Does your game run fairly fast (sims2)?

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a diff and
what is yours? Thanks!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:- ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Kristy
((¸¸.·´ ..·´-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·
56 answers Last reply
More about does game fairly fast sims2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Kristy wrote:
    > I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    > hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    > enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    > motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a
    > diff and what is yours? Thanks!

    I have no idea what kind of motherboard I have. I'm using a Dell Dimension
    8200, with a P4 2.8Mhz processor, with 768MB of RDRAM. My video card is a
    Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB of video RAM. The game runs fine on my
    computer. It takes it a while to load each neighborhood and house because
    I've got a lot of downloads. I'd like to upgrade my hard drive (which is
    only 40GB with about 11GB left on it) and get a better video card. Some
    day!

    I really think you need at least 512MB of RAM to run this game properly with
    at least 64MB on your video card, regardless of what the system requirements
    on the game box says.


    Jeanie
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Thanks! When I save up the money I'm getting my PC upgraded.

    "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    news:Fv6pe.29697$nG6.10350@attbi_s22...
    > Kristy wrote:
    >> I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    >> hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    >> enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    >> motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a
    >> diff and what is yours? Thanks!
    >
    > I have no idea what kind of motherboard I have. I'm using a Dell
    > Dimension
    > 8200, with a P4 2.8Mhz processor, with 768MB of RDRAM. My video card is a
    > Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB of video RAM. The game runs fine on my
    > computer. It takes it a while to load each neighborhood and house because
    > I've got a lot of downloads. I'd like to upgrade my hard drive (which is
    > only 40GB with about 11GB left on it) and get a better video card. Some
    > day!
    >
    > I really think you need at least 512MB of RAM to run this game properly
    > with
    > at least 64MB on your video card, regardless of what the system
    > requirements
    > on the game box says.
    >
    >
    > Jeanie
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Kristy wrote:
    > I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    > hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    > enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    > motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a
    > diff and what is yours? Thanks!

    I have an Athlon XP 1.67GHz, 1GB DDR333, MSI KT6 Delta, Radeon 9200SE 128MB
    DDR, 69 downloads and University.

    I would say as a minimum you need a good Athlon or low P4, 512MB DDR or 1GB
    SD (I'd sugets against SD as DDR is better and SD is dying), there's
    millions of motherboards so just get one that will support everything else,
    and Radeon 9200 128MB, I don't know about a Nvidia equivalent.

    It currently takes about 30 secs to load the game, a neighbourhood or a
    house. For some reason I found that installing university spead it up.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:13:57 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    wrote:

    >I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    >hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least

    What hourglass? I only get the hourglass for about 10 secs after I
    ALT+TAB into windows.

    >enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    >motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a diff and
    >what is yours? Thanks!

    Well... what are your specs, currently? Have you tried turning down
    the graphical options to a minimum?

    Truth be told you can get more powerful computers than mine now,
    cheaper, because the older components are in short supply.

    Have you ever built a computer before? Or do you know someone
    qualified? Do you have an LCD monitor? What is it's native resolution?

    I run an AMD 2400+ overclocked to 3200+ and a Radeon 9800 PRO slightly
    overclocked, and a gig of DDR1 memory, and the game runs pretty much
    smooth, at 1024x768 with full graphics settings, lighting, shadows, UI
    translucensy, and FULL edge smoothing (antialiasing, which EATS GPU
    power)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:12:05 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >I have no idea what kind of motherboard I have. I'm using a Dell Dimension
    >8200, with a P4 2.8Mhz processor, with 768MB of RDRAM. My video card is a
    >Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB of video RAM. The game runs fine on my

    Wow, you actually have RAMBUS memory!? hehehe

    >computer. It takes it a while to load each neighborhood and house because
    >I've got a lot of downloads. I'd like to upgrade my hard drive (which is

    It takes a good long time for me too, and I don't have that many. I
    haven't noticed a significant increase in time after adding in a bunch
    either.

    >only 40GB with about 11GB left on it) and get a better video card. Some
    >day!

    Pop in a 200GB harddrive and a decent videocard and you're set for
    several years more.

    >I really think you need at least 512MB of RAM to run this game properly with
    >at least 64MB on your video card, regardless of what the system requirements
    >on the game box says.

