Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

External Hard drive Issue.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
March 23, 2011 9:09:05 AM

Hi guys I have a Astone ISO GEAR 481E 3.5" SATA to USB2.0 eSATA External HDD. I don't know why but it powers up and warms up but it doesn't connect to the computer, usually when i plug a USB in it makes a sound but it doesnt for my hard drive for some reason. I've had it for quite awhile now and its been fine... can someone help me here?

Thanks

Edit: I cannot see my hard drive in device manager!

More about : external hard drive issue

a c 137 G Storage
March 23, 2011 12:51:11 PM

Have you tried it on another computer or different USB ports? Use a different cable?
Can you open up the enclosure and reseat the drive/check for loose connections?
m
0
l
a c 392 G Storage
March 23, 2011 1:42:59 PM

It may be a drive letter confilct. Go into device manager and see if it's there. If it is, assign it a new drive letter.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 23, 2011 11:28:30 PM

I've tried different USB ports and cables i did try to open it and see if anything was wrong inside but the whole thing is bolted down tight i couldnt move anything, so I thought it would be fine since it would have came like that?

I've been to device manager but I cant find it...
m
0
l
a c 392 G Storage
March 24, 2011 11:05:24 AM

arashiii123 said:

I've been to device manager but I cant find it...


Sorry, my fault, I meant disk management. Right click "my computer", then "manage". Disk management should be in the left pane.
m
0
l
March 30, 2011 4:12:02 AM

yes ive been there aswell, couldnt find it :( 
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 392 G Storage
March 30, 2011 11:45:49 AM

The enclosure may have gone bad. Try taking the drive out of the enclosure and attaching it to an open sata port on your mitherboard. If it doesn't show up in disk management then, it's most likely dead.
Share
March 30, 2011 12:01:46 PM

I missed, have you tried to connect it to another computer?
m
0
l
April 3, 2011 11:37:01 AM

ok... ive opened my hard drive and unbolted it and fixed the issue with the computer not being able to detect the USB.

*New Issue*
USB Device Not Recognized... It was working fine till I restarted my computer... not it tells me the device is not recognized... what the hell is going on...
m
0
l
a c 392 G Storage
April 4, 2011 11:54:29 AM

arashiii123 said:
ok... ive opened my hard drive and unbolted it and fixed the issue with the computer not being able to detect the USB.

*New Issue*
USB Device Not Recognized... It was working fine till I restarted my computer... not it tells me the device is not recognized... what the hell is going on...


How did you fix the issue after unbolting the drive? Did you hook it up to your motherboard? If so, did it show up properly. After attaching it to your motherboard, you may still need to go into disk management and assign it a drive letter for it to show up properly.
m
0
l
April 5, 2011 2:24:01 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
How did you fix the issue after unbolting the drive? Did you hook it up to your motherboard? If so, did it show up properly. After attaching it to your motherboard, you may still need to go into disk management and assign it a drive letter for it to show up properly.


The issue was the company that made it didnt actually plug the hard drive onto the circit board lol :p  it was only half plugged in, I just unbolted it and pushed it onto the things properly, as for the detection issue i installed a new drive and it now works fine.

Issues solved :) 
m
0
l
a c 392 G Storage
April 5, 2011 11:53:46 AM

Great, glad it turned out to be something simple. Shame on ISO Gear's QC.
m
0
l
April 15, 2011 4:55:47 PM

Best answer selected by arashiii123.
m
0
l
!