GeForce GTX 295 is a waste after all, I thought it was one of the best graphic cards because it has 2 GPU's on the single graphics card. I did read part of the review on the 5870 in Toms Hardware and it did say that this is a very fast graphic card.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    October 2, 2009 6:51:38 PM

I sent you a private message.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 7:52:19 PM

I agree with you 100%. When you build your own, you can build a top of the line PC thats not full of bloatware like AOL software, which slows down the computer.

LOL,i didn't tought of all the freeware and trial-ware things and progams that they put in you HDD or SSD.
    Anyway,i still recomand the do-it yourself method,because you can know what you put in your PC,where you put,why you put there and that kind of stuff.. :D 
    m
    l
    a c 199 à CPUs
    October 2, 2009 9:41:03 PM

CHASSIS-Get an Antec 1200 or something you can easily work in
    PSU: Antec Signature / Corsair HX series .... 650 or 850 watts if thinking 2nd vid card
    MoBo: Asus P6T
    PROCESSOR - Drop to a 920 and save $200+
    HSF - Prolimatech Megahalems
    Thermal Paste - Any decent one
    OPERATING SYSTEM - Wait 20 days and buy Windows7
    VIDEO CARD - The 5870 will get you within 10% of the 295 GTX for $120 cheaper....you decide if the 10% is worth it to you or if you don't wanna wait till you can actually find a 5870 in stock. Personally, I'm not buying till 2010
    MEMORY - 6 GB DDR1600 is more than enough
    HARD DRIVE - Pick one from charts at link below....note: a good score on 2 TB model does NOT translate to a good score on a 1 TB or other size from same vendor. Don't forget noise and temperature charts.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...
    OPTICAL DRIVE - whatever
    SOUND CARD - On Board sound is fine and is on most MoBos
    KEYBOARD - whatever
    MOUSE - whatever

My son has a similar build on the boards here:

MoBo ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    CPU Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem
    VidCard Undecided (leaning towards EVGA GTX 295)
    Memory Mushkin Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model 998692 w/ 6-7-6-18 timings
    Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
    Case Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower
    Case Fans Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fans (2)
    PSU Antec Signature SG-850 850W
    DVD ASUS Black 6X Blu-Ray DVD Combo SATA Model BC-06B1ST
    Keyboard Logitech G19 Black USB Wired
    Mouse Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse
    CPU Cooler Prolimatech Megahalems
    CPU Fans Enermax Magma UC-MA12 120mm Case Fan 69 cfm @ 18 dba 0.34 amp (2)
    Thermal Paste IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate

He's at about $2,000 w/ the above but will not order his stuff till right before Windows 7 release. He's still leaning towards the GTX 295 cause it is the fastest card available under his budget. The 5870 is $120 cheaper but his thinking is that comparing card prices is irrelevant. A system w/ a 5870 will cost him $2,390 and one with a GTX 295 will cost him $2,510. So his argument is his entire system is 10% faster for 5% more system cost. My thinking is, it's his money, he should pick what floats his boat.

If it was me, well I never build right before XMas.....prices are artificially high and Intel always does their price cuts at end of February.

m
    l
    October 2, 2009 10:28:01 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
    CHASSIS-Get an Antec 1200 or something you can easily work in
    PSU: Antec Signature / Corsair HX series .... 650 or 850 watts if thinking 2nd vid card
    MoBo: Asus P6T
    PROCESSOR - Drop to a 920 and save $200+
    HSF - Prolimatech Megahalems
    Thermal Paste - Any decent one
    OPERATING SYSTEM - Wait 20 days and buy Windows7
    VIDEO CARD - The 5870 will get you within 10% of the 295 GTX for $120 cheaper....you decide if the 10% is worth it to you or if you don't wanna wait till you can actually find a 5870 in stock. Personally, I'm not buying till 2010
    MEMORY - 6 GB DDR1600 is more than enough
    HARD DRIVE - Pick one from charts at link below....note: a good score on 2 TB model does NOT translate to a good score on a 1 TB or other size from same vendor. Don't forget noise and temperature charts.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...
    OPTICAL DRIVE - whatever
    SOUND CARD - On Board sound is fine and is on most MoBos
    KEYBOARD - whatever
    MOUSE - whatever