    I'd have to agree. Sims 2 really enjoys memory. 768MB of Rambus should
    be plenty though.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:12:05 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I have no idea what kind of motherboard I have. I'm using a Dell
    >> Dimension 8200, with a P4 2.8Mhz processor, with 768MB of RDRAM. My
    >> video card is a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 with 64MB of video RAM. The
    >> game runs fine on my
    >
    > Wow, you actually have RAMBUS memory!? hehehe

    It certainly wasn't by choice, I can tell you. If I'd known how much the
    dang stuff costs when I was computer shopping I'd have passed this one by.
    But, I didn't, and now I've got it. The motherboard supports 2 GB of the
    stuff, with four 512Mb mimms, but that would cost me about $1000 so forget
    it!

    >
    >> computer. It takes it a while to load each neighborhood and house
    >> because I've got a lot of downloads. I'd like to upgrade my hard
    >> drive (which is
    >
    > It takes a good long time for me too, and I don't have that many. I
    > haven't noticed a significant increase in time after adding in a bunch
    > either.

    I tend to download in marathon binges. I've been on one now all day long
    and haven't stopped to install anything yet. *sigh* Why do I keep doing
    this?!?

    >
    >> only 40GB with about 11GB left on it) and get a better video card.
    >> Some day!
    >
    > Pop in a 200GB harddrive and a decent videocard and you're set for
    > several years more.

    That's my plan, though the HD is more likely to be a bit smaller than that.
    I'm trying to decide on which video card to go for.

    >
    >> I really think you need at least 512MB of RAM to run this game
    >> properly with at least 64MB on your video card, regardless of what
    >> the system requirements on the game box says.
    >
    > I'd have to agree. Sims 2 really enjoys memory. 768MB of Rambus should
    > be plenty though.

    It seems to be. When I use the intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 50 in the
    neighborhood screen, I can invite every sim the party thrower knows and
    still have my computer run without lagging, though it is impossible to keep
    an eye on all of them during the party. I tend to play in marathon binges,
    too, and after I've been at it for hours, I have to reboot the computer in
    order to do anything else, though. It's impossible to get anything to open
    after a bout like that.

    Jeanie
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Have you tried turning down
    > the graphical options to a minimum?
    >
    I haven't tried that but I will, thx!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:32:44 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
    <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

    >I would say as a minimum you need a good Athlon or low P4, 512MB DDR or 1GB
    >SD (I'd sugets against SD as DDR is better and SD is dying), there's
    >millions of motherboards so just get one that will support everything else,
    >and Radeon 9200 128MB, I don't know about a Nvidia equivalent.

    SD has been dead a while. Rambus is dead too. And DDR is old. You can
    buy DDR2 and 3 memory now.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com> wrote in message
    news:Y_SdnRqg_ZlHVznfRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
    > I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    > hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    > enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    > motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a diff and
    > what is yours? Thanks!
    >

    A few months ago, I upgraded to a Radeon 9550 256MB video card, and got a
    HUGE boost over the 64MB built in video card my homemade machine had. I had
    a P4 1.8GHZ with 1GB of RAM. I found that the video card made a heck of a
    lot more difference than most anything else I did.

    I decided to build a new machine anyway, but I kept the 9550 video card I
    just bought. I built an AMD 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM, and 160 GB of hard disc
    space on the main drive. I have a 120 GB secondary drive, but I use it for
    video editing.

    I tired of buying "boxed" computers. Building one is more expensive, but
    it's not too hard, and doesn't seem to be quite so cranky. They pre-load
    most of the "boxed" computers with so much rubbish, and some aren't quite as
    easy to upgrade, I just decided to start making my own.

    --
    Emily E

    www.emilyw.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:35:28 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >> Pop in a 200GB harddrive and a decent videocard and you're set for
    >> several years more.
    >
    >That's my plan, though the HD is more likely to be a bit smaller than that.
    >I'm trying to decide on which video card to go for.

    Samsung Spinpoint! Very quiet, very fast, very cheap, very reliable.
    For a vidcard, what's your budget?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:35:28 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Pop in a 200GB harddrive and a decent videocard and you're set for
    >>> several years more.
    >>
    >> That's my plan, though the HD is more likely to be a bit smaller
    >> than that. I'm trying to decide on which video card to go for.
    >
    > Samsung Spinpoint! Very quiet, very fast, very cheap, very reliable.
    > For a vidcard, what's your budget?

    It will depend on whether I've won at bingo lately. <g>
    Probably around $200 or less, though.

