External Hard drive Issue.

arashiii123

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Hi guys I have a Astone ISO GEAR 481E 3.5" SATA to USB2.0 eSATA External HDD. I don't know why but it powers up and warms up but it doesn't connect to the computer, usually when i plug a USB in it makes a sound but it doesnt for my hard drive for some reason. I've had it for quite awhile now and its been fine... can someone help me here?

Thanks

Edit: I cannot see my hard drive in device manager!

Solution
The enclosure may have gone bad. Try taking the drive out of the enclosure and attaching it to an open sata port on your mitherboard. If it doesn't show up in disk management then, it's most likely dead.

arashiii123

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
I've tried different USB ports and cables i did try to open it and see if anything was wrong inside but the whole thing is bolted down tight i couldnt move anything, so I thought it would be fine since it would have came like that?

I've been to device manager but I cant find it...

arashiii123

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
ok... ive opened my hard drive and unbolted it and fixed the issue with the computer not being able to detect the USB.

*New Issue*
USB Device Not Recognized... It was working fine till I restarted my computer... not it tells me the device is not recognized... what the hell is going on...

How did you fix the issue after unbolting the drive? Did you hook it up to your motherboard? If so, did it show up properly. After attaching it to your motherboard, you may still need to go into disk management and assign it a drive letter for it to show up properly.

arashiii123

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011

The issue was the company that made it didnt actually plug the hard drive onto the circit board lol :p it was only half plugged in, I just unbolted it and pushed it onto the things properly, as for the detection issue i installed a new drive and it now works fine.

Issues solved :)