My son has a similar build on the boards here:

MoBo ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    CPU Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem
    VidCard Undecided (leaning towards EVGA GTX 295)
    Memory Mushkin Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model 998692 w/ 6-7-6-18 timings
    Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
    Case Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower
    Case Fans Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fans (2)
    PSU Antec Signature SG-850 850W
    DVD ASUS Black 6X Blu-Ray DVD Combo SATA Model BC-06B1ST
    Keyboard Logitech G19 Black USB Wired
    Mouse Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse
    CPU Cooler Prolimatech Megahalems
    CPU Fans Enermax Magma UC-MA12 120mm Case Fan 69 cfm @ 18 dba 0.34 amp (2)
    Thermal Paste IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound
    OS Windows 7 Ultimate

He's at about $2,000 w/ the above but will not order his stuff till right before Windows 7 release. He's still leaning towards the GTX 295 cause it is the fastest card available under his budget. The 5870 is $120 cheaper but his thinking is that comparing card prices is irrelevant. A system w/ a 5870 will cost him $2,390 and one with a GTX 295 will cost him $2,510. So his argument is his entire system is 10% faster for 5% more system cost. My thinking is, it's his money, he should pick what floats his boat.

If it was me, well I never build right before XMas.....prices are artificially high and Intel always does their price cuts at end of February.

The GTX 295 is the fastest card and thats the card I plan to get and I like that it's 1792MB. A little more than 1 GB. Plus it has 2 GPU's on the single card. You're right about Xmas as far as the products being more expensive. It sounds like if I'm going to build, I better do it very soon. Thank you so much for the information.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 10:59:59 PM

It techs lol, anyways

The gtx 295 is the fastest dual gpu card yah, but if you look at it that way. compare it to a crossfired 5870 (so 2x5870) since 1. 5870 is pretty much enough to alrdy rival it, 2 would eat it.

Besides the 5xxx series newer tech runs cooler lower power consumption, and dx11 (yay..)

As for the memory on the cards it does not work like that, atleast for dual cards like the 295. It basicly has the same data stored on both the single gpu memory's thus actually ''only'' having 896mb rather then the 1792 its obviously getting advertised with.

Long story short, with such a budget take the tech route buy some 5850/70 a nice i7 920 some silly ram , heck even a ssd and play your games, or edit text
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    October 2, 2009 11:15:26 PM

Alienware is a complete waste of money like the bridge to no ware or any other pork barrel. Build your own, for the same price you can build a much better rig or even for less.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 11:32:28 PM

ill b ben said:
    It techs lol, anyways

The gtx 295 is the fastest dual gpu card yah, but if you look at it that way. compare it to a crossfired 5870 (so 2x5870) since 1. 5870 is pretty much enough to alrdy rival it, 2 would eat it.

Besides the 5xxx series newer tech runs cooler lower power consumption, and dx11 (yay..)

As for the memory on the cards it does not work like that, atleast for dual cards like the 295. It basicly has the same data stored on both the single gpu memory's thus actually ''only'' having 896mb rather then the 1792 its obviously getting advertised with.

Long story short, with such a budget take the tech route buy some 5850/70 a nice i7 920 some silly ram , heck even a ssd and play your games, or edit text

I will take what you told me into consideration. I really want a graphics card that will not have to be replaced for several years. I was even thinking of getting a 2GB graphics card. Thank you for responding.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2009 11:37:22 PM

nforce4max said:
    Alienware is a complete waste of money like the bridge to no ware or any other pork barrel. Build your own, for the same price you can build a much better rig or even for less.

I believe you so much, I don't want to spend all of my savings on a pre-built computer that you can't really upgrade. And I noticed that the new Alienware computers have a completely different design with not as much features such as the video performance optimizer (overclocking software). Thank you for your input.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    October 3, 2009 12:01:18 AM

I'm considering on either purchasing the 875watt Alienware Aurora for $2,604 or building my own computer.