    Jeanie
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:13:57 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    wrote:

    >I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    >hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    >enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    >motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a diff and
    >what is yours? Thanks!

    Mine runs fairly fast on my Athlon 64 3700+ with 2GM memory, 200GB
    serial ATA HD and Radeon 9800pro video card. Having tried the game on
    variuos systems, I would say that memory and video cards are what make
    the biggest difference. 1GB memory and a good video card is what I
    would recommend.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    > Mine runs fairly fast on my Athlon 64 3700+ with 2GM memory, 200GB
    > serial ATA HD and Radeon 9800pro video card. Having tried the game on
    > variuos systems, I would say that memory and video cards are what make
    > the biggest difference. 1GB memory and a good video card is what I
    > would recommend.

    Thanks. I have 2400+ Athlon but only 264 memory and the factory video card.
    Sounds like I need more memory and possibly a good video card.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:35:27 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >It will depend on whether I've won at bingo lately. <g>
    >Probably around $200 or less, though.

    Either spend 120-30$ on a Radeon 9800 PRO or throw in a few more bucks
    and buy a 6600GT or Ultra. But no LE, Se or any other designation :-)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:35:27 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >> It will depend on whether I've won at bingo lately. <g>
    >> Probably around $200 or less, though.
    >
    > Either spend 120-30$ on a Radeon 9800 PRO or throw in a few more bucks
    > and buy a 6600GT or Ultra. But no LE, Se or any other designation :-)

    Thanks. I made a note of that.

    Jeanie
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:33:53 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >Thanks. I made a note of that.

    And do make sure it's the right slot! hehe AGP and PCI Express do not
    physically fit eachother. PCI is also not the same as PCI Express and
    to my knowledge do not fit eachother. In your computer you likely have
    AGP and ordinary PCI slots.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > And do make sure it's the right slot! hehe AGP and PCI Express do not
    > physically fit eachother. PCI is also not the same as PCI Express and
    > to my knowledge do not fit eachother.

    PCI Express looks exactly the same as PCI, except for the fact that it is
    round the other way. IE, the short group of 'contacts' between the card and
    socket is closer to the connections (VGA, DVI, etc.) than the long group.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:scqba1hqosvn6r8l2ov254n579h0acujje@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:33:53 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks. I made a note of that.
    >
    > And do make sure it's the right slot! hehe AGP and PCI Express do not
    > physically fit eachother. PCI is also not the same as PCI Express and
    > to my knowledge do not fit eachother. In your computer you likely have
    > AGP and ordinary PCI slots.

    My sister has a new machine with a PCI Express slot. She upgraded her
    videocard from a 128 to a 256MB one, and paid BIG BUCKS because of that
    silly slot. She's a big Doom player, so I guess that was worth it to her.
    --
    Emily E

    www.emilyw.com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:49:06 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks. I have 2400+ Athlon but only 264 memory and the factory video card.
    >Sounds like I need more memory and possibly a good video card.

    Exactly right. A 2400... intriguing... both the older Thoroughbred
    24's and the new Barton's were for the most part extremely
    overclockable. Mine ran at 3800+ with no problem. You should try
    overclocking it. When your computer starts, hit "DEL" look through the
    various menues with arrow up/down... see if you can't crank that baby
    up. It may quite likely be necessary to set the memory multiplier
    lower, since the memory and CPU bus (FSB) are tied into eachother.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Cool, I'll give it a try.
    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:a1vba111gpukgpkemhntb0oci7lu60edu5@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:49:06 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks. I have 2400+ Athlon but only 264 memory and the factory video
    >>card.
    >>Sounds like I need more memory and possibly a good video card.
    >
    > Exactly right. A 2400... intriguing... both the older Thoroughbred
    > 24's and the new Barton's were for the most part extremely
    > overclockable. Mine ran at 3800+ with no problem. You should try
    > overclocking it. When your computer starts, hit "DEL" look through the
    > various menues with arrow up/down... see if you can't crank that baby
    > up. It may quite likely be necessary to set the memory multiplier
    > lower, since the memory and CPU bus (FSB) are tied into eachother.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:00:32 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    wrote:

    >overclockable. Mine ran at 3800+ with no problem. You should try

    And by that I mean, the 2400+ which was IIRC a 1.47Ghz CPU ran at
    2.4Ghz :-D
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    wrote in message news:o7vba1tc7sejssrj9vl35bsnma7f8rqbaa@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:00:32 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    > <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>overclockable. Mine ran at 3800+ with no problem. You should try
    >
    > And by that I mean, the 2400+ which was IIRC a 1.47Ghz CPU ran at
    > 2.4Ghz :-D

    How do you overclock? Oh dear, I may be getting into something over my
    head here. LOL

    Betty
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Kristy wrote:
    > I've switched back to sims 1 because I'm so tired of looking at the
    > hourglass. For those of you whose game runs fairly quickly, at least
    > enjoyable enough to play regularly, what do you consider minimum in
    > motherboard, speed, ram and especially does the video card make a
    > diff and what is yours? Thanks!

