Laptop CPU Running Too Hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammads

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Hey,

I have a HP Pavillion DV9548CA Notebook..
I feel like its running way too hot..

I'm using Everest to get this data.. ( I did use another utility before, im not sure about the name right now, but I got the same numbers)

Is this too hot? and If yes, what can I do to fix the problem?! Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. All im doing at the moment is MSN (chatting) and Web Browsing (Internet Explorer).. and I'm getting these numbers.. im not even playing a game yet!

___________info____________

Sensor Type CPU, HDD, ACPI
GPU Sensor Type Diode (NV-Diode)

Temperatures
CPU 63 °C (145 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 56 °C (133 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 56 °C (133 °F)
GPU Diode 70 °C (158 °F)
WDC WD1600BEVS-60RST0 64 °C (147 °F)
WDC WD1600BEVS-60RST0 44 °C (111 °F)
WDC WD10EACS-00D6B1 36 °C (97 °F)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.36 V

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5450
CPU Alias Merom-2M
CPU Stepping M0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
CPUID Revision 000006FDh
CPU VID 1.3625 V

CPU Speed
CPU Clock 997.5 MHz (original: 1667 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 6x

BIOS Properties
System BIOS Date 11/25/08
Video BIOS Date 09/04/07
DMI BIOS Version F.59

Graphics Processor Properties
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS (HP)
GPU Code Name G86M (PCI Express 1.0 x16 10DE / 0425, Rev A2)
GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 500 MHz
GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1000 MHz
Memory Clock 399 MHz

My experience with HP notebooks has been similair: they run hot until they crap out (3 in my case). However, those temps do seem high, especially under a very light load. You would have to see how high they get under full load (with caution) to be sure though. To start with cooling it down a bit, you could probably get a can of air and spray inside the notebook's heat release openings to dislodge and dust and such. Also ensure that when you are using it to keep it on a flat surface that allows for better displacement of heat, i.e. a hard cover book instead of your lap.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
56C is pretty normal for cores, but there is something wrong with CPU temp reading as it cannot be more then cores. Test Your temps with Core Temp. Do not worry about idle temps, load it with Prime95, You should start worying only if core temps goe over 75C at load.

hammads

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Ive had the laptop for about a year and a half now, just compared to my macbook pro.. this is as hot as the sun!

I used a compressed air duster before posting the temperatures.. it was running even hotter before.

Also, I see you guys are saying 50s-60s is not too bad.. but if I open a program (I dj, so lets say traktor for instance) it starts going into high 60's and ive seen mid to high 70s if i open another application or so..

I will try and get someone whos experienced in opening notebooks to apply some thermal paste, is there one you guys recommend?

btw, thanks alot for your quick replies, you guys are awesome!

Even 70s is fine for a notebook. Most of those CPUs are rated for up to 100C. I wouldn't open it and mess with it honestly.

Oh, and I bet your macbook pro exceeds 70C all the time, you just don't know about it. Apples are somewhat known for running hot.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hammads,

Direct a very strong light through the intake port to "backlight" the CPU cooling fins. You should be able to look through the exhaust port to see if there's still any dust stuck to the fins on the intake side. Use your can of air to "backflush" through the exhaust port, which should dislodge any dust from the fins. Use a tooth pick to scrape any dust stuck to the leading edge of the intake fan blades. Then use a vacuum cleaner to pull the dust back through the intake port, which will assure that dust remnants aren't pulled into the cooler fins when you power up.

Also, you can purchase stick-on feet that are several millimeters thicker than the existing feet, which will significantly increase airflow to the intake port, and will drop the temperatures ~ 5c. Finally, if you're in the habit of leaving your laptop on 24/7, you might want to minimize that, since it would decreases dust accumulation, and decreases the hours on moving parts such as the intake fan and hard drive spindle bearings, which have a nasty way of wearing out prematurely at the most inconvenient moment.

Comp :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.