Specs:

CHASSIS COLOR Lunar Shadow, Alienware Aurora Chassis edit
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 950 (3.06GHz, 8MB Cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64 bit) + Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Coupon - Engli edit
    VIDEO CARD Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 edit
    MEMORY 12GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3 edit
    HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
    SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
    MONITOR No Monitor edit
    KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard edit
    MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100 edit
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
    My Accessories
    ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue edit
    WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Red edit
    AUTOMATIC UPDATES Automatic Updates: Enabled

I want another desktop for my bedroom. Would I save that much money if I build my own? Is it hard to build my own if I have no experience?

All of you out there, please let me know your opinions.
    Thanks.

-First off, you can cut the price of your CPU by like 50% and get a 920 and easily overclock it to the power of the 950...
    -Alienware is good...but its very expensive
    -For the same money you can build a rig much better in every capacity and even save a couple hundred.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 12:54:22 AM

I would stick with ATI's 5000 series since it is newer and future drivers for it can only make it faster/better. Another consideration is that the ATI card already has DX11, so it is more future-proof than a GTX 295 that is only DX10. There may not be many DX11 games out right now, but you wanted future-proof(ness?) and ATI seems like the better choice out of the two. Also, Nvidia's GTX 295 is already old tech and remember it's two GPUs on a single card, so games that don't utilize SLI won't perform as well as a single 5870 GPU. I might be wrong here cause the layout of GTX 295's change as you look among different brands/models of the card. As someone has mentioned, you can buy two 5870s and crossfire them for just $200 more than a single GTX 295 and you will get the performance close to two GTX 295 in SLI (basically $700+ vs $1000+ for the same performance).

It might have been better to leave your profession out of your threads as some people won't take you seriously. I'm just a college student and a part-time worker at my local mall, but you wouldn't have taken my advice as seriously if you've read that in the beginning right? Anyway, good luck on your build and know there are really great people in this forum who can help, since I was as clueless as you were just months ago, but now I've learned a lot from this forum/site and through my own research.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 1:13:10 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
    -First off, you can cut the price of your CPU by like 50% and get a 920 and easily overclock it to the power of the 950...
    -Alienware is good...but its very expensive
    -For the same money you can build a rig much better in every capacity and even save a couple hundred.

Yes somebody else told me the same thing about overclocking a 920. What I don't like about the 950 is that it's another $500.00 through Alienware. If you want Alienware to overclock the CPU forget it because the price is $1,200 extra to overclock a 17 975 Extreme! Thank you for your help & guidance.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 1:16:00 AM

Hey Clairvoyant Chris,

I recently bought a book called "Build it. Fix it. Own it." (by Paul McFedries). It was an excellent book for beginners that discusses building your own PC for the first timer. If you are considering dropping some cash on a new computer, I recommend that you hold for a week or two... buy the book... read it... think about it... and then come back on here and suggest your system build to the house experts. You may end up with a better product in the end, and it may be less frustrating for you.

Just some thoughts from a friendly passerby.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 1:31:05 AM

kokin said:
    I would stick with ATI's 5000 series since it is newer and future drivers for it can only make it faster/better. Another consideration is that the ATI card already has DX11, so it is more future-proof than a GTX 295 that is only DX10. There may not be many DX11 games out right now, but you wanted future-proof(ness?) and ATI seems like the better choice out of the two. Also, Nvidia's GTX 295 is already old tech and remember it's two GPUs on a single card, so games that don't utilize SLI won't perform as well as a single 5870 GPU. I might be wrong here cause the layout of GTX 295's change as you look among different brands/models of the card. As someone has mentioned, you can buy two 5870s and crossfire them for just $200 more than a single GTX 295 and you will get the performance close to two GTX 295 in SLI (basically $700+ vs $1000+ for the same performance).

It might have been better to leave your profession out of your threads as some people won't take you seriously. I'm just a college student and a part-time worker at my local mall, but you wouldn't have taken my advice as seriously if you've read that in the beginning right? Anyway, good luck on your build and know there are really great people in this forum who can help, since I was as clueless as you were just months ago, but now I've learned a lot from this forum/site and through my own research.