    Mine runs fairly fast. My cpu is only 1.53 gHz but I do have 768 of RAM and
    a good video card. Speed has not been a problem for me.

    Gareeth
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:33:53 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. I made a note of that.
    >
    > And do make sure it's the right slot! hehe AGP and PCI Express do not
    > physically fit eachother. PCI is also not the same as PCI Express and
    > to my knowledge do not fit eachother. In your computer you likely have
    > AGP and ordinary PCI slots.

    Thanks for that. I was looking at video cards at Best Buy a couple of
    weekends ago and saw those PCI Express ones and wondered if they'd work in
    my computer's PCI slot. I'm glad to have this information. I'll likely be
    looking for an AGP card. I've been looking online for that one you
    mentioned and it's expensive! The Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB DDR AGP card at
    Best Buy is $499.99. The ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR AGP
    card is $299.99. Both are a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.

    I don't want to spend over $200, because that will bite into my hard drive
    budget, too.

    Jeanie
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Betty wrote:
    > How do you overclock? Oh dear, I may be getting into something over my
    > head here. LOL

    It will be somewhere in the bios setup - mine is under 'frequencies and
    voltages'. But be careful as you could irrepairably damage your processor.
    I looked into overclocking mine, but I don't think the heat sync would be
    able to handle it because of my poorly designed case - the PSU is *directly*
    above it with about 5mm space, so the CPU gets quite hot and the system gets
    very hot, so I ended up buying a sys fan. If I wanted to overclock, I would
    need a new case.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:14:52 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
    <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

    >PCI Express looks exactly the same as PCI, except for the fact that it is
    >round the other way. IE, the short group of 'contacts' between the card and
    >socket is closer to the connections (VGA, DVI, etc.) than the long group.

    Aaahh
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:57:26 -0500, "Bathtub"
    <eelliott@nospam.emilyw.com> wrote:

    >My sister has a new machine with a PCI Express slot. She upgraded her
    >videocard from a 128 to a 256MB one, and paid BIG BUCKS because of that
    >silly slot. She's a big Doom player, so I guess that was worth it to her.

    Huh? She upgraded just the card? You mean she switched cards, right?
    To my knowledge you can't buy memory chips and put them on vidcards
    yourself, because they're stuck on pretty good, sometimes welded, and
    all the slots are filled.

    I would never recommend anyone change their vidcard JUST to get twice
    as much videomemory.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > Huh? She upgraded just the card? You mean she switched cards, right?

    'To upgrade' means to take out old hardware and put newer, better hardware
    in. So by upgrading a graphics card you are putting a newer, better one in.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:35:32 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for that. I was looking at video cards at Best Buy a couple of
    >weekends ago and saw those PCI Express ones and wondered if they'd work in
    >my computer's PCI slot. I'm glad to have this information. I'll likely be
    >looking for an AGP card. I've been looking online for that one you

    Right click on your desktop, one of your NVIDIA or ATI (depending on
    what card you have) tabs should tell you if there's an AGP involved
    there, because it'll be set to AGP 4 or 8 most likely.

    >mentioned and it's expensive! The Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB DDR AGP card at
    >Best Buy is $499.99. The ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB DDR AGP

    HUH. No way! They cost like 120$ here!

    >card is $299.99. Both are a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.

    Sounds like someone's trying to cheat you. You can also order
    components online, it's usually cheaper, and almost as safe. If you
    have a problem, you just cover the cost of mailing it back and they
    send you a replacement product.

    >I don't want to spend over $200, because that will bite into my hard drive
    >budget, too.

    I see... Best Buy eh? Hmm...

