Potentially Dumb Question - Bios & My Computer Discrepency

CenturyStanding

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hey everyone,

I recently added two new sticks of 2GB DDR2 RAM to my PC, upgrading the total RAM to 8GB.

I followed the instructions for installation and checked the BIOS, which reads the appropriate amount of memory (8,000,000+ KB). However, when I start up Windows and check the Properties under My Computer, it reads that my machine only has 2.75 GB of RAM.

Is this normal? Is there a problem? If so, do you have any suggestions to fix it?

Any information you have is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
It means the additional memory is not be used by the OS. The RAM is there because your BIOS found the correct amount. The 32-bit windows OSes cannot see or use more than ~3.5 GBs of the total memory in the system, it's just the way MS made them.
It sounds like you are using a 32-bit (x86) windows operating system; those OSes can only read and address about 3.5 GBs of to memory (RAM, L1, L2, L3, and GPU mem). For windows to see and use all of your 8GB RAM, you'll need to use a 64-bit (x64) version of the OS.

It means the additional memory is not be used by the OS. The RAM is there because your BIOS found the correct amount. The 32-bit windows OSes cannot see or use more than ~3.5 GBs of the total memory in the system, it's just the way MS made them.

Solution