Oh my God I never thought of that, you're right the 5870 would be a better choice because of DX11 and cheaper to! I would of taken you're advice even if your college student and working at a mall, because a lot of kids nowadays are building their own computers (teenagers). A lot of people just don't understand how psychic's work and that makes people skeptical and uncomfortable. And a lot of people on this forum who build their own computers are used to real figures & proven results. Thank you so much for your help.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 1:37:33 AM

prklts said:
    Hey Clairvoyant Chris,

I recently bought a book called "Build it. Fix it. Own it." (by Paul McFedries). It was an excellent book for beginners that discusses building your own PC for the first timer. If you are considering dropping some cash on a new computer, I recommend that you hold for a week or two... buy the book... read it... think about it... and then come back on here and suggest your system build to the house experts. You may end up with a better product in the end, and it may be less frustrating for you.

Just some thoughts from a friendly passerby.

I will check that book out. I would never buy the books "How To Build Computers For Dummies" I can't stand those books, they are to me more confusing than a regular book that you have just recommended to me. Thanks so much!
    m
    l
    a c 199 à CPUs
    October 3, 2009 3:51:22 PM

ill b ben said:
    It techs lol, anyways

I'd say a better comparison would be the 5870x2 which is expected around thanksgiving....by then the GTX 300 series will be out and perhaps we'll have some other alternatives. But if someone feels the need to buy today, that's a problem, then again so is finding a 5870 in stock. Single GPU card vs. dual GPU card comparisons are always tough as you could compare twin 295's versus twin 5870's but scaling is always game and driver dependent so you almost have to compare it game by game. Twin cards also introduce other factors such having to turn off the technology when running dual monitors.

DX11 I would be less concerned with considering the flop that DX10 was. Best bet here I think is to look at the games lists on wikipedia and see what games support DX11 and what games support PhysX. Go down the lists and see which ones you are most likely to play and decide accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Finally, it depends what type of a PC user you are .... if you build a box and then don't touch it for 4 years, the 5870 is probably the better choice. If you upgrade your graphics card every year, then there's little reason to care what's new or old tech, maybe what gets you to the finish line first is more important.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 5:18:58 PM

You're welcome, Clairvoyant Chris.

I know that coming into these forums and interacting with all of us geeks is frustrating, but I think it's also frustrating to buy a PC from Dell.

- high pressure sales tactics
    - stuck with a cheap, plastic case (inferior airflow... doesn't open well... not at all a chixx0r magnet -- hardly any way to pick up babes)
    - forced to use Dell brand mobos and power supplies which (alas) are purposefully not interchangeable with normal industry parts... forcing you to buy more Dell... also the overclocking limits you mentioned
    - if something wears out or goes obsolete on your own build, you can replace a single component easily with OEM parts instead of having to buy more Dell stuffs
    - Dell has nice deals on low-end PCs but they make up for it by raping your credit card for high-end PCs... you could save some bucks here if you spend to get a decent one
    - with Dell you're missing out on the satisfaction of building and maintaining your own PC... you get SMRT with computer stuff and can fix your own problems
    - buying from Dell doesn't make you hang out with cool people like those here at Tom's hardware

Dell is a good company for n00bs, but using my own psychic powers, I think you're ready to step up to the next level. Now let's not rush anything... but I believe you could learn a little and build your own PC. Just learn a little bit at a time. If it takes you 12 hours to build it instead of 3-4 hours... that's okay, right? It's not a race. It's about personal growth. I think you should go for it, Chris. Lots of people have done it, and we're not any better than you. We just have this ballsy, risk-taking tendencies.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 6:42:55 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
    I'd say a better comparison would be the 5870x2 which is expected around thanksgiving....by then the GTX 300 series will be out and perhaps we'll have some other alternatives. But if someone feels the need to buy today, that's a problem, then again so is finding a 5870 in stock. Single GPU card vs. dual GPU card comparisons are always tough as you could compare twin 295's versus twin 5870's but scaling is always game and driver dependent so you almost have to compare it game by game. Twin cards also introduce other factors such having to turn off the technology when running dual monitors.

DX11 I would be less concerned with considering the flop that DX10 was. Best bet here I think is to look at the games lists on wikipedia and see what games support DX11 and what games support PhysX. Go down the lists and see which ones you are most likely to play and decide accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Finally, it depends what type of a PC user you are .... if you build a box and then don't touch it for 4 years, the 5870 is probably the better choice. If you upgrade your graphics card every year, then there's little reason to care what's new or old tech, maybe what gets you to the finish line first is more important.