    If you really want to shop at Best Buy I suggest you get this one.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7048802&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1108124982680

    It's basically a Radeon 9800 PRO in a new package, it may even be a
    little be faster, but it's 70$ more expensive than if you say, order a
    9800 PRO online or in a good component store.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:11:54 -0500, "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm sure I'll get my head bitten off when I say this. LOL I read about
    >RDRAM and it
    >is suppose to be better than DDR. I believe the reason for it to lose
    >popularity was the price!!! Now,

    Oh no, you're quite right. Rambus was great for memory bandwidth
    purpouses. Trouble was no systems in that day could utilize it, so it
    was pretty much a huge waste of money, and IIRC it also had other
    problems including production capacity, and the fact that it screwed
    over other computer manufacturers because they would become reliant on
    Intel. Rambus was kinda like... plugging a watermain into your car
    engine to carry fuel... no engine can utilize it's potential hehe.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 06:17:55 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
    <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

    >It will be somewhere in the bios setup - mine is under 'frequencies and
    >voltages'. But be careful as you could irrepairably damage your processor.

    Not by overclocking. Your computer will just crash. But if you
    overvolt and your CPU cooling is insufficient and you don't have your
    system set for temperature shutdown, it could melt your CPU, even
    though that too is unlikely, since a CPU normally runs at 30-70C
    degrees and has a cooking point of 110C

    >I looked into overclocking mine, but I don't think the heat sync would be
    >able to handle it because of my poorly designed case - the PSU is *directly*
    >above it with about 5mm space, so the CPU gets quite hot and the system gets
    >very hot, so I ended up buying a sys fan. If I wanted to overclock, I would
    >need a new case.

    Dunno about that, anyone can overclock. Try *just* increasing the CPU
    speed, with no change in voltage or anything, and install Motherboard
    Monitor or the like to monitor temperature.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:10:48 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    wrote:

    >Cool, I'll give it a try.

    JUST STAY AWAY FROM THOSE VOLTAGE SETTINGS! :-P

    That's for the kids at the head of GP's computer shop class! LOL
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:19:37 -0500, "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com>
    wrote:

    >I have to disagree about building a computer costing more. My son built
    >a computer for
    >around 700 dollars that was equal to most 2000 ones. Maybe I
    >misunderstood you?

    Smart kid :-)

    My brother in law bought himself a 5000$ Compaq dollar computer about
    a year ago. My homebuilt 1200$ put it to shame :-)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:17:47 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
    <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

    >'To upgrade' means to take out old hardware and put newer, better hardware
    >in. So by upgrading a graphics card you are putting a newer, better one in.

    Yeah, I just don't understand why someone would do that to go from 128
    to 256.. the performance difference in current applications is like
    1-2%.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    >Dunno about that, anyone can overclock. Try *just* increasing the CPU
    >speed, with no change in voltage or anything, and install Motherboard
    >Monitor or the like to monitor temperature.


    On some motherboards, if you increase the CPU speed by changing
    frequency and/or multiplier you also increase the speed of the memory
    and some memory modules don't like that. The result is damaged files
    and crashes. Happened all the time with my old computer with Twinmos
    memory chips.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:04:20 +0200, Strider <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote:

    >On some motherboards, if you increase the CPU speed by changing
    >frequency and/or multiplier you also increase the speed of the memory
    >and some memory modules don't like that. The result is damaged files
    >and crashes. Happened all the time with my old computer with Twinmos
    >memory chips.

    They can become corrupted in memory, but I don't believe they're
    physically corrupted on the harddrive?
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:21:46 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:04:20 +0200, Strider <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote:
    >
    >>On some motherboards, if you increase the CPU speed by changing
    >>frequency and/or multiplier you also increase the speed of the memory
    >>and some memory modules don't like that. The result is damaged files
    >>and crashes. Happened all the time with my old computer with Twinmos
    >>memory chips.
    >
    >They can become corrupted in memory, but I don't believe they're
    >physically corrupted on the harddrive?

    Yes, they were. Especially compressed HD images created by Symantec
    Ghost, all of them became corrupt when I overclocked. When I didn't
    overclock the images were all right. Overclocking worked OK with
    Kingston memory on the same motherboard and the same CPU, so I'm sure
    it was the memory.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:04:19 +0200, Strider <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote:

    >Yes, they were. Especially compressed HD images created by Symantec
    >Ghost, all of them became corrupt when I overclocked. When I didn't
    >overclock the images were all right. Overclocking worked OK with
    >Kingston memory on the same motherboard and the same CPU, so I'm sure
    >it was the memory.

    Ouch. Never happened to me, but then I bench the computer pretty hard
    before I give it a clean bill of health.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:hu5da1pchfjsheeb69dmh4njt2npds4spq@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:57:26 -0500, "Bathtub"
    > <eelliott@nospam.emilyw.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My sister has a new machine with a PCI Express slot. She upgraded her
    >>videocard from a 128 to a 256MB one, and paid BIG BUCKS because of that
    >>silly slot. She's a big Doom player, so I guess that was worth it to her.
    >
    > Huh? She upgraded just the card? You mean she switched cards, right?
    > To my knowledge you can't buy memory chips and put them on vidcards
    > yourself, because they're stuck on pretty good, sometimes welded, and
    > all the slots are filled.
    >
    > I would never recommend anyone change their vidcard JUST to get twice
    > as much videomemory.

    She took out the ATI 128MB card that came with her machine, and insisted on
    putting in a 256MB one. She was afraid to do it herself, so she bought the
    card, then had me do it when I went to visit.

    It's her money, so I couldn't say too much about it.

    --
    Emily E

    www.emilyw.com
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:17:47 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
    > <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:
    >
    >> 'To upgrade' means to take out old hardware and put newer, better
    >> hardware in. So by upgrading a graphics card you are putting a
    >> newer, better one in.
    >
    > Yeah, I just don't understand why someone would do that to go from 128
    > to 256.. the performance difference in current applications is like
    > 1-2%.

    Well, maybe you know that, but for most of us, it sure sounds like it would
    be twice as good. If it turns out not to be, that is what is called an
    expensive life lesson for us. Lucky we have someone like you to give us the
    heads up on such things! Thanks.

    Jeanie
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:35:32 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for that. I was looking at video cards at Best Buy a couple
    >> of weekends ago and saw those PCI Express ones and wondered if
    >> they'd work in my computer's PCI slot. I'm glad to have this
    >> information. I'll likely be looking for an AGP card. I've been
    >> looking online for that one you
    >
    > Right click on your desktop, one of your NVIDIA or ATI (depending on
    > what card you have) tabs should tell you if there's an AGP involved
    > there, because it'll be set to AGP 4 or 8 most likely.
    >
    >> mentioned and it's expensive! The Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB DDR AGP
    >> card at Best Buy is $499.99. The ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 PRO
    >> 128 MB DDR AGP
    >
    > HUH. No way! They cost like 120$ here!
    >
    >> card is $299.99. Both are a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.
    >
    > Sounds like someone's trying to cheat you. You can also order
    > components online, it's usually cheaper, and almost as safe. If you
    > have a problem, you just cover the cost of mailing it back and they
    > send you a replacement product.
    >
    >> I don't want to spend over $200, because that will bite into my hard
    >> drive budget, too.
    >
    > I see... Best Buy eh? Hmm...
    >
    > If you really want to shop at Best Buy I suggest you get this one.
    >
    >
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7048802&type=product&productCa
    tegoryId=cat01151&id=1108124982680
    >
    > It's basically a Radeon 9800 PRO in a new package, it may even be a
    > little be faster, but it's 70$ more expensive than if you say, order a
    > 9800 PRO online or in a good component store.

    Every one I've been able to find online was well over $200, though. That
    one you list up there is $200.

    Jeanie
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
    wrote in message news:ib6da1lp51c2boee9mfn2kr436ge56reul@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:11:54 -0500, "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm sure I'll get my head bitten off when I say this. LOL I read about
    >>RDRAM and it
    >>is suppose to be better than DDR. I believe the reason for it to lose
    >>popularity was the price!!! Now,
    >
    > Oh no, you're quite right. Rambus was great for memory bandwidth
    > purpouses. Trouble was no systems in that day could utilize it, so it
    > was pretty much a huge waste of money, and IIRC it also had other
    > problems including production capacity, and the fact that it screwed
    > over other computer manufacturers because they would become reliant on
    > Intel. Rambus was kinda like... plugging a watermain into your car
    > engine to carry fuel... no engine can utilize it's potential hehe.

    Well, I declare! I figured such. LOL Oh well, it's good they stopped
    using it. I'll be more
    careful with the next computer I buy. Not sure I want anymore DELL's.
    LOL

    Betty
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Thanks for the info but I think I'll just leave things as they are. LOL
    I probably would screw things up.