Yes, the 5870x2 is what I want. I'm not going to buy any more games for a while because I have so many and it takes time to learn these games. You guys are so cool & informative! Thank you so much for responding.
    m
    l
    October 3, 2009 7:02:50 PM

prklts said:
    You're welcome, Clairvoyant Chris.

I know that coming into these forums and interacting with all of us geeks is frustrating, but I think it's also frustrating to buy a PC from Dell.

- high pressure sales tactics
    - stuck with a cheap, plastic case (inferior airflow... doesn't open well... not at all a chixx0r magnet -- hardly any way to pick up babes)
    - forced to use Dell brand mobos and power supplies which (alas) are purposefully not interchangeable with normal industry parts... forcing you to buy more Dell... also the overclocking limits you mentioned
    - if something wears out or goes obsolete on your own build, you can replace a single component easily with OEM parts instead of having to buy more Dell stuffs
    - Dell has nice deals on low-end PCs but they make up for it by raping your credit card for high-end PCs... you could save some bucks here if you spend to get a decent one
    - with Dell you're missing out on the satisfaction of building and maintaining your own PC... you get SMRT with computer stuff and can fix your own problems
    - buying from Dell doesn't make you hang out with cool people like those here at Tom's hardware

Dell is a good company for n00bs, but using my own psychic powers, I think you're ready to step up to the next level. Now let's not rush anything... but I believe you could learn a little and build your own PC. Just learn a little bit at a time. If it takes you 12 hours to build it instead of 3-4 hours... that's okay, right? It's not a race. It's about personal growth. I think you should go for it, Chris. Lots of people have done it, and we're not any better than you. We just have this ballsy, risk-taking tendencies.

Buying from Dell is not easy unless you do it online, but you're so limited as far as upgrading. I mean try replacing a mother board out of a Dell computer forget it, theres so much plastic to get through and plus the motherboards that Dell uses are different from the retail versions that you buy yourself. I learned this from this forum. You have psychic powers, that great. I don't think that you guys are geeks at all. You guys are so amazing and very smart. I've learned so much from this forum much more than c-net. I will build my own, oh my God I just remembered something, my uncle Greg built a computer for my grandmother and he could help me to! My uncle Greg is very smart & he uses 2 monitors on all of his computers. He told me once you have 2 monitors you'll never want to go back to 1 monitor. Now I have no excuse for not building my own computer. Thank you for responding! You're a cool person.
    m
    l
    October 4, 2009 4:32:24 AM

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you guys for your help, support, knowledge and guidance! You guys are awesome in every way. I've never have heard so many smart & intelligent facts from so many professional people. Building my own computer is what I'm going to do for sure. Please continue to let me know your opinions! I appreciate the help very much.

YOU GUYS ROCK!
    m
    l
    a c 199 à CPUs
    October 11, 2009 4:03:25 PM

Yes, the 5870x2 is what I want. I'm not going to buy any more games for a while because I have so many and it takes time to learn these games. You guys are so cool & informative! Thank you so much for responding.

The 5870 can't do this though ...... PhysX is adding some very imwersive graphics features to games.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_ph...

well or so we thought......

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ATI-physx-patch...

Many Xfire users are now buying a 3rd nVidia card so they can enjoy these features too....at least until Nvidia breaks the hack which I would hope they would see a benefit to not doing.

m
    l
    a c 203 à CPUs
    October 11, 2009 4:29:16 PM

Building my own computer is what I'm going to do for sure. Please continue to let me know your opinions! I appreciate the help very much.
    Didn't you buy yourself a new Dell computer just a short while ago?
    --> My new Dell Studio XPS 435T has the best performance!
    Quote:
    I predict that this computer will last me at least 4 years and then I will consider buying the Alienware line of computers or I will build my own. I think that I got a good price and a good value from Dell.

m
    l
    December 23, 2009 6:31:28 PM

you can spend much less and get more if you build it yourself
    m
    l
    !