    Betty

    "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    news:n4wpe.5297$jS3.1194@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
    > Betty wrote:
    >> How do you overclock? Oh dear, I may be getting into something over
    >> my
    >> head here. LOL
    >
    > It will be somewhere in the bios setup - mine is under 'frequencies
    > and voltages'. But be careful as you could irrepairably damage your
    > processor. I looked into overclocking mine, but I don't think the heat
    > sync would be able to handle it because of my poorly designed case -
    > the PSU is *directly* above it with about 5mm space, so the CPU gets
    > quite hot and the system gets very hot, so I ended up buying a sys
    > fan. If I wanted to overclock, I would need a new case.
    >
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Have you tried NewEgg? That's where I bought my video card and my son
    bought all the stuff
    to build his computer, it's a pretty good site and popular.

    http://www.newegg.com/

    Betty

    "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    news:sMGpe.36138$nG6.23933@attbi_s22...
    > Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:35:32 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for that. I was looking at video cards at Best Buy a couple
    >>> of weekends ago and saw those PCI Express ones and wondered if
    >>> they'd work in my computer's PCI slot. I'm glad to have this
    >>> information. I'll likely be looking for an AGP card. I've been
    >>> looking online for that one you
    >>
    >> Right click on your desktop, one of your NVIDIA or ATI (depending on
    >> what card you have) tabs should tell you if there's an AGP involved
    >> there, because it'll be set to AGP 4 or 8 most likely.
    >>
    >>> mentioned and it's expensive! The Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB DDR AGP
    >>> card at Best Buy is $499.99. The ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9800 PRO
    >>> 128 MB DDR AGP
    >>
    >> HUH. No way! They cost like 120$ here!
    >>
    >>> card is $299.99. Both are a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.
    >>
    >> Sounds like someone's trying to cheat you. You can also order
    >> components online, it's usually cheaper, and almost as safe. If you
    >> have a problem, you just cover the cost of mailing it back and they
    >> send you a replacement product.
    >>
    >>> I don't want to spend over $200, because that will bite into my hard
    >>> drive budget, too.
    >>
    >> I see... Best Buy eh? Hmm...
    >>
    >> If you really want to shop at Best Buy I suggest you get this one.
    >>
    >>
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7048802&type=product&productCa
    > tegoryId=cat01151&id=1108124982680
    >>
    >> It's basically a Radeon 9800 PRO in a new package, it may even be a
    >> little be faster, but it's 70$ more expensive than if you say, order
    >> a
    >> 9800 PRO online or in a good component store.
    >
    > Every one I've been able to find online was well over $200, though.
    > That
    > one you list up there is $200.
    >
    > Jeanie
    >
    >
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    I just this subject line, and I want to start singing the Irish Rovers.

    Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

    -georg
    happy with the 1.8 gig processor and the 1.4 gig graphic card
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "georg" <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:cZKpe.3227$g5.2323@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    >
    > I just this subject line, and I want to start singing the Irish
    > Rovers.
    >
    > Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
    >
    > -georg
    > happy with the 1.8 gig processor and the 1.4 gig graphic card

    You have a 1.4 gig Graphic Card?? Wow, I've not even heard of them being
    that much.
    I thought 256 MB was the most. Gee I am behind times. ROTFL

    Betty
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com> wrote in message
    news:g-idndnNEbXJHjrfRVn-uA@valortelecom.com...
    >
    >>
    > Yes, but they are just cheap computers. A good computer equaled to what
    > you can build for
    > 800 dollars will be a lot more than 800 dollars store bought. That's what
    > I meant. :)
    > As the old sayin goes.......you get what you pay for. LOL or something to
    > that effect.
    >
    > Betty

    Yes, and it's actually kind of fun to put one together yourself.
    --
    Emily E

    www.emilyw.com
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Betty wrote:
    > You have a 1.4 gig Graphic Card?? Wow, I've not even heard of them
    > being that much.
    > I thought 256 MB was the most. Gee I am behind times. ROTFL

    I thnk she meant she has 1.4GHz GPU, although that is still quite a lot.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Will Bradshaw wrote:

    > Betty wrote:
    >
    >>You have a 1.4 gig Graphic Card?? Wow, I've not even heard of them
    >>being that much.
    >>I thought 256 MB was the most. Gee I am behind times. ROTFL
    >
    >
    > I thnk she meant she has 1.4GHz GPU, although that is still quite a lot.
    >
    >

    Actually, is 1.8 processor, 1.4 RAM

    Sorry about that.

    -georg
Ask a new question

Read More

Sims Games Video Games